Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 10:03:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
111 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 10:03:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Hawaii (1961)  (Read 1531 times)
Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2016, 01:34:35 pm »

I always like to watch movies about the places where I am living.  When I was living in Colorado, I watched Red Dawn, Wargames, and Dumb and Dumber, which of course give you a sense of the history of the place.  Since moving to Hawaii I have watched The Hawaiians, From Here to Eternity, and I just added to my list Blue Hawaii (also one of my favorite cocktails). 

Blue Hawaii stars Elvis Presley as Chad who has just returned to his Hawaiian home after doing his military stint overseas.  Chad wants to live fancy free and enjoy the natural treasures of Hawaii, but his pineapple magnet father wants him to take over the family business.  Chad has other ideas and with the help of his girlfriend Miley and a convertible full of vacationing ladies, he is determined to make is dreams come true.  As you can imagine, wackiness ensues!

The movie is trite and filled with seemingly light-hearted sexist and racist comments, as well as other unintentional social faux pas that you should expect to be in a romantic comedy that wasn’t crafted to be seen with modern eyes.  I did have the thought, ”did women really have to put up with this kind of behavior as a social norm ?” The technicolor looked spectacular on the big screen and my young daughter enjoyed the dance/song numbers throughout the film.  Angela Lansbury plays Chad’s mother and I was left with the thought that she has been an old lady her entire life!  I was introduced to her through Murder She Wrote, but even in the early 60s she looked old. 

It was cool seeing places that we frequent today as they were in 1961.  Chad lives at Hanauma Bay, which you most likely visited if you have been to Hawaii.  It is a snorkeling mecca and State Park today. 

Bottom Line:
  This movie was part of a 4 Pack that I got from Amazon for about $5.  It was fun taking a trip back in time and my daughter and I enjoyed it.  This is a good family friendly throw back.

Please check out my blog at Backyard Movies thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: