Backyard Theater Forum
December 16, 2017, 08:03:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
100 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 08:03:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm in the market for a new inflatable.  (Read 5799 times)
waverz

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2016, 12:31:34 pm »

Decided to pull the trigger on starting a BYT rental business and need some new screens.

As much as I would love to just use my Trapeze Fabric/EMT setup it's just not possible due to the way it needs to be hung so I am leaning towards inflatables.

Being I'm just starting out my budget is really tight. As much as I'd like to buy an American made screen made with heavy duty rip proof vinyl i simply don't have that kind of money.

I have been looking at the Loch 200 and the Disney Theme Loch 10' inflatables.

I'm assuming these kind of screens fall into the "you get what you pay for" category, but that's where I am at budget wise.

Does anyone here have any experience with Loch screens. Are they OK in light wind, will I at least be able to get a few seasons out of them?

Would I be better off looking at Frame style screens with my budget?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 03:05:54 pm »

I have a loch 200 used for backyard movie nights. It can be front or rear projection. I use it as a rear projection set up. I like it and so do my clients. I wanted something for both front and rear projection, light weight and looks GOOD. I do not like the cheap blower that comes with the screen.I bought a popular brand and keep the the cheap one as a back up.
For backyard set ups it is just fine.  Staked down properly it will handle the wind issue. The price is right too. I do not do a backyard jobs (no real money in it).  One person can set it up. I use 2 speaker. A console case with 1 Blu-ray player small audio mixer and 1 wireless mic.

movieman

rg
see you at the movies
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 03:13:11 pm »

I have a Loch screen and two Open Air Cinema inflatables. They're great for what they cost, but I'm in the process of replacing them with new screens from China that have detachable surfaces (easier to clean). If you don't mind buying used, I'll sell you my Loch / OAC screens for a great deal.

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
rich92069

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:51:38 am »

you guys have access to the best inflatable movie screens ever made yet you buy from China....

movieman

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 05:53:32 am »

Can you match OAC prices?

rg
see you at the movies
11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 01:45:30 pm »

you guys have access to the best inflatable movie screens ever made yet you buy from China....

My biggest renter is the 12x7 sized screen. I can source those screens from OAC or China for under $1000/each. I also own three larger Airscreens so I'm quite aware of the quality different between "real" cinema screens and "home" screens, but I can't justify the cost different for my smaller systems.

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
waverz

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2016, 07:25:51 pm »

Rich, I'd love to own one of your screens but I'm just starting out.  I'm in the middle of Iowa where the average inome is less than $50k a year.  I'll be lucky to to get enough business to justify the cosytof my Chinese screen. I hope I'm wrong though.

If business does well I will be getting a hold of you for sure.
rich92069

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2016, 12:57:11 am »

Can you match OAC prices?

My biggest renter is the 12x7 sized screen. I can source those screens from OAC or China for under $1000/each. I also own three larger Airscreens so I'm quite aware of the quality different between "real" cinema screens and "home" screens, but I can't justify the cost different for my smaller systems.

Rich, I'd love to own one of your screens but I'm just starting out.  I'm in the middle of Iowa where the average inome is less than $50k a year.  I'll be lucky to to get enough business to justify the cosytof my Chinese screen. I hope I'm wrong though.

If business does well I will be getting a hold of you for sure.

Im not able to compete with OAC residential home screen prices. All my pro screens are competitively priced a bit less then OAC.  I have a soft spot for my BYT brethren and will extend a pretty competitive discount. Just be sure to ask for me and let me know who you are from BYT Forum.  Cant promise I will beat your best price but will be in reach to purchase. Also if your timing is right I might have used movie screen or better yet a new prototype screen for a very inexpensive price.

The reality for rental operators is a few hundred dollar savings usually. If you think about the savings it's usually the difference of 2-3 rentals to get your money back out of your investment.

Also please realize I made making an inflatable movie screen difficult and costly. All my published screen designs are design patented and have utility patent functionality. Each are original and unique in design.

OAC and Chinese screens for example use the same tube frame. Each tube is 1 seam or pass with the sewing machine.  Then they connect the tubes to make the frame. For many of my movie screens each tube has multiple seams or passes with the sewing machine to make the tubes before we connect to complete the frame. Additionally many of my designs have baffles, another words an internal skeleton holding it's shape. All this triples my labor cost and taxed extra for building in America to boot. China doesn't have workers comp to pay.

Folks often take for granted in thinking this stuff is easy to make. Anyone who wants the experience of sewing and building their very own movie screen from scratch is invited to. Family vacation to San Diego, California. Have the family stay at the Lego land hotel while you spend 3-4 days building your very own movie screen and take it home. If you want to be the labor it could make it real.. real cheap.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:06:00 am by rich92069 » Logged

rich92069

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2016, 01:37:23 am »

In regards to your startup. I recommend anyone starting out should have a small and large screen from the start. Have one A/V system suitable for both screens. This will allow you to capture both small and large budget customers. I recommend an 8-10ft screen and a 16ft screen. A/V equipment is available over the counter now days at a moments notice. The moment you book both movie screens in the same day is the day you buy a second set of A/V.

I have a customer Josh at http://super-size-screens.com/ who took this advice about 6 years ago. Every season since he adds more screens and continues to grow his business today.

Success is really dependent on ones ability to advertise and market. When your starting out grass roots word of mouth is very important. Today this is easier through Social Media.  In time your website will get its hook into Google and will keep a steady flow of leads coming in.

I recommend drop-off style renting including A/V. Its great to drop off 3-5 screen rentals on a Friday and Saturday night all at once then pick them up all at once. With the right A/V equipment this is possible.
Even better now days many folks already own projectors and or have a friend with a projector.  Giving you the opportunity to only rent and setup inflatable. I rent 10ft $100, 12ft $150, 16ft $250 and 20ft  $400 all by it self no A/V. That's very easy money.. Poor Party Rental suckers delivering and setting  up 250lb inflatable bouncers for $60 - $100 a pop.

waverz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2016, 07:39:07 pm »

Rich,  thanks alot for the advice.  I really appreciate it.  I am planning on adding a second smaller screen to my line up soon. After that I really need to get some business before I make anymore major purchases.

I started a Facebook page and am having a "Grand Opening Giveaway". I've actually only had 2 people like, share, and comment as instructed. I'm going to use this giveaway as an opportunity to take pictures and get content for my page. Hopefully, it'll help get me another booking or two as well.

Also, thanks for the link to Super Size Screens. I love their business model.  It's awesome that they have such a great selection of different packages to offer.  I would love to be able just to drop off equipment and not go through the hassle of setting it all up and tearing it all down.  Unfortunately, I am not that trusting with my current setup.  If I can get some business I would love to add more av and screens to my inventory, especially something basic like super size is using.

Hopefully I can get some business going soon and I can start ordering screens from you.
rich92069

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 08:57:59 pm »

I started a Facebook page and am having a "Grand Opening Giveaway". I've actually only had 2 people like, share, and comment as instructed. I'm going to use this giveaway as an opportunity to take pictures and get content for my page. Hopefully, it'll help get me another booking or two as well.

Donation and giveaways rarely work out as we imagine in our head. I suggest using every opportunity you can to blow up a screen for friends and family. Have fun with it. Join local organizations like chamber of commerce. Rub elbows with the local decision makers if the opportunity comes up.

Most common thing that happens when we meet new people as adults... a small introduction. Which usually includes the question getting asked ...  "what do you do?"  answer... "I am the local fun guy specializing in outdoor movies and presentations using giant inflatable projections screens" 

I promise this will open the door to many great conversations with new people because they will be fascinated with what you do. Usually much funner then what they do for work. They will remember you the next time an opportunity comes up where a screen would come in handy.

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 01:30:29 pm »

Ok So I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread but everything I see the thread title something comes to mind and I can't keep my mouth shut any longer.

Where else can you have a thread titled "I'm in the market for a new inflatable" And it's not considered at least a little odd.

Sorry I couldn't help it.  Smiley Smiley

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 07:36:43 pm »

Ok So I have nothing useful to contribute to this thread but everything I see the thread title something comes to mind and I can't keep my mouth shut any longer.

Where else can you have a thread titled "I'm in the market for a new inflatable" And it's not considered at least a little odd.

Sorry I couldn't help it.  Smiley Smiley

BOAT Grin Grin Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: