Backyard Theater Forum
December 16, 2017, 11:06:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
80 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 16, 2017, 11:06:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for side tensioning  (Read 2405 times)
bigRoN

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2016, 03:31:28 pm »

I have now had my redwood structure in place for several years now. I typically make a few changes each season. Below is a view of it from after last night's viewing of Zootopia. The basic frame is made up of two 16-foot tall 1-foot by 1-foot vertical redwood cores on each side, with two 20-ftt redwood 2-inch by 12-inch boards connecting across the top. I have three 1-foot redwood cubes sandwiched equally-spaced between the two vertical pieces to prevent warpage of the 2 by 12.

I use a 2x8 at both the top and bottom of the screen to pull up and weight-down the screen. I installed three winches that pull up the top board that has a hook for each grommet of my screen (if I were to do it again, I'd only use two winches... the two outside and NOT the middle one). The bottom board also has a hook for each grommet. Now comes my request for ideas... I'd like a better system of pulling sideways tension. I am currently pulling tension with many bunjee cords after the screen is put up. This requires getting a ladder to get the top parts of the screen. I would like something that would eliminate the need for the ladder each time, as well as something to make the sideways tensioning a bit more regular, as some of the bunjees pull the screen tighter in some areas with less tension in others. The top and bottom boards do a fine job of evening tension at both the top and bottom of the screen but sides are just a little irregular.
kelemvor

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 03:46:06 pm »

Do you take the screen down after each showing?  My first thought was to use Bungee Ball things and attach them to a metal pipe that could go vertical and then the pipe could be bungeed to the post.  But that would have to be redone each time you put it up and would probably require the ladder..  Unless you can somehow leave the bungees attached and just feed the pipe through them from the bottom or something...  hmm.

Towndrunk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 09:28:56 pm »

Did you come up with something to pull your screen up and keep side tension?  I have been looking and putting something together like this.  There are a few out there, so I'm taking a little from each.  I was thinking of making something like yours, then have hooks at the top.  I could then hook my Carl's screen in its EMT frame to those hooks, and tie the bottom down to the ground to keep it tight.

It seems a little crude, so I'm trying to look around and see what others are doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: