Backyard Theater Forum
December 11, 2017, 09:52:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
87 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 09:52:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Showing live events with your BYT  (Read 7381 times)
Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:54:01 am »

UFC 200 is on 9 July and the Summer Olympics are at the end of the summer, so I did a post on my blog about how to show live events with your BYT. 

Bottom Line: Technology has made watching live events in your backyard easier than ever and in my opinion these events are always more fun with a group.

There are 2 ways to get the content out to your backyard.

1) Use a cable box and run a wired connection out to your projector.

Pro: Most stable connection, best quality
Con: Logistically challenging

2) Use a wireless connection to broadcast to a streaming device (Roku, Amazon Fire, XBOX, tablet, etc.) connected to your projector.

Pro: Most flexible
Con: Requires wireless infrastructure, Sacrifice quality of connection/broadcast

My more complete review is at the link below.
http://www.backyardmovies.net/?p=210

Please check out my blog at Backyard Movies thanks!
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 01:28:12 pm »

UFC 200 is on 9 July and the Summer Olympics are at the end of the summer, so I did a post on my blog about how to show live events with your BYT. 

Bottom Line: Technology has made watching live events in your backyard easier than ever and in my opinion these events are always more fun with a group.

2) Use a wireless connection to broadcast to a streaming device (Roku, Amazon Fire, XBOX, tablet, etc.) connected to your projector.

Con: Requires wireless infrastructure, Sacrifice quality of connection/broadcast

I'll read your review when I have a little bit more time but for now I just wanted to say that, at the old Sit & Vue before we moved the theater, when it was at my house we did live events occasionally.  I ran a 100' coax cable to a cable box and fed the PJ and sound off the cable box.  It worked fine and it was cheap.  We are not setup for live events at the new location nor is the Night-Sky.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 06:00:41 pm »

I'll read your review when I have a little bit more time but for now I just wanted to say that, at the old Sit & Vue before we moved the theater, when it was at my house we did live events occasionally.  I ran a 100' coax cable to a cable box and fed the PJ and sound off the cable box.  It worked fine and it was cheap.  We are not setup for live events at the new location nor is the Night-Sky.

Nice review.  To be perfectly clear what we use to do was show a local fireworks display live on the 4th of July.  Quite simply I would remove my cable box from my TV and take it outside.  From the outside wall of my house at the junction box, I'd disconnect the line to the TV and connect 100' coax cable that I would run into my backyard.  At the time and I'm not sure my current cable box is setup this way, but the old one had coax and RCA outputs.  So from the back of the cable box the RCA video output went straight to the projector, and the RCA outputs for audio went to the AMP and from there the AM transmitter.  It worked just fine and it was low cost but it was a pain in the butt for setup so we haven't done it since we moved the theater.  Sound really was not a problem and I didn't have to run though the projector with that setup.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 01:28:13 am »

Nice review.  To be perfectly clear what we use to do was show a local fireworks display live on the 4th of July.  Quite simply I would remove my cable box from my TV and take it outside.  From the outside wall of my house at the junction box, I'd disconnect the line to the TV and connect 100' coax cable that I would run into my backyard.  At the time and I'm not sure my current cable box is setup this way, but the old one had coax and RCA outputs.  So from the back of the cable box the RCA video output went straight to the projector, and the RCA outputs for audio went to the AMP and from there the AM transmitter.  It worked just fine and it was low cost but it was a pain in the butt for setup so we haven't done it since we moved the theater.  Sound really was not a problem and I didn't have to run though the projector with that setup.

Thank you for your addition.  The coaxial cable is a lot cheaper than an HDMI. While the HDMI offers a pretty streamlined setup, it does limit you somewhat.  It is great that you could split the audio off the box using the RCA cable.  My current cable company uses fiber optics, so you are really limited as to where you can run your cable boxes using coaxial cable.  I was originally thinking of just UFC when I did my writeup, but then I remembered Old Algebra talking about showing the olympics on  her site and I remembered they are right around the corner.

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 02:01:31 pm »

I now have my old cable input near my garage as an output for my directv. So I bring out a DTV box & show a live event in my driveway. But I don't do it much as I like showing movies & concerts in my backyard.
Oldalgebra

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 09:30:37 pm »

I used a cable hook-up for the 2012 Olympics.
Here's a little extra we added for the swimming and gymnastic events. I think they score them differently now, but you can adapt the idea.

http://www.crackerjacktheater.com/p/sports.html#OLYMPICS

lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 08:10:52 am »

I haven't tried a live event... Yet.   This year (the 2nd year doing shows off the deck) I am refining my processes, when my oldest moves out (graduates and "planning" on joining the navy) I will move his brother into his room and turn that room into a projection room.   I will have to get a better projector  Grin for 1 better connections (hdmi) and 2 throw distance (doubling the throw from current location) it will allow for me to easily connect to my satellite box and will protect most of my equipment from the elements.  I'm hoping that unless we have a monster storm I will still be able to do showings (live or Memorex) in rainy weather.

"Hey, hey, bing bing bing bing bang! POPCORN!"
Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 06:28:30 pm »

I used a cable hook-up for the 2012 Olympics.
Here's a little extra we added for the swimming and gymnastic events. I think they score them differently now, but you can adapt the idea.

http://www.crackerjacktheater.com/p/sports.html#OLYMPICS

I really love your site, I linked it in my resource section, yours is so well done.  Your garden looks like paradise!  I kind of dream of staying in a place long enough to have a more permanent setup. 

I especially enjoyed your olympics post I am thinking of maybe hosting an opening ceremony event. However, the idea of having people over and setting everything up after a week of work feels a little daunting!  It is once every four years though....

Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 06:33:02 pm »

I haven't tried a live event... Yet.   This year (the 2nd year doing shows off the deck) I am refining my processes, when my oldest moves out (graduates and "planning" on joining the navy) I will move his brother into his room and turn that room into a projection room.   I will have to get a better projector  Grin for 1 better connections (hdmi) and 2 throw distance (doubling the throw from current location) it will allow for me to easily connect to my satellite box and will protect most of my equipment from the elements.  I'm hoping that unless we have a monster storm I will still be able to do showings (live or Memorex) in rainy weather.

Judging from your screen name I am going to guess that you have done a little time in uniform yourself.  Your son is going to feel like he got a raw deal, he got boot camp, and you guys got the best new backyard sports bar in town!  Our lanai hangs over the porch a bit, so if I setup my gear just right I can keep it out of the rain.  We get a lot of rain on my side of the island, so that is a pretty nice to have.  I would like to get try rear projection, but I need to rig something up to get my setup dry.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: