Backyard Theater Forum
December 17, 2017, 06:21:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
98 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 06:21:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: replacing old InFocus in24+ep  (Read 3178 times)
bugbitten

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:12:32 pm »

I've been using this projector for maybe six years in our BYT. It works well (I still remember being blown away by it streaming a Lost episode rather stunningly on a particularly dark night), but I'm tired of being limited to source devices with component video outputs, so it's time to upgrade. I mostly stream through a Roku connected to my network via Ethernet, but also play DVDs and blu ray. My LG blu ray player has died, which is pushing me to upgrade. The audio is fed into a Harmon Kardon AVR 1565. I'd been using optical video inputs, but it has three HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. I use Yamaha outdoor speakers at the four corners, with a TIC GS-3 for center, and a Polk Audio PSW10 subwoofer. I'm generally very pleased with the audio, so I'd just as soon leave all that as is, although the center channel does tend to distort sooner than the rest of the system. My Dazian 12x20 fabric screen recently gave up the ghost, too, so I've been limping along with a white plastic tarp. I leave everything set up all year, except for the dead of winter, with the gear under a canopy. Having equipment that can tolerate less than ideal conditions is a plus, as about all I do is keep the rain off it.

My biggest problem is ambient light. Neighbors are close and leave their porch lights on. A major shipyard is near, and there's always some stray light coming from that. The InFocus was rated at 2400 lumens, which means that I really need it to be pretty dark to see much, but then I start feeling guilty when I run past 10PM (I find it very difficult to turn the sound down!).

I like Epson products and find their refurbed items, in general, to be solid deals. I visited their site today and was intrigued by the PowerLite Home Cinema 1440, which is rated at 4400 lumens. It's $1200, which is a good $400 more than I'd like to pay, but I'm willing to stretch a bit, since I don't change equipment often. I did not find a review of this unit at Projector Central, so I'm looking for input here, as well as alternatives. Although I typically have a 20-foot-wide screen, I think I really only use about 16 x 12. The distance from the current projector to the screen is about 30 feet, but that can easily be changed.

It might be fun to have 3D capability, which this Epson lacks, but then again, our TV is 3D and I've probably shown all of two 3D features on it in the two or three years we've owned it.

Thanks for putting up with my longwindedness. It's the curse of the retired, I fear.

John
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 11:24:04 pm »

John, I have been known to rattle on myself at times so no problem there.  I can't comment on the PJ your looking at getting because I don't own one myself, but if you haven't already you can learn a lot about it using the projector central calculator. 

But I do have some thoughts on your ambient light issue.  One thought can you move the screen in your yard to optimize the darker places?  As for the neighbors porch lights, and this is going to depend on your relationship with them, but if the light is really spilling into your yard you might be able to convince them to put a shield on the light to reduce the amount it spills into your yard. 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
bugbitten

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 04:34:55 pm »

I've got the screen hanging between two trees, with quite a bit of foliage overhead. That helps some. I think it's probably as well-sited as I can do. The primary porch light offender is on good terms. I probably just need to invite them over more often, but their cinematic preferences tend to cramp my style! I'd probably be happy with anything 720P or better with a light output similar to the ol' InFocus. But that 4400 lumens is sure tempting!

John
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 12:42:00 am »

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner.  If you don't need all the latest and greatest consider getting a used projector.  Two of the three projectors at the Sit & vue were bought used in 2014.  They are a pair of Canon Realis X700 projectors.  LCOS liquid crystal on silicone, 4,000 lumen with a built in zoom that allows a pretty long throw one is at 24 feet the other is maxed out at 34 feet, and yes you can tell there is a difference in brightness do to the throw.  They sold new for almost $4,000.  We bought the pair for $150, and that was a heck of deal, but they sure put the old epson to shame.  Of course no HDMI, but then I don't have any of that.  It's a thought.  E-bay or CL, might get you a 4,000 lumen PJ for much less if you don;t mind used.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: