Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 03:36:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
109 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 03:36:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Popcorn in my theatre is.....  (Read 8530 times)
SR

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2016, 11:48:19 pm »

I thought about setting up poll, because I can't remember the last time we had one.  As I was working on it I realized that there were far to many different options, and possible setups to create a poll.  So instead I'm asking a question, what do you do for popcorn in your theatre?   Primarily I'd like to know the following:

1.  Do you use a theatre type popcorn machine or something else?
2.  Do you pop your corn in front of your guests or before they arrive?
3.  Do you buy your corn pre-popped in a bag?
4.  What do you do for butter and salt?

Anything else you would like to volunteer about your popcorn or concessions would be great to hear about. 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 12:16:03 am »

I thought about setting up poll, because I can't remember the last time we had one.  As I was working on it I realized that there were far to many different options, and possible setups to create a poll.  So instead I'm asking a question, what do you do for popcorn in your theatre?   Primarily I'd like to know the following:

1.  Do you use a theatre type popcorn machine or something else?
2.  Do you pop your corn in front of your guests or before they arrive?
3.  Do you buy your corn pre-popped in a bag?
4.  What do you do for butter and salt?

Anything else you would like to volunteer about your popcorn or concessions would be great to hear about. 

I asked so I figured I better go first.
Night-Sky:  He owns a small theatre style popcorn machine, he pops the corn fresh right in front of his guests.  he has a butter flavored oil in a squeeze bottle, that is really quite good.  The positive side is it allows folks to butter there popcorn as much or as little as they want, without the hassle of butter, the down side is it will make the popcorn a bit soggy if it's over done.  But really it's very good stuff. 

Sit & Vue:  So when we moved the theatre we decided to start providing some snacks for a suggested donation.  Guests can also bring in anything they want.   We have used these donations to improve and maintain the theater.   Last year we made enough in donations to replace a $350.00 PJ bulb and to put on a small unprofessional, i.e. me lighting off a few fireworks on the 4th for the guest enjoyment.  The reason I give this background information is establish that we started offering snacks as a way to raise money in order to make improvements and do other things with the theater we wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. 

We looked at buying a theatre style popcorn machine, but we weren't sure how popular it would be and found buying a machine not knowing if we could make the cost back a concern, so we buy pre-popped popcorn in bag and I built a warmer which is essentially a wood rack that holds the serving bags filled with popcorn and a warming light.  I know it sounds pretty crappy, but it's surprisingly good popcorn as long as it's not left under the warmer for to long.  This year we have added the same oil / butter that the Night-sky uses which just makes it a bit better. 

That's what we are doing how about you?

lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:19:56 am »

We use the popcorn machine in the picture.   We typically pop one batch like 5 minutes before people show up and then about 2-3 more as guests are there and as need depending on demand.   My wife and youngest son will usually be the ones eating that first batch when people show up to entice them into having some... lol.   We buy a ton of the little brown bags (like for school lunches) for my guests.  My wife has gotten into the flavor salt's and the flavored powdered butter shakers, less mess. 

We throw a lot of events at the house so we have a lot of "party" accessories to be flexible in what we can serve.   The popcorn machine has been used in the house during poker nights.  On one movie night, we went all out.  Had nachos, hot dogs (with all the condiments: Relish, onions, sauerkraut, mustard, ketchup, chili, etc...) and some bite size candies.   It was for when we had a large crowd coming for the showing of Independence Day.   We'll probably do that again, just depends on crowd size and event.

I do plan to incorporate the kegerator and other concession like stuff into an outdoor kitchen on my deck so my guests can just walk over and not miss any of the movie.

* popcorn.jpg (184.4 KB, 1439x809 - viewed 194 times.)

"Hey, hey, bing bing bing bing bang! POPCORN!"
Happykmpr

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 09:08:24 pm »

We have a commercial type popcorn machine with a 12oz kettle (great northern from Amazon). We purchase the proportioned popcorn from gold medal. It is a HUGE hit and we always get compliments on it.

Depending on when sunset is, we will either incorporate dinner in to the potluck concession stand (aka 2 6' folding tables) or keep it a potluck dessert concession table. Whichever the case, we ask the guests to bring something for the table and a 2 liter. We supply the plates, plastic utensils, napkins, cups and ice.

Our pre show entertainment has been trivia recently. There is normally a 10 minute break before the movie starts; this is when we start popping the popcorn. We don't have a warmer for bagged popcorn, so my wife scoops and bags the popcorn for each person.

I recently found some coated popcorn bags on Amazon. 1oz size I believe. I haven't had a chance to use them yet. But will be perfect for the butter-like topping I have.

I'm considering selling movie theater candy as a way to offset the cost of maintenance and upgrades. I haven't convinced myself that it'd be a success with the potluck concession table.  Undecided
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 12:07:06 pm »

We have a commercial type popcorn machine with a 12oz kettle (great northern from Amazon). We purchase the proportioned popcorn from gold medal. It is a HUGE hit and we always get compliments on it.

Depending on when sunset is, we will either incorporate dinner in to the potluck concession stand (aka 2 6' folding tables) or keep it a potluck dessert concession table. Whichever the case, we ask the guests to bring something for the table and a 2 liter. We supply the plates, plastic utensils, napkins, cups and ice.

Our pre show entertainment has been trivia recently. There is normally a 10 minute break before the movie starts; this is when we start popping the popcorn. We don't have a warmer for bagged popcorn, so my wife scoops and bags the popcorn for each person.

I recently found some coated popcorn bags on Amazon. 1oz size I believe. I haven't had a chance to use them yet. But will be perfect for the butter-like topping I have.

I'm considering selling movie theater candy as a way to offset the cost of maintenance and upgrades. I haven't convinced myself that it'd be a success with the potluck concession table.  Undecided
I've never personally owned a good popcorn popper but hearing you talk about the potluck table.  I miss that.  At the old Sit & Vue before we moved the theatre we did what we called the movie snack potluck table.   We supplied the plates, utensils, napkins, cups, ice just like you are.  It was a lot of fun and I really do miss it, but need the we need the money from the donations for snacks to keep the place up since we have three of just about everything now.  But Potluck snack table I love it!

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 07:10:38 pm »

I am going to keep my answer to just popcorn as that is the topic LOL

I have never had the money or time to buy a big popcorn popper for the theater. Besides that I could not eat popcorn for years......To keep this clean if I had popcorn it was in me for a month. After 30 years I had a health scare this year & out of the tests came much good. A) I was alright Grin & B) I can now eat popcorn again Shocked.

What I did buy for family & friends was the Whirley Pop that I have used from time to time. IMO it makes popcorn as good as the best machines but it is limited on volume. It is only good for small groups, When I do make corn I use the all in one packs or fresh corn & coconut oil. I have used fresh butter or the packaged butter salt on the corn. I have also made the store bought microwave popcorn at times.

Would I buy a machine if I had the time & money      YES

Is it the most important thing ....    NO

I also feel butter or fake butter should be on popcorn
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:13:55 pm by genesis76 » Logged
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 12:09:24 am »

Rich, I think I'm pretty much on board with your thoughts.  Especially after having spent sometime this summer at the Night-Sky.  I can definitely see the benefits and also the draw backs to having a popcorn machine.  I'd say the biggest draw back is setup and clean up, but the popcorn out of that machine when it's freshly popped is really the best.  On the other hand warming pre-popped at the Sit & Vue is very simple and requires less work.  The pre-pop stuff we have been getting is really quite good as long as the open bag is finished or tossed at the end of the night and it isn't left under the warmer to long.  Oddly enough we tried popping corn at the Night-Sky early in the day on Friday and bringing it over to the Sit & Vue but just a few hours in an unsealed bag and you can tell it's old, so we still buy it in a sealed bag. 

The lovely oil / butter we are using comes from a company called Harlin Fairbanks out of Kent, Wa.  The company dates back to 1955, and the stuff is really very good.  It's designed to be in pump but we put it is squeeze bottles like the kind of thing that ketchup comes in.  The only problem with it is to much can make the popcorn a little soggy, so you have to be a little careful with it.  But heck I figure if it's good enough for the Night-Sky it's good enough for me, I mean the old man worked at drive ins for United Theatres for something like 40 years so he should know something about popcorn. 

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 07:38:22 am »

Rich, I think I'm pretty much on board with your thoughts.  Especially after having spent sometime this summer at the Night-Sky.  I can definitely see the benefits and also the draw backs to having a popcorn machine.  I'd say the biggest draw back is setup and clean up, but the popcorn out of that machine when it's freshly popped is really the best.  On the other hand warming pre-popped at the Sit & Vue is very simple and requires less work.  The pre-pop stuff we have been getting is really quite good as long as the open bag is finished or tossed at the end of the night and it isn't left under the warmer to long.  Oddly enough we tried popping corn at the Night-Sky early in the day on Friday and bringing it over to the Sit & Vue but just a few hours in an unsealed bag and you can tell it's old, so we still buy it in a sealed bag. 

The lovely oil / butter we are using comes from a company called Harlin Fairbanks out of Kent, Wa.  The company dates back to 1955, and the stuff is really very good.  It's designed to be in pump but we put it is squeeze bottles like the kind of thing that ketchup comes in.  The only problem with it is to much can make the popcorn a little soggy, so you have to be a little careful with it.  But heck I figure if it's good enough for the Night-Sky it's good enough for me, I mean the old man worked at drive ins for United Theatres for something like 40 years so he should know something about popcorn. 

I forget if you have or have not but you really should interview this man on video. He is part of our past. I took pictures & did a non-video interview this year of two authors from the NJ shark attacks. In fact I have a picture with one just after we came out of the water on the 100th. We were the only two to be there at that exact location & time. A few days later I met up with the other guy in the town of the last three attacks
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2016, 01:29:23 am »

I forget if you have or have not but you really should interview this man on video. He is part of our past. I took pictures & did a non-video interview this year of two authors from the NJ shark attacks. In fact I have a picture with one just after we came out of the water on the 100th. We were the only two to be there at that exact location & time. A few days later I met up with the other guy in the town of the last three attacks

I have not, although there are somethings in the works.  One thing we did do is the 4th of July party that we normally have at the Sit & Vue, we held at the Night-Sky and invited everyone over.  We really filled his backyard up good.  Part of the opening for that night, he was suppose to talk for about 10 or 15 minutes about his time at the drive ins.  He ended up talking for almost 1/2 an hour.  He was so thrilled to have all those folks show up in his yard to hear him talk and watch the fireworks on the screen (And encase you were wondering we projected the fireworks on the screen, setting them off on the screen does to much damage to the screen surface and the guests don't seem to like the firework shooting at them), and the movies, which traditionally at the Sit & Vue is 1776.  Someone was suppose to video tape him talking but he did not show. 

There is a gentleman from the local paper, it's one of those free ones that is distributed once every two weeks.  Anyhow this guy wants to interview Gary, that's the old guys name, about Drive ins, and BYT, and me about BYT. Two separate interviews, not sure if they area going to be in the same edition or not.  He is suppose to be setting dates for the interview this week. 

Also got a bit of bad news today, I was over at the Sit & Vue, and Jake informed me that his job is moving to South Carolina.  He doesn't have an exact date yet other than he will be starting over there sometime before the holidays.  He doesn't know how long he'll be needed in SC, but at some point he will be coming back, just don't know if it will be a few months or a year or two before he moves back.  He says they are not going to sell the house but may rent it out depending on how long he will be there.  Just another one of those things we got to wait and see how it unfolds I guess.  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 01:39:49 am by SR » Logged

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2016, 09:06:09 am »

Sorry about your friend I hope he does well with the move. This guy you are helping must really appreciate you.
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2016, 03:00:17 am »

Sorry about your friend I hope he does well with the move. This guy you are helping must really appreciate you.

Well, the move is good for Jake both for the extra money and his position, but since the Sit & Vue is in his backyard here that could be interesting, if he is gone long term.  If he rents the house out I doubt I'd be able to use the backyard for moves.  And if I am, and he is not here, and Gary still wants to do movies, I'll have an issue there to although I've got two volunteers that have been very helpful picking up the slack here and there where needed this year, so maybe it would be ok. 

I think it's save to say that me and Gary have become good friends this year.  Even if this year is his last year doing the BYT thing I think we'll always stay in touch. 

Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2016, 02:10:29 pm »

I have not, although there are somethings in the works.  One thing we did do is the 4th of July party that we normally have at the Sit & Vue, we held at the Night-Sky and invited everyone over.  We really filled his backyard up good.  Part of the opening for that night, he was suppose to talk for about 10 or 15 minutes about his time at the drive ins.  He ended up talking for almost 1/2 an hour.  He was so thrilled to have all those folks show up in his yard to hear him talk and watch the fireworks on the screen (And encase you were wondering we projected the fireworks on the screen, setting them off on the screen does to much damage to the screen surface and the guests don't seem to like the firework shooting at them), and the movies, which traditionally at the Sit & Vue is 1776.  Someone was suppose to video tape him talking but he did not show. 

There is a gentleman from the local paper, it's one of those free ones that is distributed once every two weeks.  Anyhow this guy wants to interview Gary, that's the old guys name, about Drive ins, and BYT, and me about BYT. Two separate interviews, not sure if they area going to be in the same edition or not.  He is suppose to be setting dates for the interview this week. 

Also got a bit of bad news today, I was over at the Sit & Vue, and Jake informed me that his job is moving to South Carolina.  He doesn't have an exact date yet other than he will be starting over there sometime before the holidays.  He doesn't know how long he'll be needed in SC, but at some point he will be coming back, just don't know if it will be a few months or a year or two before he moves back.  He says they are not going to sell the house but may rent it out depending on how long he will be there.  Just another one of those things we got to wait and see how it unfolds I guess.  

If they ever post this interview online, pleas share it.  I am sure we would all like to read it.

Please check out my blog at Backyard Movies thanks!
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 01:28:19 pm »

If they ever post this interview online, pleas share it.  I am sure we would all like to read it.

It's an old school free newspaper that is distributed to local stores twice a month, and it is largely volunteer run so they don't post their articles on line, but I will as him to send me the text of the interviews so I can post them on the forums for you guys to read.

Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 02:11:50 am »

BTW, have you guys ever used vinegar powder on your popcorn?  It let's you make a wicked salt and vinegar popcorn.

Please check out my blog at Backyard Movies thanks!
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2016, 01:04:55 am »

BTW, have you guys ever used vinegar powder on your popcorn?  It let's you make a wicked salt and vinegar popcorn.

No I have never tried that but I'm going to.  I love Salt and Vinegar chips I bet it's great on popcorn.  When I'm at home making it for myself I sometimes mix olive oil into the butter and put shredded cheese on it to.   Since I don't have vinegar powder on hand I wonder if I could mix it into the butter and spread it on that way.  Probably won't mix all that well.   Oh I'm going to be trying this very soon.  Thanks!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: