Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 11:09:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
91 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 11:09:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Popcorn in my theatre is.....  (Read 8548 times)
fastbilly1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2016, 04:12:56 pm »

Most of the time, I just use a Stir Crazy.  If we want to be fancy, we use coconut oil or use Col Seasons.

If I know we are going to have alot of folks over I will make a trashbag full on the grill before people come over.  I just use a toss away aluminum baking pan with a layer of kernels coated in oil, then cover it in aluminum foil.  It takes about five minutes per batch, you shake it like a jiffy pop, and only takes a couple batches to make enough for the night.  I have not figured out a way to do this with coconut oil, so I just use vegetable. 
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2016, 08:26:17 pm »

Most of the time, I just use a Stir Crazy.  If we want to be fancy, we use coconut oil or use Col Seasons.

If I know we are going to have alot of folks over I will make a trashbag full on the grill before people come over.  I just use a toss away aluminum baking pan with a layer of kernels coated in oil, then cover it in aluminum foil.  It takes about five minutes per batch, you shake it like a jiffy pop, and only takes a couple batches to make enough for the night.  I have not figured out a way to do this with coconut oil, so I just use vegetable. 

great idea FB  thanks
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2016, 10:48:40 pm »

I have never heard of popping corn on the grill but you can bet I'm going to try that tomorrow as soon as I get home from work.  We have always purchased pre-popped for the Sit & Vue because we don't want to invest in a popper.  But we have a grill there that we use for cooking pizzas on already.  So that would be a really great thing for us if we could move to popping corn on the grill. 

Fastbilly, Do you like to have your grill at a particular temp when you start? 
This really is an awesome idea for me at least.  Thanks 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 10:49:00 am »

What is the issue with coconut oil?  Is the grill too hot, not hot enough, etc.?  I am just curious as to what the oil itself would present a problem?  I really like this idea, we use a lot of coconut oil at home, but we have never done this.

Please check out my blog at Backyard Movies thanks!
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 11:05:59 am »

What is the issue with coconut oil?  Is the grill too hot, not hot enough, etc.?  I am just curious as to what the oil itself would present a problem?  I really like this idea, we use a lot of coconut oil at home, but we have never done this.

I was just going to ask this one Lol
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2016, 12:42:44 am »

We have a commercial type popcorn machine with a 12oz kettle (great northern from Amazon). We purchase the proportioned popcorn from gold medal. It is a HUGE hit and we always get compliments on it.

Depending on when sunset is, we will either incorporate dinner in to the potluck concession stand (aka 2 6' folding tables) or keep it a potluck dessert concession table. Whichever the case, we ask the guests to bring something for the table and a 2 liter. We supply the plates, plastic utensils, napkins, cups and ice.

Our pre show entertainment has been trivia recently. There is normally a 10 minute break before the movie starts; this is when we start popping the popcorn. We don't have a warmer for bagged popcorn, so my wife scoops and bags the popcorn for each person.

I recently found some coated popcorn bags on Amazon. 1oz size I believe. I haven't had a chance to use them yet. But will be perfect for the butter-like topping I have.

I'm considering selling movie theater candy as a way to offset the cost of maintenance and upgrades. I haven't convinced myself that it'd be a success with the potluck concession table.  Undecided
I don't feel like I gave you a proper answer to your question.  about selling candy.  This is what we sell and what it costs.
Prices at the snack bar:
Popcorn            $2.25 Small   -  $3.75 large
Cheese Pizza   $10.99
Peperoni Pizza $11.99
Combination     $12.99
Beverages : Cola, Diet cola, Root Beer and DP.  $2.00 a can.

Of course you can see it's all over priced, but it's a suggested donation.  We have someone, typically it's a volunteers, sit at the table.  The prices are on the table in front of the popcorn and the soda. Then there is the pizza sheet taped to the table.  The primary reason for someone monitoring the table is to keep bags of popcorn in the warmer and cook pizza when it is ordered.  Also to say hi and welcome folks in ect.  Then at the end of the table is a container that the guests put money into.  The prices are a suggested donation and guests are welcome to bring in any food / drink they want.  We just ask that if we have it you buy it from us to help support maintenance of the theatre.

Sure there are a few folks that bring there own popcorn in anyway and never "buy" ours.  But then there is also the guy that comes in almost every Saturday night and drops $10 in the can each time without taking anything, so it balances out.   

Personally I'd try it.  Make sure your guests know what your doing and why your doing it.  I think if it was me I'd ask folks not to bring whatever types of candy your going to sell and set up a special area on the table for the candy.  with a sign indicating the prices and that any money made off of the candy goes towards potluck supplies and other theater equipment maintenance and a jar for folks to put their money into.  The worst thing that will happen is it'll sell slowly.  I just don't see how it could go wrong really.

Also I would like to suggest you at least consider selling your popcorn or giving it away for a suggested donation.  It's your machine, it's all your equipment and supplies and I doubt that anyone is bringing in popcorn now, since your popping it fresh.  You wouldn't be competing with the potluck table that way.

Those are my thoughts anyway. 

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: