Backyard Theater Forum
December 17, 2017, 05:11:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
85 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 17, 2017, 05:11:10 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acoustically Transparent (AT) Screen For Outdoors?  (Read 3905 times)
darknite

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2016, 07:59:14 am »

Yeah, I know.... If your topic is a question 99.9857423% of the time the answer is "No"

But here goes anyway.  Does anyone use an AT screen for BYT?
It would be nice to have the center channel up higher on the BYT setup.
Of course to do that would block the screen, UNLESS it was behind an AT screen.
My concern is would an AT screen let too much light pass through making the image dimmer?

Many thanks
Darknite
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 10:42:23 am »

Yeah, I know.... If your topic is a question 99.9857423% of the time the answer is "No"

My concern is would an AT screen let too much light pass through making the image dimmer?

Many thanks
Darknite
Well I don't think that the answer to your question is no, I think it's I don't know.  I have never heard of anyone using an AT screen for BYT.  In fact I had to look up AT screen to find out what it is.  I think if you were to build a AT screen for your BYT that it would be something new to most if not all of us, and if you do decide to do it I hope you'll post your progress and thoughts as you go.  But I don't think your going to get a lot of feedback on the idea simply because I don't think any of us have experience with AT screen in the BYT

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
Corzak

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 05:34:37 pm »

Many thanks
Darknite
Well I don't think that the answer to your question is no, I think it's I don't know.  I have never heard of anyone using an AT screen for BYT.  In fact I had to look up AT screen to find out what it is.  I think if you were to build a AT screen for your BYT that it would be something new to most if not all of us, and if you do decide to do it I hope you'll post your progress and thoughts as you go.  But I don't think your going to get a lot of feedback on the idea simply because I don't think any of us have experience with AT screen in the BYT

Carl's sells it so it probably works. http://www.carlofet.com/sheerweave-projector-screen-material.html#.V7Y2tJgrJhE I have put my speakers behind my DIY screens made of painters tarp and one of BOC. both worked but dampened the sound a bit.
darknite

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 08:53:09 pm »

Carl's sells it so it probably works. http://www.carlofet.com/sheerweave-projector-screen-material.html#.V7Y2tJgrJhE I have put my speakers behind my DIY screens made of painters tarp and one of BOC. both worked but dampened the sound a bit.

Thanks for the link.  Carl's description says its best for indoor applications.  It decreases the sound by 4db, so at 'normal' volume, it would sound about half as loud behind the screen.  It comes in a max width of 98" so I'd need to use it with the 5.5'x10' screen, and not the 9'x16'

Since the season is ending, I'll have 4 months to think and scheme, a month to build play and test. If the project gets a go I'll take plenty of pics and document the process/progress. On the bright side, its supposed to be sturdy fabric, so sewing a border and setting grommets shouldn't be hard.
Happykmpr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 10:25:07 am »

I haven't given much thought to an AT screen. A couple things come to mind though... You could raise your screen up, then raise the center speaker to just below the screen, then it'd be more at ear level. Or if raising the screen isn't an option, position your speaker so that it aiming at the audience. place the speaker just below the screen, then tilt the front of the speaker up so it fires to ear level. Shouldn't require much lift.

I would *think* the AT screens would allow some light through.

Definitely will be watching this thread.
darknite

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 11:19:34 am »

Looking at the carl's Sheerweave specs, it says that the fabric is not suitable for sewing or grommets. :-(
Time to hit the DIY screen section at AVS.  They don't have a lot of BYT posts over there, but the DIY Screen section is pretty good. 

redcar54

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 04:48:59 pm »

Looking at the carl's Sheerweave specs, it says that the fabric is not suitable for sewing or grommets. :-(
Time to hit the DIY screen section at AVS.  They don't have a lot of BYT posts over there, but the DIY Screen section is pretty good. 

http://stretchyscreens.com/spandex-projection-screens
Look maybe at spandex, I'm sure you can find material cheaper and build your own.
Jim
darknite

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 11:41:01 pm »

http://stretchyscreens.com/spandex-projection-screens
Look maybe at spandex, I'm sure you can find material cheaper and build your own.
Jim

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.  One of my schools did a 10'x20' spandex rear projection screen for an end of the year production.
Lawson@yedi.com

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 09:55:32 am »

Many thanks
Darknite

There is a 16'x9', 220" screen on the market that is audio transparent. Look up outstandingscreens. There is a review in Sound & Vision magazine that is linked on their website. In part the review says:

The results were stunning. After I made some minor adjustments to the support ropes, the screen stayed taut and flat. And the image quality wasn’t just acceptable; it was spectacular. In fact, although nobody was interested in seeing me set up the screen, everyone came out of the house to watch the show—and that was just to look at the projector’s onscreen menus! Once I started playing Gravity, a movie meant for the big screen if ever there was one, they were hooked.
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/content/outstandingscreens-oss-drive-16-outdoor-projection-screen-review#JBjsyjRvejp5a3MR.99

The YouTube link also takes you to 3 videos, one showing how to set the screen up.

The screens can also be front or rear projected.

So, 100% of your sound will go through and the screen reflects the image.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: