Backyard Theater Forum
December 11, 2017, 09:47:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
87 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 09:47:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BYT has Drive-In roots  (Read 8236 times)
rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2005, 11:09:10 pm »

When I was a kid, every time we went 'to town' we drove by the Corral Drive-in.   The screen was huge and right up by the highway.  There was just something 'cool' about the whole deal, even before I saw my first movie there.  I remember the lines of cars waiting to get in.  Then as teenagers, we went to the Corral and also The Memri Drive-In.  And it was a blast.  We had two drive-ins within 10 miles.  Both are gone now.  I always loved drive-ins and I'm sure in some ways they influenced me to build the backyard theater.

Randy
« Last Edit: April 03, 2005, 10:30:32 am by rfisk » Logged

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

DigiMark

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 11:53:01 am »

I grew up with my family in Northern Virginia (Falls Church and Springfield) and our parents would take my brother, sister and I to the Lee Highway drive-in in Merrifield. I don't remember a lot about it, except that it was huge and either all-paved or all-graveled, with the ubiquitous speaker poles. I also remember tagging along when my cousin and his friends went to a Columbus, OH area drive-in -- they made my brother and I hide in the back to sneak in. It was fun but we were defintely fifth-wheels in the group.

I only recently rediscovered drive-ins in the past year, and like many newly-minted fanatics, I'm living andf breathing anything drive-in I can. We visited the Bengies outside Baltimore (about 40 minutes from my house in Bowie, MD) several times last year, and plan the same for this year -- perhaps as early as tomorrow night depending on weather.

(Since I am currently between jobs) I was thinking about getting into the drive-in business. When I was a teen through college, I worked at a Columbia, MD movie theater and in a number of video stores, so it seemed like a natural thing to consider. But after checking local DC conditions for a drive-in (poor to non-existant) and after getting the brush off from family, I gave up the idea.

I am currently planning a back-yard drive-in party for this summer. Our back yard is fenced in and is (by a rough guess) about 40x50 feet. I'm looking into screen and projector options, and that's how I found your website (through a google search.) The new screen you created looks fantastic. Do you have any more construction details? Even better, can you suggest someone who could build one similar for me? (I'm not very handy with tools, sad to say.) I also sent a message to the OpenAir people (who sell the BiggAir screens) asking about the price of their smallest screens, but even before their reply, I can imagine it will be expen$ive.

I have a photo backdrop stand (the kind used for supporting cloth and paper hanging backdrops for portrait photography) and I was thinking I could also try to use that, if it proves to be strong enough to support the weight of a white sheet. (It should.) But these other solutions would be more professional looking.

I was also wondering if you could offer advice about appropriate projectors for this use. I was looking at the InFocus X2. I have no idea how many lumens will be needed for a back-yard drive-in projector, for instance.

Congratulations on the new site and forums. -Gary

rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 10:06:55 am »

Hi Gary welcome to our forums!

Im not a projector expert but spec-wise, it looks like the X2 would work very well.  I use an old NEC MT600 and its only rated at 400 lumens.  It works fine but I would like to have just a little more light for certain movies produced/lighted darker than others.  Im shooting about 35 to a 14 screen.

I saw a page recently where the guy had actually incorporated his fence as the stand for the screen.  Ill see if I can find the link. The folks at Open Air are good people.  Tell them I sent you and maybe they can fix you up with an inflatable!

Ill try to post more about my screen design/assembly this week but this morning I got the word from my wife that were having a movie tonight so I need to get things out of storage.  Seventy-five degrees today and our first movie of the season!!

If you want to go the frame route on the screen, Id suggest contacting your local glazer who does industrial/commercial buildings.  I have a friend who works at one and he helped me out a lot.  They had some special ordered extruded aluminum frame material left over from a big mall job they had done that was exactly what I was looking for.  Since it was different from their normal stock, (and had probably been paid for once already) he was able to give me a real good deal on it.  Then, they did the miter cuts, braced it, assembled the thing and delivered it to my yard.  Worked out great.  Cost was a couple hundred bucks.  Remember, were 5 years into this now (with no end in sight) so if youre just experimenting, you can get by a lot cheaper than that and still have a blast.

Thanks for taking the time to post in our forum!  Keep us posted on your project.

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

Pass_The_Off

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 06:26:28 am »

Howdy

The "Big D" drive-in  on Harry Hines Blvd in Dallas is where I attended my first drive in movie. (Mom and Dad sold coke bottles to raise the cash for the $1.00 a car load)

In my teens,  I hung out at the Asto Drive-In (3 screens) .

Some moments there:
The opening for Patton blew me away.
Sitting outside the Drive-In watching Woodstock  (We were broke at the time)
Seeing a horror film that almost made me sick.

Now Dallas has no drive-in's  : (

After high school I was in Waco where I got to enjoy a lot of Gordzillia  B-movies at the Circle Drive-In.

* astrotx.jpg (2.61 KB, 174x110 - viewed 929 times.)

* tx3_s.jpg (8.38 KB, 370x290 - viewed 891 times.)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 07:35:43 pm by Pass_The_Off » Logged
Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2005, 05:09:54 pm »

I've been collecting DVDs (or, if not available, VHS tapes) of movies I remember having seen at the drive-in as a kid. I'm sure seeing these in the backyard doesn't have the same resonance for anyone else besides me, but it's a hoot to recreate some of that feeling.

We've watched "Dr. Strangelove" already. I have "The Mouse That Roared", "Pillow Talk" and "Bye Bye Birdie" on my list to buy. I have "Viva Max" on VHS (never released on DVD, apparently). Part of the nostalgia, for me, is thinking about the movies I can remember having seen at the drive-in -- trying to dredge up memories of being in the car in my pajamas, watching the movie, listening to the crunch of tires on the gravel, smelling the night air.

And you know, there's nothing that will blow your mind like seeing that big, bright, psychedelic "Looney Tunes" opening title on a really big screen.

We live in a golden age of film entertainment right now, with the ability to create one of those experiences right in our own backyards.

One of the drive-ins we went to in my youth, courtesy of www.drive-ins.com.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 05:14:50 pm by BusyHands » Logged

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2005, 10:27:11 pm »

We actually have a NEW drive-in opening in our area.  It's in Galva, Illinois and is called the Galva Autovue.  It has two screens.  Can't wait to go!  If you're in the area checkout his website.
http://galvaautovue.com/

Randy
« Last Edit: July 17, 2005, 10:29:08 pm by rfisk » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: