Backyard Theater Forum
December 14, 2017, 09:56:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
100 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 14, 2017, 09:56:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High Winds & plywood screens  (Read 2357 times)
SR

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2016, 11:14:57 pm »

Well here in the PNW, we have very stormy rest of the week and weekend ahead of us.  We received about 1" of rain today, it's still falling and they are talking 3" by the end of the weekend.  Tonight we have a high wind warning, winds are suppose to pickup here in the next few hours with gusts to 50 mph.  Friday is suppose to be calm but rainy, and then another round of wind on Saturday night this time they are saying wind gusts to 70 mph.  Now I know this probably nothing compared to those that live in hurricane prone areas, but it is heavily wooded everywhere with tall firs, maples and alder.  Combine the high winds and soaked ground it's a recipe for trees to topple.  Today I filled all my gas cans, and tuned up both the generators.  I should have enough fuel on hand to run both generators for 2 days continuously.  Since they won't get run continuously I've probably got 3 days worth of gas, after that I'll start taking it out of the cars if needed.  Hopefully the forecast will be wrong and the storms will be less than expected, but it's always better to be prepared I figure.     

The reason I'm bringing this all up is because as I sit here in the house knowing that I'm well prepared for whatever happens my mind can't help but think about the screens.  The two BOC screens at the Sit & Vue are put away so there is no worry there.  The plywood screen is in good shape and well anchored so I'm sure it will be fine.  But at the Night-Sky his screen isn't in such good shape.  The plywood isn't the best anymore and the supports are even worse.  The ones that run straight up and down are fine, it's the ones that are at an angle off the back of his screen into the ground.  Those are in bad shape really.  It's been probably 3 years since we have had a really note worthy windstorm like this one, so I hope it makes it though!

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 02:23:17 am »

Well here in the PNW, we have very stormy rest of the week and weekend ahead of us.  We received about 1" of rain today, it's still falling and they are talking 3" by the end of the weekend.  Tonight we have a high wind warning, winds are suppose to pickup here in the next few hours with gusts to 50 mph.  Friday is suppose to be calm but rainy, and then another round of wind on Saturday night this time they are saying wind gusts to 70 mph.  Now I know this probably nothing compared to those that live in hurricane prone areas, but it is heavily wooded everywhere with tall firs, maples and alder.  Combine the high winds and soaked ground it's a recipe for trees to topple.  Today I filled all my gas cans, and tuned up both the generators.  I should have enough fuel on hand to run both generators for 2 days continuously.  Since they won't get run continuously I've probably got 3 days worth of gas, after that I'll start taking it out of the cars if needed.  Hopefully the forecast will be wrong and the storms will be less than expected, but it's always better to be prepared I figure.     

The reason I'm bringing this all up is because as I sit here in the house knowing that I'm well prepared for whatever happens my mind can't help but think about the screens.  The two BOC screens at the Sit & Vue are put away so there is no worry there.  The plywood screen is in good shape and well anchored so I'm sure it will be fine.  But at the Night-Sky his screen isn't in such good shape.  The plywood isn't the best anymore and the supports are even worse.  The ones that run straight up and down are fine, it's the ones that are at an angle off the back of his screen into the ground.  Those are in bad shape really.  It's been probably 3 years since we have had a really note worthy windstorm like this one, so I hope it makes it though!

SR, I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.  I hope the storms are much ado about nothing, so glad you made the effort to be prepared though.  Please let us know how things come out.

Please check out my blog at Backyard Movies thanks!
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 08:45:40 am »

Hang in there SR. I do the same for winter & wind storms in CT. I have made charts for gas use for storms based on the season. Winter is the tough one for us. I keep about 23 gallons of gas. In the summer that can last for days in the winter less time.

But prayers go out to you & your screens, They can always be put back up again.

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 01:24:53 pm »

Well it has been raining continuously, but the windstorm we were suppose to get last night didn't come.  So that's a good thing.  But we still have a major windstorm in the forecast for Saturday afternoon and evening.  I'll keep you all posted as best I can, but if I loose power and internet it might be a while.   Smiley

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 01:11:37 pm »

Ha, It was a bunch of hub bub.  We had several inches of rain but the winds just never came.  So all good here!

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 01:53:16 pm »

Ha, It was a bunch of hub bub.  We had several inches of rain but the winds just never came.  So all good here!

great news SR!
mrjohnson92688

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 10:15:05 pm »

Hi SR.

Check with your insurance agent about an umbrella policy. If your plywood flew into a neighbors house they would probably sue you. Just something to think about. Glad everything went well.

Carl
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 10:40:34 pm »

Hi SR.

Check with your insurance agent about an umbrella policy. If your plywood flew into a neighbors house they would probably sue you. Just something to think about. Glad everything went well.

Carl

I have worried about that sort of thing before.  Fortunately both the Sit & Vue and the Night-sky are in rural enough areas that there is pretty good spacing between houses and both have far to many trees around it for plywood to hit a neighbors house.  But I still worry about it damaging a roof or siding.  So far in the 11 years I've been around BYT and plywood screens they have all stayed put though windstorms.  It's the Night-Sky I worry about now, just because his screen isn't in the best of shape anymore. 

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 09:10:26 am »

Hi SR.

Carl

In a tornado in CT. many years ago a women's checkbook landed in a yard In MA over a 100 miles away.

So SR is that your screen in my backyard?
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 10:20:28 pm »

Hi SR.

Carl

In a tornado in CT. many years ago a women's checkbook landed in a yard In MA over a 100 miles away.

So SR is that your screen in my backyard?
LOL, That is a really good reminder that anything is possible where it comes to mother nature.  Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: