Backyard Theater Forum
December 18, 2017, 01:31:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
106 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 18, 2017, 01:31:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: In Focus and GFCI  (Read 5833 times)
mamadada

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2016, 05:03:15 pm »

So my DS  Halloween party was this past Saturday. We had to have the party at a neighbor's home because our home flooded in the Louisiana floods in August.  Sadly, my projector was flooded in the case. When I found it the corner of the projector was in the floodwater  The particular corner was the bulb and lens area. DH took it apart and cleaned it with lint free cloth and cleaner and turned it on and the picture was very vibrant and seemed like it was in perfect condition.  We decided to make a run through on Friday night and test the projector at the neighbor's house. Every time we turned the projector on it would trip the GFCI's We plugged it in numerous GFCI's outside and it tripped every area every time so we went to Best Buy to get a new projector and it was a new Epson projector and brought it to the neighbors house and it worked fine. Does anyone  have any idea of what is going on?  Two possibly relevant facts when we tested the old projector after cleaning it,  We were at an older home outside and we don't know if it was on a GFCI or not.  The neighbor's home is a new home less than two years old.  Would love to be able to use my old one as I have always wanted a backup.

If all he wanted was shadow puppets, you should have bought a flashlight.
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:19:08 pm »

So my DS  Halloween party was this past Saturday. We had to have the party at a neighbor's home because our home flooded in the Louisiana floods in August.  Sadly, my projector was flooded in the case. When I found it the corner of the projector was in the floodwater  The particular corner was the bulb and lens area. DH took it apart and cleaned it with lint free cloth and cleaner and turned it on and the picture was very vibrant and seemed like it was in perfect condition.  We decided to make a run through on Friday night and test the projector at the neighbor's house. Every time we turned the projector on it would trip the GFCI's We plugged it in numerous GFCI's outside and it tripped every area every time so we went to Best Buy to get a new projector and it was a new Epson projector and brought it to the neighbors house and it worked fine. Does anyone  have any idea of what is going on?  Two possibly relevant facts when we tested the old projector after cleaning it,  We were at an older home outside and we don't know if it was on a GFCI or not.  The neighbor's home is a new home less than two years old.  Would love to be able to use my old one as I have always wanted a backup.

I've got quite a bit of experience tripping GFCI's myself.  For anyone that doesn't know GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter.  This is simplified but Basically how it work is that the outlet monitors the power and if detects a leak or ground fault it trips.  GFCI's can save your life should you be outside standing in a puddle of water holding an extension cord.  It can also save your life in the bathroom.  However I have found that GFCI's can be incredibly frustrating too.  Short version something is wrong with the old projector.  I'm sure it was caused by the water.

I don't have any tips on fixing it, but if it was me I would plug it in a my house and watch a movie or two and then try it at the neighbors again.  If it's just a little corrosion that was caused by moisture left behind after the flooding and cleaning running it for a bit so it gets fully warmed up might just do the trick.  Beyond that if it was me I'd just use it at my house until it needs the bulb replaced and then throw it away.  I mean if you hadn't tried to use it at the neighbors you wouldn't even be aware there is an issue, so I don't see a problem with using it at your house, just know there is an issue and be aware of anything unusual. 

Hopefully someone will have a better idea then I do.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
mamadada

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 09:11:18 am »

I plan on doing what you said.  I am just a fix instead of replace kind of person.

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 01:27:53 pm »

I am just a fix instead of replace kind of person.

I'm the same way and some of my ancient equipment that is still in use shows it.  I just can't see replacing something if I'm already happy with what I've got.

Good luck with the PJ

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 09:06:07 am »

Yeah that stinks...How is the rest of the house?

I have always wanted backups & I do have them now for everything but the projector. I tried twice & was lied too about the hours once (Hardly used was over  850 hours) Dust came pouring out when I checked the filter (not just a little). The young lady was upset with me when I knew how to get the hours off the projector....get that.

I would worry about a fire but that is me lol. Even down the road the unit might burn IMO.

As far as the GFI they are loaded with problems but it is better than having your hair standing straight up.

I am cheap & still use or this year try to use my 2008 gear so I feel your pain.

So it is a tough call...new is nice if you have the money but I am very happy with what I have &&&& I want a boat someday.

[/Sorry for this Randy LOL but I think in forums like this & the others that I am in we tend to get caught in a feeding frenzy on each forum.color] If I am on the cooking forum it is so easy to get caught up in a person getting a new cooker. But in life we have needs & wants. The needs come first......Ok throw your stones at me folks. I think on one cooking forum a guy had a barn with over a 100 grills, smokers, etc etc.

Ok off my soap box in your case there is nothing wrong with new & maybe the old projector as an (outside) backup.
mamadada

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 11:52:20 am »

2 feet of water in the house.  But we are currently restoring and hope to be in for Christmas.  I thought the PJ felt hot while we were running it. DH said it is usually like that.  Any idea if there is something that I could repair to correct the problem?

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 12:14:21 pm »

2 feet of water in the house.  But we are currently restoring and hope to be in for Christmas.  I thought the PJ felt hot while we were running it. DH said it is usually like that.  Any idea if there is something that I could repair to correct the problem?

lets hope Sparge jumps in here he would be the best to answer this one
mamadada

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 06:40:27 pm »

I haven't been on this site in a while.  Where is everyone?

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 06:54:12 pm »

we are on a Sabbatical
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2016, 10:28:05 pm »

we are on a Sabbatical

I need one of those.  Actually you have really good points about the fire potential.  Perhaps given the cost of a replacement projector, maybe it would be worth while to have a professional check it out and diagnose the problem.  As far as where is everybody people drift you know.  Some of us have been on here for years and only stop by now and then, others of us are on regularly.  Yes the site has slowed down in the past few years, but it's also getting into the off season for BYT for a lot of us.  Whatever you do with the PJ good luck, be safe and let us know what happens.

mamadada

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 06:36:30 pm »

When we move back into the house it may be a good weekend afternoon project for DH.  Chime in if you get a lightbulb!🤔. Thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: