Backyard Theater Forum
December 11, 2017, 09:54:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
84 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 09:54:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PVC pipe screen frame  (Read 5364 times)
SR

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2016, 10:56:22 pm »

Ok, so here's the question from me.  The Sit & Vue has three screens.  We moved the old plywood screen from the old location and bought 2 used 16 X 9 BOC screens without frames for the other 2 screens.  What we did for frames at the time was to build a wood structure to hang the BOC from.  We sunk 4X4's into the ground so the frames are permanent we just remove the BOC in the winter time.  The reason we went with wood was because I've built a lot with it, we were running out of time and I got a bunch of used 2X4's and 4X4's from craigslist for free.  Unfortunately, and this happens sometimes with used wood, the 4X4's we used on screen #2 in just a few years have become quite a bit rotten so we intend to either replace the supports or build a new frame. 

I like the idea of using PVC for a frame, and we wanted to do that in the first place but time and money were an issue.  Of course I've hit up a few of the older threads here, but what I'd really like is to hear from some folks that have built PVC there own PVC frames and are still using them.  I'd be curious to know about what you spent to build the frame, what kind of PVC you used (water or conduit) the size of the pipe, how many supports you have running side to side and up and down, what you do to keep the thing up right and last would you do anything different if you built it again. 

Probably won't start building until after the new year as Jake is out of town on business for a few months but I'm still talking to him and we'd like to have our plans set for when the time comes.
Thanks,
SR

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
darknite

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 11:31:14 pm »

With 16x9 tensioned screens on PVC, you'll need some horizontal and vertical bracing to keep the frame from collapsing or bowing towards the center.

PVC is less expensive, but have you considered EMT conduit?
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 07:33:00 pm »

With 16x9 tensioned screens on PVC, you'll need some horizontal and vertical bracing to keep the frame from collapsing or bowing towards the center.

PVC is less expensive, but have you considered EMT conduit?

Yea, I know I'll need horizontal and vertical bracing, hoping someone will chime in with what they did and if it was enough. 

That's another bit of my questions, PVC or Conduit, I'm fine with using either but would like to know what others have done and how well it worked.

I've never built a screen frame like this though I have read about it and know the basics so hoping to get some real world advise from some folks.  Thanks

darknite

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:46:22 pm »

I built an EMT frame following the pattern/directions at Carl's Place,
http://www.carlofet.com/files/9x16-freestanding-kit-instructions.pdf

I purchased the assembly fittings kit from Carl's, and the EMT from Home Depot

I followed the instructions from Underdog and FrostyFreeze here to make a billboard vinyl screen.
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 12:03:48 am »

I followed the instructions from Underdog and FrostyFreeze here to make a billboard vinyl screen.

Sounds good.  I've read the Carl's Place directions before.  So let me ask you this.

If you were to build it again would you do anything different from the directions?

Do you think it was worth while to buy the kit from Carl's as opposed to sourcing the fittings on your own?

Cost wise, any idea what you think spent on the frame?

Thanks again!

mykal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 12:20:40 am »

My first frame was PVC.  2" Schedule 40.  About $9 per 10' piece plus the joints.
I attached a very precise diagram of the design.   Grin

I used blackout cloth and bungees on it.  The PVC did flex but it was minimal.  I designed the blackout cloth with 3" of space between it and the frame.  The bungees were 6" I believe.

I leaned it against my house and used a 1" come along on each side to keep it there.  Never any problems.

I upgraded to an inflatable Gemmy.  Putting the PVC together and taking it apart after every movie became a hassle otherwise it was fine.

* 12112189_739724769493127_2014571017422021005_n.jpg (9.34 KB, 188x174 - viewed 484 times.)

* pvc.jpg (48.07 KB, 1032x574 - viewed 177 times.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 12:26:29 am by mykal » Logged

Projector: BenQ W1070 - 9'X16' Black out cloth screen - 4,000 watt stereo
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 12:47:17 am »

My first frame was PVC.  2" Schedule 40.  About $9 per 10' piece plus the joints.
I attached a very precise diagram of the design.   Grin

I used blackout cloth and bungees on it.  The PVC did flex but it was minimal.  I designed the blackout cloth with 3" of space between it and the frame.  The bungees were 6" I believe.

I leaned it against my house and used a 1" come along on each side to keep it there.  Never any problems.

I upgraded to an inflatable Gemmy.  Putting the PVC together and taking it apart after every movie became a hassle otherwise it was fine.

Looks like exactly like what I had in mind.  Good to know the lower cost PVC will work.  Likely we will come up with something to anchor it into the ground as we'll put it up in the spring and leave it for the summer.

Thanks for all the info and the diagram!

darknite

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 11:25:23 am »

Sounds good.  I've read the Carl's Place directions before.  So let me ask you this.

If you were to build it again would you do anything different from the directions?

Do you think it was worth while to buy the kit from Carl's as opposed to sourcing the fittings on your own?

Thanks again!

The connectors were $136 from Carl's, Home Despot has 10' EMT at $7, x11 = $77 so $213 for the frame. I like the frame as it is, BUT, if I were to do anything different it would be weld some "D" rings to the upper corners for easy guy line attachment.

Paramount tent/tarps has the connectors/fittings, but IIRC their pricing wasn't that much different.
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 01:18:49 pm »

Thanks again!

The connectors were $136 from Carl's, Home Despot has 10' EMT at $7, x11 = $77 so $213 for the frame. I like the frame as it is, BUT, if I were to do anything different it would be weld some "D" rings to the upper corners for easy guy line attachment.

Paramount tent/tarps has the connectors/fittings, but IIRC their pricing wasn't that much different.
Thank you all the information provided from both of you has been exactly what I hoped for.  I'm not really sure what we will end up doing in the end, but it may start out with seeing what we can get from craigslist for free or cheap to start out with and then go from there. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: