Backyard Theater Forum
December 11, 2017, 09:45:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
87 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 09:45:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rambling about BYT mostly  (Read 4310 times)
SR

View Profile WWW
« on: November 16, 2016, 06:16:40 pm »

I have nothing really special to say in this post and I'm not even sure where it's going to go.  Right now as I write this I'm sitting at my desk at work.  It's another very slow day where I'm not going to make much money at all.  I was thinking about the old days, the drive ins that I use to frequent that are now long gone.  And the BYT.  No new activity in the last few days on the forum so I thought I would start some.  

I was just thinking about how long I've been doing the BYT thing and all the changes.  Next year will be the Sit & Vue's and my 11th season doing BYT.  I miss having it in my backyard, I miss looking out my kitchen window and seeing the plywood screen in the backyard.  I don't much care for the new view which is of a metal pole building.  But I'm glad to see the Sit & Vue's new life and what it was and what has become.  Three screens of fun, at one time I thought it was ending, but in reality it was just changing.  Jake has done a really good job making the our BYT be the best it can be and I'm glad it's position is secure and will be around for years to come.  I'm also glad that I no longer have to be there every Friday and Saturday night all summer long.  Don't get me wrong I love the BYT but after 10 years you want to get out once in a while on a Saturday night.  Plus the flexibility allowed me to help out at the Night-Sky last year.  

This winter.  Though Jake has been out of town and will only be back sporadically until after the first or the year we do have some winter repair and maintenance things we are planning at the Sit & Vue.  As I mentioned in another post we are going to be building either a PVC, or plastic conduit frame for one of the BOC screens to replace the wood frame.  We are going to be replacing the steps on to the detached-deck (AKA projection booth) and a few of the deck boards too, and of course re-painting to.  I managed to snag a full gallon of porch / deck paint that is a dark grey color off of craigslist for free, so that should be a nice long lasting job.  One of the two newer Canon Realis PJ's is at the end of it's bulb life so we either need to replace the bulb which is a $400 investment and that will pretty much use up our maintenance budget for the theater for the year.  

Last thing before the spring opening will be pressure washing the plywood screen.  It's going to need to be painted this year, but in this part of the county you really can't do to much painting outside until July or August (because of rain), so when we need to paint the plywood screen it really has to be done mid-summer.  

Ok I best go back to pretending I have something to do at work today.

Thanks for reading I hope those of you in the off season are planning and those few that get to do movies this time of year are having a good time.  

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 09:07:25 pm »

Wow you really sound down. Better days are coming....I hope. I can't speak for everyone but you really put everything into this hobby for many people in your area as well as help keep this site going. It really is a big part of your life.

I think you need a break & getting out once in a while is good for all of us.

I miss not having the time to do any BYT at all the last two years. I miss when this place was so active. I really enjoyed Sparge, Dennis, OA, The Movielover, Movieman, Randy & my CT friends Ron & Gill along with so many others.

We would talk/post about popcorn machines, new projectors, screens etc etc etc.......Always new stuff.....not anymore...when is the last time we compared popcorn machines.

I feel at times we are in a ghost town here.

My kids all of a sudden are grown up.... no longer is air bud a great movie to show....This is sad.

For a few year here in Ct we (Ron, Gil & I) would meet for lunch...not in the last few years.

But I say this I will be back. If my equipment still works I will be back next year.

Even if it is just me & a Genesis concert Grin Grin Grin

Anyway I feel your pain SR

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:12:35 pm by genesis76 » Logged
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 02:10:26 am »

Well I'm not going to lie, it is challenging times for me one of the biggest is financial.  It can be a real struggle mentally for me to sit at work with nothing to do all day, and knowing your not making any money for the day, but like I said earlier in another thread I'm lucky just to have job.  BYT is always sort of a silver lining for me in my life most of the time, though there have been challenges there to of course.  So writing that out and focusing on what I'm going to do in the theater is a lot more fun than tapping my toe and worrying about the small pay check I'm going to get at the end of the month, and how that is going to affect the holidays... 

I'm in a really good place right at the moment I got a phone call just as I was leaving work and spent 3 hours in a local pizza joint laughing it up with friends.  The pizza wasn't great, and has left me with heart burn, but that's par for the course with this place.  No I wasn't there for good food I was there for cheap food and to have good time with good friends.  three hours of laughing it up was the medicine I needed tonight for sure!

lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 03:31:15 pm »

I love this site and while I don't post often, I do try to get on and read how others are improving and doing it their way.  I'm biding my time to get a new PJ and other equipment in a more permanent setting.  Tear down and setup is the worst part. If I could just walk outside and flip a switch it'd be my regular hangout (even in the cold, that's what a blanket and propane heaters are for right).   I am working on a project right now to where I'm using the Amazon Fire TV and Plex to stream movies and TV shows (like MASH, Cheers, Friends, etc) to all TVs in the house.  This will come in handy when I have a permanent solution for the BYT.   I just held my last showing for the season on 9 Dec... Did a triple header: Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation and Bad'er Santa.   

Hadn't posted for a bit and thought this would be a good one to say Hi and what's going on.

"Hey, hey, bing bing bing bing bang! POPCORN!"
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 07:45:41 pm »

I love this site and while I don't post often, I do try to get on and read how others are improving and doing it their way.  I'm biding my time to get a new PJ and other equipment in a more permanent setting.  Tear down and setup is the worst part. If I could just walk outside and flip a switch it'd be my regular hangout (even in the cold, that's what a blanket and propane heaters are for right).   I am working on a project right now to where I'm using the Amazon Fire TV and Plex to stream movies and TV shows (like MASH, Cheers, Friends, etc) to all TVs in the house.  This will come in handy when I have a permanent solution for the BYT.   I just held my last showing for the season on 9 Dec... Did a triple header: Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation and Bad'er Santa.   

Hadn't posted for a bit and thought this would be a good one to say Hi and what's going on.

I've always had a permanent screen, but I use to have to put up the PJ & sound stuff each night, worry about rain and tear down after the movies.  That was always the worst tearing down after the last movie in a dark and possibly trying to keep things dry with it raining.  Since we moved the Sit & Vue everything is permanent, PJs & Transmitter only getting broken down for the winter.  Yes, it definitely is easier although we brought some limited food service into the mix so there is that too now.   

It's good to hear from you and wow it would be nice if we could run that late into the winter.  Our typical season is mid-April though most of September.  When are you able to get started typically?

Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 06:41:03 pm »

We are pretty lucky in Hawaii.  I haven't done a showing in some time, we have been very busy, but I am thinking about showing the next UFC fight.  We just found out that we will be moving to Spokane, WA, so my season for outdoor movies is about to get a lot shorter....

Please check out my blog at Backyard Movies thanks!
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 03:24:23 pm »

We are pretty lucky in Hawaii.  I haven't done a showing in some time, we have been very busy, but I am thinking about showing the next UFC fight.  We just found out that we will be moving to Spokane, WA, so my season for outdoor movies is about to get a lot shorter....
Oh, Spokane you'll be on the other side of the mountains from me.  It is a bit drier in Spokane than on the west side of the mountains but definitely going to shorten your season.  However I will say that Spokane is a fine town, there's plenty to do around there and the Coleville national forest and mt Spokane are close by if your into outdoor stuff camping ect.

lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 02:05:29 pm »

It's good to hear from you and wow it would be nice if we could run that late into the winter.  Our typical season is mid-April though most of September.  When are you able to get started typically?

Usually, when the cold and rain stops...  April-ish, but I typically have to cancel scheduled showings until May... Virginia is really temperamental, but it's the effort that counts right... lol...

"Hey, hey, bing bing bing bing bang! POPCORN!"
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 01:59:00 am »

Usually, when the cold and rain stops...  April-ish, but I typically have to cancel scheduled showings until May... Virginia is really temperamental, but it's the effort that counts right... lol...
LOL...  Well maybe your season will still start about the same time of the year, but I'll bet you wrap up a bit earlier.  I'm looking forward to hearing from you after you first BYT night in Spokane!

Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 12:49:04 am »

Oh, Spokane you'll be on the other side of the mountains from me.  It is a bit drier in Spokane than on the west side of the mountains but definitely going to shorten your season.  However I will say that Spokane is a fine town, there's plenty to do around there and the Coleville national forest and mt Spokane are close by if your into outdoor stuff camping ect.

Too Cool! We are bummed to leave Hawaii, but are super excited that we will be going to another nice area.  We kind of missing camping, but we have our windows open year round here, so it is kinda like camping!  I am excited I will be able to bring our Stand Up Paddleboards, but I fell in the other day and I thought...the water in Spokane is going to feel a little different.

Please check out my blog at Backyard Movies thanks!
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2017, 10:44:45 pm »

Too Cool! We are bummed to leave Hawaii, but are super excited that we will be going to another nice area.  We kind of missing camping, but we have our windows open year round here, so it is kinda like camping!  I am excited I will be able to bring our Stand Up Paddleboards, but I fell in the other day and I thought...the water in Spokane is going to feel a little different.

Well your right, but in Spokane you'll get snow, which obviously has both good and bad things about it, but if your into skiing or think you might want to take it up they do ski from Mt Spokane which is just outside the city.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: