Backyard Theater Forum
December 11, 2017, 03:34:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
81 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 11, 2017, 03:34:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plex Media Server  (Read 2558 times)
lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:26:19 pm »

Didn't see it mention, but I've had great results using Plex.  I now have a DAS attached to my wife's computer and all our movies, old TV shows and music on it.  The player works on all different devices.  Until I am able to buy a new PJ and upgrade my whole BYT equipment, I will still be using my laptop as the source for the PJ.  I wil evenutally use an Amazon Fire Stick or Fire TV directly into the PJ.  For those that like to have music, show pre-views and then the movies, I've had great success with it's playlist racking and stacking it all.   

Just thought I mention it as another option for streaming video you may have on hand.  This will take me one step closer to a no setup BYT where I can go out on the deck and turn it on and go to town.

"Hey, hey, bing bing bing bing bang! POPCORN!"
Redsparow1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 01:59:16 am »

Thanks for mentioning it.  I also have Plex and have been pretty happy with it, the Fire and Roku both have apps for Plex, so that is nice that you can wirelessly access your library.  I don't have a way to copy content any higher than DVD quality, so I have not used my Plex server for backyard movies though.

Please check out my blog at Backyard Movies thanks!
lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 07:06:16 am »

The more I use it the more I love it.  It's going to help change the way I do my BYT and other things.  I have the app on my phone and love that I have access to all of my media on the go.  I canceled SirusXM in my car because between the 64GB USB stick and having access to my music on my phone with Plex I didn't need it; and the best thing is I don't have to hear some stupid DJ after every song.   

I have a 21.5TB storage at about 55% full.  It took me months do convert all of my CDs, VHS, DVD and Blueray's to digital but it was worth it for the convenience of it all.  I can even "DVR" TV and Movies from over the air and keep it (after a slight bit of editing commercials). 

I go overboard with it but even for someone with a small digital collection it can be helpful in a BYT environment.

Now it's just a waiting game to save up enough to buy the PJ with a 50ft throw and a new receiver/outdoor speakers and have a permanent setup... if I can just keep the wife from buying so damn many shoes... lol

"Hey, hey, bing bing bing bing bang! POPCORN!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: