Backyard Theater Forum
December 12, 2017, 03:08:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
104 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 03:08:59 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electric dual drum pulling winch  (Read 3984 times)
lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« on: March 29, 2017, 02:25:38 pm »

So my screen is hoisted between 2 trees via a pulley system with a single drum hand winch.  See my redneck special setup in the pic.  This has worked for the last 2 seasons.  What  I want to do (along with a few other upgrades I have planned) is to replace the single drum hand winch (because the cables get intertwined and causes problems) with a dual drum winch preferably an electric one.  My issue is I can't seem to find one that works for me.  I've found all kinds of stuff but nothing that really works.   Throwing this out here just in case someone has seen or can give me an idea of places to look or even a full on different way to do it.  Thanks for any help.

* 20150509_155853.jpg (446.98 KB, 1378x775 - viewed 115 times.)

"Hey, hey, bing bing bing bing bang! POPCORN!"
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 05:17:01 pm »

I cannot remember the last time I bought a winch, if you have Harbor Freight tools in your area I would look there first.   Could you modify your current winch to have two drums?

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 06:52:42 am »

I had a thought of buying a second one of the exact same model putting them side by side, then having one long bolt between them so that the crank would wind both drums.   I figured adding some sort of motor on it later wouldn't be too difficult.   And that was if all else failed at finding what I need before rednecking it anymore, lol.

I haven't heard of Harbor Freight but will look into them.  There are tons of marina stores around here but the powered winches are all for big boats and industrial. 

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 01:01:02 pm »

I had a thought of buying a second one of the exact same model putting them side by side, then having one long bolt between them so that the crank would wind both drums.   I figured adding some sort of motor on it later wouldn't be too difficult.   And that was if all else failed at finding what I need before rednecking it anymore, lol.

I haven't heard of Harbor Freight but will look into them.  There are tons of marina stores around here but the powered winches are all for big boats and industrial. 

The Marina store might be a better bet.  Harbor Freight is a discount tool store in the PNW, and I know they sell on their website too.  Frankly I'm a fan of the "rednecking" idea, just because it sounds cheap and unique.

lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 11:21:07 am »

I looked at Harbor Freights online store but didn't find anything that piqued my interest. I did see they had a store in the local area.  Still not coming up with what I have in my head and the last time I was in one of the Marina stores the stuff they had was very pricey...  So now I have to figure out where I bought the winch I'm using now and see if I can find a second one to go full on redneck and see what kind of contraption I come up with. 

I'll put pics up when I'm done, should be sometime this month (I hope).  All depends on the weather in VA and my schedule, the two never seem to sync up.

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 11:31:18 am »

I don't know if your still looking but I was in Lowes hardware the other day and noticed they had manual winches for about $30.00, no dual drums though, but they might be a source for something not to costly.  If you can find someone knowledgeable there maybe there are options they can order.  It's just a thought

lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 07:19:38 am »

I am still looking and I'll have to take a look and see if they can help.   It'll be a busy year for us (oldest graduating, overseas trip, stateside trips) so my priorities have been shifting it seems every hour.  Hopefully either this weekend or next I can go take a look and see what can be done.  I'm hoping start showing soon as the weather the last few days has been great here I feel the random monsoons will be starting here shortly; but as they say hope for the best, plan for the worst.

lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 11:02:45 pm »

So I wound up buying a second winch.  To be honest, it actually works better than having a winch with two line drums, plus I was able to remove a pulley set out that just enabled me to change the lines direction 90 deg.  I always had a leveling problem but now that I can winch both corners up separately, the screen is easier to level.   I may in the next season or two put a weather resistant motor driven one out there, but for now it's even better.   I'll try and remember to take a pic and post it.

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 12:20:45 am »

So I wound up buying a second winch.  To be honest, it actually works better than having a winch with two line drums, plus I was able to remove a pulley set out that just enabled me to change the lines direction 90 deg.  I always had a leveling problem but now that I can winch both corners up separately, the screen is easier to level.   I may in the next season or two put a weather resistant motor driven one out there, but for now it's even better.   I'll try and remember to take a pic and post it.

Sorry I haven't been keeping up like I should be.  I'm glad to see you found something that worked out for you.  Where did you end up buying it at?

lowcrawl

Lost Ark Theater

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 10:14:03 pm »

No worries, it's been a crazy year for my family...  I ordered it online at amazon (they have everything), it was the same make model just not painted like my other one...  I haven't had a chance to take a pic... where did the 1st half of the year go?

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 11:53:02 pm »

No worries, it's been a crazy year for my family...  I ordered it online at amazon (they have everything), it was the same make model just not painted like my other one...  I haven't had a chance to take a pic... where did the 1st half of the year go?
A little of topic but your right Amazon does have just about everything.  I've taken to ordering parts for my old craftsman lawn tractor from Amazon because the parts are 1/2 the cost of sears and get to me in just 3 days rather than 2 weeks like with sears.  Really I'm amazed at what they have.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: