Backyard Theater Forum
December 13, 2017, 05:47:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out the Backyard Theater Marketplace (linked from the left column in the forums)  Search eBay, craigslist, monitor Woot! and more!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
93 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 13, 2017, 05:47:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: --- === Come join the Facebook Group! === ---  (Read 2738 times)
kelemvor

View Profile
« on: July 17, 2017, 10:04:14 am »

Hi everyone,

These forums seems to be dead as no new people are getting approved.  So, someone started a Facebook Group that everyone is welcome to come join.

Head over to: http://www.facebook.com/groups/byt.backyard and join the discussions over there!

Thanks!

SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 08:29:32 pm »

Ok, so I understand the condition of this forum is not good.  And what I'm about to say you may not like, but I think it needs to be said.  I understand that no new members have been approved since 2016 and there were only 2 approved that year.  I understand that the person in charge just recently went 9 months without logging into the site.  It sucks.  It really sucks.  I hate the fact that no new members are coming in and that the forum admin won't let someone help him out, but it is what it is I can't fix that. 

However I also hate it when someone on the forums actively tries to drive people away from this forum.  I get that people are not being approved and you may have posted the facebook link for those people, however there is another thread where another member directs people who cannot get approved to this forum, to a BYT facebook group.  It has been around for sometime and he bumped the thread less than 30 minutes after you posted this thread.

Personally if I was an admin on this forum I would delete threads of this nature.  So I'm going to kindly ask can we please maybe just maybe limit the facebook group advertisement on this forum to just one thread?  Preferably the other thread as it specifically is directed at folks who cannot get approved as opposed to current members.  Is that to much to ask? 

Thank you,
From this Backyard Theater Forum User
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 08:35:26 pm by SR » Logged

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
kelemvor

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 09:06:54 pm »

Totally understand what you mean.

This website and forums are here to promote the backyard theater experience.  A big part of that is bringing in new people.  Right now, that isn't happening at all.  The people who have been here for a while can keep talking with the other people who have been here for a while, but can't help, guide, or answer questions for any new people since no one new can use this website.

If there was an admin around to delete threads like this, that admin could also approve new members, and then we wouldn't have threads like this in the first place....

I don't mean any disrespect to Randy or anyone else but these forums have gone very stagnant whereas Facebook is an ever growing community.  Old members, new members, and everyone in between are invited to the FB group.  It's not just for people who can't get in here, it's also for people who are already here but want to continue helping new people instead of just posting with the same people again and again.

The FB group isn't there to make this site go away.  There's too much history and great information in the archives for that to happen.  It's meant to complement the website as simply another way to interact with people who share the same hobby.

I hope to see some of you there sharing your years of wisdom with people who are just finding out about this topic and are looking for advice.

mykal

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 11:23:46 pm »

Just for a frame of reference.

Those of us on the Facebook group point people to posts on this forum that contain good information on setups. 
It is a bit harder now as photobucket put up their pay wall and a lot of the pictures on this forum are not functional now.

I could understand the point if this were an active forum.  It is not.  It goes for large periods of time with no new posts even.  The great thing about the internet is that there are so many outlets to share information.  I don't feel it's a competition rather a collaboration. 

Projector: BenQ W1070 - 9'X16' Black out cloth screen - 4,000 watt stereo
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:43:42 am »

Point taken from both of you.  I don't disagree with any of your points at all and since I am not on facebook I will take your word that folks are pointed to the forums as well.  And I appreciate you mentioning that.  Sometimes it appears as an outsider to the facebook group that threads of this nature have a different purpose than they really do. 

What it comes down to for me, and it appears for you as well, we are just disappointed that the creator and sole admin of this forum is letting it die, do to no longer approving new members.  I wish Randy would just let someone have enough power here to approve new members, but it has been made clear to me that he is not going to do that and since he is present here less and less I guess we are lucky that the forums continue to exist at all, and I am glad that folks can at least use them for a reference. 

And just for the record I do very much miss helping new people, and I miss posting something and getting 1/2 dozen or more new ideas. 

Thank you guys again for clarifying your intentions I will get off your back.   Smiley
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 12:47:07 am by SR » Logged

genesis76

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 05:29:52 pm »

Ok, so I understand the condition of this forum is not good.  And what I'm about to say you may not like, but I think it needs to be said.  I understand that no new members have been approved since 2016 and there were only 2 approved that year.  I understand that the person in charge just recently went 9 months without logging into the site.  It sucks.  It really sucks.  I hate the fact that no new members are coming in and that the forum admin won't let someone help him out, but it is what it is I can't fix that. 

However I also hate it when someone on the forums actively tries to drive people away from this forum.  I get that people are not being approved and you may have posted the facebook link for those people, however there is another thread where another member directs people who cannot get approved to this forum, to a BYT facebook group.  It has been around for sometime and he bumped the thread less than 30 minutes after you posted this thread.

Personally if I was an admin on this forum I would delete threads of this nature.  So I'm going to kindly ask can we please maybe just maybe limit the facebook group advertisement on this forum to just one thread?  Preferably the other thread as it specifically is directed at folks who cannot get approved as opposed to current members.  Is that to much to ask? 

Thank you,
From this Backyard Theater Forum User

X2 lets be fair we don't pay for this site someone else does.  We can help new members right now. as I sit here there are 135 guests on here now. By us all posting reviews etc we can help.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:34:25 pm by genesis76 » Logged
tronn4

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 04:41:12 pm »

Yo yo yo. The current active facebook group is the same one myself and a few other forums members started. We always meant to be an extra appendage to the forums. Just a way to keep the "ball rolling" for those who wanted to continue their discussions started here. We currently have about 450 members and by no means are the biggest back yard theater group but it feels like we have way more active members.

We've reached out to Randy on multiple occasions and have offered multiple solutions. Even just to be extra admins to help the forums continue. We're at a complete stop at the moment.

The lack of new users here only hurts the forums. No new ideas from new members can grow from here.

Until the forums open up, the facebook group can and has served as a lifeline for many users. Once the forums open up again we will gladly help usher in the facebook users here. Link in my sig

darknite

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 11:21:55 pm »

Someone mentioned the cost of keeping this site operational.  IF we could get new members and some new admins to help get things moving again, I would do a monthly paypal contribution/donation of $15-$20 to help cover costs. 

This place is great! When I was looking for ideas to build a screen, this forum gave me everything I needed, PLUS the courage and motivation to just go for it and put together the entire thing, sound system, video, and of course the screen.

Its sad to see the posting almost nonexistent, and awesome members like old algebra haven't been heard from in over a year. Her Crackerjack theater site has disappeared from the web. :-(
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 11:40:15 pm »

Someone mentioned the cost of keeping this site operational.  IF we could get new members and some new admins to help get things moving again, I would do a monthly paypal contribution/donation of $15-$20 to help cover costs. 

This place is great! When I was looking for ideas to build a screen, this forum gave me everything I needed, PLUS the courage and motivation to just go for it and put together the entire thing, sound system, video, and of course the screen.

Its sad to see the posting almost nonexistent, and awesome members like old algebra haven't been heard from in over a year. Her Crackerjack theater site has disappeared from the web. :-(

Sadly with any group that is what happens.  Older members sometimes more on to other things or life happens.  Without new members the forums slow down.  On another thread this year I gave numbers but there have been no new member approved here in a few years and we went something like 9 months without Randy even logging into the site.  As Tronn mentioned Randy has been offered free help.  I have personally offered as well to help him and he has turned us all down.  I don't really understand why, it would be lovely if he would at least let his current members know. 

As an outsider to the facebook group (I don't facebook as a matter of personal choice) I'm glad to have a better understanding of their purpose over there.  I remember when I joined the BYT forum which without looking I think was in 2012?  I could hardly keep up with all the new posts during the summer.  Now I'm even finding that I'll go a week or more without logging in just because nothing is happening.  It is saddening for sure. 

Sorry to hear about algebra as well.  She had a link on her website to one of my write ups on sound broadcasting, I thought that was a pretty special thing for her to do. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 11:42:03 pm by SR » Logged

11visions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 01:16:07 pm »

I offered a hefty sum to buy the BYT forums. *crickets*

Phillip Hullquist
I toured the U.S. showing outdoor movies in 2010 on Carl's 16x9 screen.
Now I own eight commercial rental screens ranging from 9x5 to 30x17!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: