Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
80 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 04:27:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 01:22:57 am]

[Yesterday at 10:41:06 pm]

[Yesterday at 06:22:10 pm]

[Yesterday at 06:14:11 pm]

[August 20, 2014, 12:58:37 pm]

[August 20, 2014, 12:00:41 pm]

[August 20, 2014, 12:30:56 am]

[August 19, 2014, 05:48:56 pm]

[August 19, 2014, 02:12:27 pm]

[August 19, 2014, 12:34:17 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tiki Theater  (Read 32366 times)
chears
Offline Posts: 56

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2007, 02:36:05 am »

First off I want to thank this site and everyone on it, couldn't have done this otherwise.  My main objective was to create this on the cheap and in a way that would not take long to set up or take down.  We throw a lot of parties and after a few beers I wanted something easy to dismantle from the elements,.

We live in a revitilised neighboorhood in the city and I have a small 25x25' postage stamp backyard that I had already turned into my own little Tiki Lounge, the theater seemed like a natural extension of fun for our parties.

I threw up a homedepot 12x15 painters tarp with a pulley system and bungees on the back of the house.  Its been near perfect, but I need to add more gromets and bungees and use tent steaks to pull it tighter into the ground.

For sound I am using the hometheater on the other side of the house in our family room.  I already had two outdoor speakers that become the front left and right with a push of the a/b button.  I added an outdoor polk audio speaker (20 bucks at a garage sale) on the ground infront of the screen for the center and two old shelf speakers we had lying around in the back for rear surround sound.  Its amazing how great dolby digital sounds in the backyard, some people have mentioned that without the walls to bounce off of, its more pure sound.  Must be true, it sounds amazing. 

Some friends and I just built the laptop, dvd and projector shelfs on the back of the fence.  I need to paint it still as its sort of an eye sore right now.  My main objective was to get something that would be above everyones heads so that when I threw a tiki party I could put up cool relaxation dvds of the ocean going in and out on the beach and people could still walk around. 

The projector is a $400 Sharp XR-11XC from frys.com that victor-eyd pointed me to (Thank you very much) and I run a $25 65' coaxial digital cable back into the house and home theater.

All in all its been amazing and takes no time to put up, I think my tiki set up takes longer.  We have watched a few movies and I can't wait to have the grand opening with all the neighbors.  I am not sure how many I am going to be able to fit back there, but all the neighbors are very excited, so I'm sure we will make it all work.  I even got a free popcorn machine from asking around at work, someone had one in storage they weren't using. 

Thanks again guys!

« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 09:23:37 am by chears » Logged
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2405

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 11:44:16 am »

Welcome aboard, chears!! 

Great looking setup.  You are definitely making the most of a small backyard.  Looks like a mini-paradise out there!

Congratulations on working a backyard theater into your plan and I hope you'll enjoy many evenings together.  Thanks for sharing your pics and info to help others.  Keep us posted!   Grin

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

victor-eyd
Offline Posts: 1038

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 12:14:08 pm »

Very nice! The bar looks very inviting.

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
Biotron2000
Offline Posts: 139

Bakersfield, CA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 02:53:44 pm »

Nice job! I'm into Tiki myself, and my backyard has been slowly becoming Tikified over the past 5 years or so. I got the biggest compliment from a 4-year-old boy a couple of months ago: "It looks like Disneyland here!" I still have a lot of work to do to get it to that point, but it's my goal to have it look Adventureland-ish with a touch of Pirates thrown in.
As for your fence shelves, just trim 'em in bamboo or reed fencing and they'll look fine.

Patrick

Patrick McNeal
Berkeley Street Cinema
Wii Console #7840-0866-0014-1508
patrick@jacpat.com
JJ
Offline Posts: 91

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 05:35:43 pm »

Nice quick set-up...now if I only had a cool drink. Roll Eyes
tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 09:00:41 am »

chears -

WELCOME!

I love that setup! Let  me guess...you're a Parrot Head too?

Do you serve umbrella drinks? In coconut shells? Looks great!

Tom
Mao
Offline Posts: 226

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 09:51:48 am »

Welcome!

Very creative! Proof that you can work miracles without alot of room.

Looks like you have neighbors surrounding you, too! We must do something about them, huh?   Grin

The hanging lights add a nice touch.

Backyard Theater - Featured Member" border="0
cafemom
Offline Posts: 372

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 09:58:42 pm »

Welcome and Cheers to Cheers (holding up Tiki shaped cup with appropriate tropical libation!)
Love the setup - great use of your space!
attached is a  little tiki man for you that I had in my files...  Grin
Have fun this summer!!!
Cafemom

* freaky-tiki.jpg (152.72 KB, 747x773 - viewed 2127 times.)

Grab a blanket, a chair & a friend and join us outside!

KMac
Offline Posts: 341

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 01:16:29 am »

Great job!!  I love the theme!  Great use of space!!  Enjoy! Cool
chears
Offline Posts: 56

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 06:05:04 am »

Thanks for all the kind words (and files  Wink )  To answer tlogan, I am not an official parrot head, but do of course enjoy Jimmy Buffet and is a regular on the tiki playlist.  Biotron, the bamboo idea is genius, I think I will try that.

The tiki theme came about by accident actually.  It all hapened one day when my wife was out with a friend and told me she had just bought their neighboors bar in a moving sale for $50... it was a rustic, very lodge-y, almost Flintstones looking thing and I was mortified.  I couldn't figure out what the hell I was going to do with it inside my house when finally my brother said, "why not make it a tiki bar?" and with lots of help from ebay its exploded from there.

For our grand opening of Star Wars I sent out an email invite to a few members of the local chapter of the Star Wars fanclub that I found online to come dressed up as Storm Troopers.  I thought the kids (HAHA, me of course) could have fun getting their picture taken with them before the show.  I offered them all the free snacks and drinks they could handle and my photography services.  I'll find out today if they took the bait, we'll see how this goes and I'l definitley keep you guys posted.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 06:07:26 am by chears » Logged

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: