Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 03:11:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 03:02:36 pm]

[Today at 10:55:40 am]

[Today at 10:22:26 am]

[Yesterday at 09:59:27 pm]

[Yesterday at 02:21:31 pm]

[December 17, 2014, 07:02:45 pm]

[December 16, 2014, 01:37:18 pm]

[December 10, 2014, 12:51:56 am]

[December 04, 2014, 11:06:40 pm]

[December 04, 2014, 02:44:34 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Allen Street Drive-in  (Read 22101 times)
glen65
Offline Posts: 66

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2007, 01:17:15 pm »

NOTE... AFTER READING THIS, LOOK FURTHER DOWN IN THIS THREAD TO SEE ADDITIONAL PICUTRES

Had my first viewing last night but first, let me give you some background info.

I’ve been researching the whole theater thing since I stumbled upon this site while looking for regular drive-in info. This site is addicting! It took no time at all to decide to build a backyard movie theater. I decided to put the screen up over the pool so we could watch movies on the deck. I wanted to make it so it was light enough to move around but also so I could easily put it together and take it apart.

I decided on a 9 foot by 16 foot screen built with 1.5 inch PVC pipes. Coming up with the plans for the frame was easy based on different designs I saw on this site. The next thing was what to do about the screen. Money was a factor, so I decided to try a white plastic tarp that had grommets on it. Building the screen was pretty easy using my table saw. My original plan was to drill holes in the connections and just slide a bold and nut on to keep it together and make it easy to remove. After putting it together and trying it with the tarp, it became apparent that the tarp stretching over and around the PVC was more than enough to keep them together. As I tightened the tarp, some of the grommets started to tear from the tarp. It was then that I decided that a $12 tarp wasn’t the way to go but it did prove that I could make it and it would be movable.

I started searching for blackout fabric based on info I found on this site. I found someone on ebay and got 18 yards for $1.50 per yard plus $18 shipping. That came last week. I was really impressed with quality of the fabric for that price. I cut the fabric into 3 equal strips that were 18 feet long each and my neighbor took it to his company to have it all stitched together. He came home from work yesterday and dropped it off. What a job they did! They stitched the three lengths together with a railroad seam, reinforced the edges with some additional fabric and then added grommets every 12 inches.

Needless to say, I couldn’t wait to see what it looked like, so I pulled out the PVC, followed my assembly plans and in under an hour, the 9 by 16 foot screen was standing. My first impression was “wow”. My immediate second thought was “Man this is huge”. Followed by “I can see by the look on my wife’s face that she isn’t thrilled about how big this thing is”.

Anyway, my neighbor and I propped it up next to the pool, played a little with the bungee cords in the back, and then secured it to the pool and deck. This wasn’t my ideal location but it really looked good. While we were waiting for it to get dark, I burned a ten minute drive-in countdown to a DVD-R and picked a movie to watch.

Once it got dark enough, my neighbor and I set up chairs, my wife made popcorn, and my family and my neighbor’s family watched A Night At The Museum using my Optoma's MovieTime DV10. Up until this point, I’ve only watched it on a screen in my basement that was half the size of this. I wasn’t sure how bright the picture would be. I was really impressed with how bright and crisp the picture was. After the movie ended, we cleaned up and had the screen disassembled in 10 minutes. All in all, everyone had a good time and it was a really good test run.

Here are a few low quality pictures I took when I first turned the projector on. Keep in mind that it was still a little light out and I didn’t use the flash. The pictures do not show the true picture quality that we were so impressed with. As time permits, I’ll take some more pictures of the frame, assembly process, and screen shots. As you’ll see in the pictures, there are some wrinkles in the screen that need to be tightened up the next time I put the screen together. As the movie was showing, I tried to look for the seams and I couldn’t find them. The wrinkles were visible if you really looked for them.

I’m hooked! Thanks to everyone for all of their posts. It really helped and gave me so many good suggestions.

* PIC_0036.JPG (329.91 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 3140 times.)

* PIC_0037.JPG (271.47 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 2974 times.)

* PIC_0038.JPG (306.04 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 3686 times.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 09:07:16 pm by glen65 » Logged
JJ
Offline Posts: 91

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 02:08:51 pm »

Yahoo!! Looks good. Welcome to the club! Shocked
Mao
Offline Posts: 226

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 02:29:21 pm »

Very nice!

Further proof that the DV10 rocks! I love it!

Thanks for the pix...enjoy your new adventure!

Backyard Theater - Featured Member" border="0
KMac
Offline Posts: 341

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 10:16:38 pm »

Congrats, Glen!  Nice setup.  I, too, have the DV10, so I know what you mean when you talk about a great,bright, high quality picture. I love that projector! Enjoy!!

KMac Cool
tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 11:26:37 am »

glen65 -

VERY impressive first outing! Another BOC convert!. What a GREAT price on the fabric. I'm always paying more like $7.00/yd (but no shipping). Glad the PVC worked out for you too.

Have fun.

Good luck,
Tom
glen65
Offline Posts: 66

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 12:15:41 pm »

Thanks everyone for the compliments and comments. I already have some improvements in mind and I want to get better pictures to add for everyone to see.

More to come...

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: