Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
57 Guests, 2 Users
Player, Garp
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 06:59:13 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:48:35 pm]

[Yesterday at 02:21:23 pm]

[Yesterday at 07:03:26 am]

[April 22, 2014, 06:46:54 pm]

[April 22, 2014, 05:05:43 pm]

[April 22, 2014, 08:53:33 am]

[April 21, 2014, 11:11:30 pm]

[April 21, 2014, 04:50:46 pm]

[April 21, 2014, 11:59:52 am]

[April 20, 2014, 05:50:34 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My first test run was a success!!!  (Read 43759 times)
Bedrock
Offline Posts: 29

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2007, 01:32:35 pm »

Hello theater lovers,  Smiley I'm new to the forum.  However I've been looking around as a guest for about 2 and a half weeks now.  I've been getting ideas from everyone in the forum.  However at the end of the day (tlogan6797) worked out the most for me.  So many thanks to tlogan6797  for such a great illustration of his screen and set up.  I started on my screen June the 11th. The material that I purchased are as listed:

1.  9 x 12 ft canvas tarp from lowes
2.  6 pvc poles (1 1/4)
3.  4 90degree fittings and 3 T tube fittings
4.  9 yards of black out cloth from local fabric store @ 2 dollars a yard 40% sell.
5.  Right now 1 6ft rebar stake.

I started cutting and sewing my blackout cloth to my canvas tarp on the 12th.  Finished sewing my the next day.  Had rain for the next 2 days which set me back.  So Saturday moring I made a layout with the pvc then cut to size, cut rebar in half.  By Saturday at noon I was finished, but then I got rain showers again.  I thought that I would have to cancel, but by 6 that evening the weather was perfect for a test run.  So we began to set which took about 10 minutes to do. My set included

Sony surround system
Optima projector HD70---1000 ansi lumens--4000:1 contrast ratio
Toshiba HD dvd player

By dusk I started the drive-in clips that I got from this website.  On the days that it rained I burned the classic drive-in clips and some hd trailers to a disc with my phillips dvd recorded from my laptop.  My test run was a great great success.  My wife and I was so excited with the results.  We watched "Ghost Rider" under the stars. Saturday we are having friends and a few neighbors over for a couple of movies and we will post more pictures of the set up front and back and maybe some pictures of the movie that we going to watch.  I was impressed on how clear the picture and sound was outside.  So Saturday we will host movies @ "The Bedrock Backyard Theater".  I can't wait for weekends now I'm addicted to this....  Thank's for the ideas and for this website.... Grin

* screen.jpg (60.67 KB, 640x480 - viewed 9068 times.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 12:05:18 pm by Bedrock » Logged

Bedrock Backyard Theaters
JJ
Offline Posts: 91

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 09:56:33 pm »

Welcome to the forum! I have the HD70 with the Toshiba DVD player also. Did you get the Toshiba free with the projector? I did...from Projector People and have a free Panoview 92" screen on the way.
It throws a nice clear picture huh? Grin  Hopefully the summer is filled with rain free weekends for everyone here!! Grin Grin
Bedrock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 08:25:45 am »

Thanks for the welcome JJ. When I purchased my projector I did get a free 84" screen courtesy of Circuit City; however when I received it I returned it to the store and upgraded it to a 100" screen.  Did you get this Toshiba HD or HD up-conversion or dvd player free?  Doesn't matter it was free.  After I purchased the HD70 and the picture was so great I decided to buy the Toshiba HD DVD player and it has an awesome picture.  When I purchased it I received 5 HD DVD movies for free.  I'm currently using a rolling tv cart for outside.  I'm going to build me a wooden cart for my set up to remain inside when it's outside to make sure that it doesn't get ruined by the evening dew. Grin Grin  JJ you almost got your HD70 for free with all the extras that you received.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone on the site that we all have rainfree weekends....  Grin Shocked Roll Eyes

JJ

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 08:59:39 am »

Bedrock, The Toshiba HD up-conversion. I built a wooden box for my gear that is portable. ( check out my thread here in the theater showcase )  backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=1031.0
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 09:07:40 am by JJ » Logged
Bedrock

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 11:29:52 am »

Cool Cool, Hey JJ I was on your page yesterday and I read it and looked @ your pictures and said that you and I almost have the same set-up.  Your page is what gave me the idea to build a portable box for my equipment.  Did you buy that carry bag for your screen or did you make it or have it made and if so let me know please.  If I ever make another screen i'm going to use blackout only b/c @ night when you are viewing you can't see the seam anyway. You have a great set up by the way.  I didn't see your set-up when i was looking on the site a couple of weeks ago preparing for my screen.  I guess b/c I was only looking at the advertised pictures, so therefore that's all i had to go by. I really do like how you put the speakers on the frame, I may possibly add that to mine in the future.  When I do build a box I'm going to have a covered shelf to leave my box inside while viewing to keep the dew away. I also have a Sony up-conversion DVD player that I used for outside.  I wish that the up-conversion player would play HD dvds.  Also JJ when you are viewing outside what do you have your HD70 set on for the screen.  Meaning LBX, Native or what.  I used LBX but had to lower my projector to the ground, tonight i'm going to try the 4.3 view and see how it works.  I also like how you did the support legs on the botton of the frame (do you have a closer shot of them) and how does it work out for you as for stability. I have rebar under my frame so it hold's really well, however I haven't had a windy night yet.   So any information about that would be appreciated. Cheesy  Thanks  JJ

JJ

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 09:32:31 am »

The bag is made out of vinyl with velcro closure, 2 handles to carry and pull open end. Also a shoulder strap for easy carry. I made it with my wifes sewing machine. The setting is 16:9 native on the PJ. The box is 17" high that the PJ sits on. The screen legs are 80" on both ends,and 72" in the middle. No problem with wind knocking it down.I could pound down those copper pipe hangers over the pvc legs to lock them down. They break down to fit in the bag. I lay the screen on the ground and insert the front part of legs ( the tee is glued to them) then I lift up the screen and insert the back part of the legs. Takes about 8 minutes  to build the screen. Be careful with that covered shelf,make sure your PJ can cool properly.
tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 11:24:57 am »

bedrock -

Glad I could help! I'm tickled that your setup works as easily as mine. I'm not ever sure that I've convinced anyone how easy it really is. Maybe I make it sound harder than it is because I talk too much! But once you work through the instructions, it really is easy.

Great job!

Good luck and glad to hear it went so well for you. The rain WILL stop eventually!

Tom
Bedrock

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 01:05:15 pm »

Thanks JJ for the info.  I will make sure that when I build my box I allow plenty of ventilation for the pj.  I may sew me a bag cover for my screen b/c right now I just fold or roll it up when i'm done for the evening.  Today I may pick up more pcv pipe to do the support legs.

Frank
 Smiley

Bedrock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 01:15:12 pm »

Hello Tom and thanks for the compliment on my screen, glad that you ran across my post.  Thanks for all the help that i got from your featured screen page.  Your pictures made it simple for me to follow, I just eliminated a leg.  I'm still working on support and stability to keep it in place in case there's a windy night.  I wouldn't want to be watching and all a sudden my screen tips over  Grin .  Any ideas you have would be good.  I welcome all ideas from this website.  Man this stuff is addictive being able to watch movies under stars.   Sweet....  Grin

"Bedrock"
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 10:26:02 am by Bedrock » Logged

tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 02:18:03 pm »

I'm still working on support and stability to keep it in place in case there's a windy night.  I wouldn't want to be watching and all a sudden my screen tips over   .  Any ideas you have would be good

Pretty simple....I use two 10' PVC pipes attached to the two upright supports, in the back of the screen. Since you've eliminated one of them, try just one. I just drilled holes in the upright(s) at the height  I wanted them ( about 2/3s up from bottom) and then drilled holes at the end of the supports and used a lag bolt, nut and wing nut to secure. Then I drilled holes at 90 degrees to the top ones to run a stake through.

I also drilled holes on the side supports (you'll need to cut a little out of the screen pockect) and attached three eye bolts with a washer and nut. One facing front, one facing back and one facing the outside. Then I attach guy lines (just ropes run through a block of wood and a ground stake) like tent supports. Then you just tension up the block and you should be go to go. I used S-hooks on the end of the lines to attach to the eye bolts, but they tend to come off while raising the frame. I've thought about some of those locking type hooks, but what I'm REALLY thinking about is eliminating the S-hook and just attaching the end of the line to the eye-bolt.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Good luck!
Tom

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: