Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
49 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 03:19:42 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 07:09:27 am]

[November 26, 2014, 01:00:48 pm]

[November 26, 2014, 01:02:18 am]

[November 25, 2014, 11:49:34 pm]

[November 25, 2014, 12:05:26 pm]

[November 25, 2014, 02:38:57 am]

[November 23, 2014, 07:31:54 pm]

[November 22, 2014, 09:32:18 pm]

[November 20, 2014, 12:02:36 pm]

[November 17, 2014, 11:17:57 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie - what do you think of my setup?  (Read 29304 times)
bymovie
Offline Posts: 3

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2007, 02:36:40 pm »

Well, I have been watching prices on projectors for about a year now. Always been too expensive, but I found the Viewsonic PJ503D for $349 after 2 rebates. Had to jump on the opportunity! Then I was fortunate enough to find this site. It has been very helpful! My projector won't get here for another day or two, so I am getting everything ready while I wait.

I just finished my main big screen. It is 10' X 8'. Made it from PVC and a painters tarp from Lowes. I would like some feedback on it from the pictures below if you have any suggestions for improvement. I made it from 1 1/2" PVC. Thinking I may have to add one or two more cross beams for extra support? The other potential issue is the fair amount of creases in the corners. Will that be a problem? If so, any suggestions to make the tarp more taught? I dont want to go too tight because I already had to redo a couple grommets that tore.

To keep the screen up I buried two 3' sections of 1 1/2" PVC into the ground. Then I put 8' 1x1 wooden stakes into the buried PVC. To put up the screen I place the PVC sections on each side of the screen onto the wooden stakes. Appears to work out well, especially once I put some rope and stakes for extra support. When I take the screen down I can put caps on the buried PVC to keep dirt and water out. Plus you cannot see the buried PVC when the screen is out.

I wanted maximum flexibility with my viewing options so I have configured a ceiling mount for the projector that allows me to use a couple different screens. The big one (8' X 10'), plus a smaller one that will be about 5' by 4'. I sitll have to make the smaller screen and I will probably make a PVC frame and put BOC on it. The smaller screen will be used under the patio roof on the green wall, or in the corner below the speaker. The ceiling mount can slide across the metal bar to achieve the different viewing options.

* backyard theater 4.jpg (110.23 KB, 800x600 - viewed 3421 times.)

* backyard theater 5.jpg (226.64 KB, 800x600 - viewed 4362 times.)

* backyard theater 6.jpg (286.6 KB, 800x600 - viewed 3387 times.)

* backyard theater 8.jpg (192.69 KB, 800x600 - viewed 3202 times.)

* backyard theater 9.jpg (199.71 KB, 800x600 - viewed 3947 times.)

* backyard theater 10.jpg (241.69 KB, 800x600 - viewed 3760 times.)
Coon Creek
Offline Posts: 199

HOME OF THE SCI-FI B Films

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 02:54:17 pm »

Grin Grin Grin Grin

There are a few photos of my PVC screen Design in the below Web Link you may find helpful:

COON CREEK
http://64.143.45.222/cooncreekhome.htm

* armadagoldmarque.jpg (81.17 KB, 576x569 - viewed 3326 times.)

JON J MARTIN
cecilb
Offline Posts: 2052

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 03:28:37 pm »

Got to be Florida by the bermuda grass in the first shot. Smiley

My screen has a few puckers in it and once the movie starts........ poof, nothing.

I think you did a great job............. have fun, I'll be thinking of you in January up here in Chicago

seating for 1,000........... 12 at a time
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2007, 04:04:16 pm »

What a great place to watch a movie!  Nice job, bymovie.

I have to say, I'm not very trusting of those hooks on your projector mount, when pulled at that angle.  I've seen those things snap.  (They seem brittle, pulled at an angle like that)  I might add a safety strap made from a zip tie secured to the board and the chain.  Other than that, it's cool setup.  Does it sit pretty steady, without rocking around in breeze?

Welcome aboard and thanks for posting!  Let us know how it goes when your PJ arrives.

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 08:21:12 am »

bymovie -

Welcome aboard! GREAT location. Looks like Paradise!

Do the puckers in the corner bother you when watching? If not, then don't worry about it. I think the only thing you could do would be to pull them taught by hand and find a way to attach some long diagonal bungees. I tried bungess for my deck screen and just didn't like the results, so I added velcro. Of course, my deck screen is only 4X8 and the velcro is the most expensive part! At least now I can get it as smooth as possible with little effort.

The thing that WOULD bother me is that it is sitting on the ground. Have you considered adding legs to get it up a little higher?

Good luck,
Tom
bymovie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 02:37:37 pm »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

My projector finally came a couple days ago. I am blown away by how good the projected image looks! Better than I imagined. The tarp is more than sufficient. The couple wrinkles and seam vanish once it is dark and in use.

I decided to upgrade my proector mount. I was having a slight problem with it blowing in the wind, plus I wanted something a little stronger and more durable. So I made a mount with PVC and it is working perfectly.

I still havent made a smaller screen out of BOC, but will probably do so. However, the large screen is working out so well that I am not sure if I will want a smaller screen.

I did run into one problem - my neighbors. Gotta figure somehing out about the noise. I will probably try to position my speakers closer to the viewers so they dont need to be so loud. May have to turn down the powered subwoofer too...

Here is a pic of the new projector mount.

* bytheater stand.jpg (254.47 KB, 1000x750 - viewed 3096 times.)
Danoplex II
Offline Posts: 1285

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 09:11:39 pm »

I did run into one problem - my neighbors. Gotta figure somehing out about the noise. I will probably try to position my speakers closer to the viewers so they dont need to be so loud. May have to turn down the powered subwoofer too...

Welcome to my world......Sorry you have this problem.  I hope you can work it out.

Dano

bymovie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 06:27:04 pm »

Finally got my smaller screen finished. Used BOC and made a wood frame. It is 5 1/2' by 4'. I definitely like using the larger screen better, but because the smaller one is under my patio roof and closer to the projector I can start watching it about 1 1/2 hours before it gets dark enough for the big one.

Here are a couple pics

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And a pic of Jerry from a Grateful Dead show on the bigger screen the other night!

« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 06:33:09 pm by bymovie » Logged
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 06:40:34 pm »

VERY cool, bymovie.  I love it!  Dual-use rocks! 

So did Jerry.

- projector under shelter
- dual-use mount

Well done.   Smiley Smiley

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

timtimes
Offline Posts: 434

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 03:44:09 pm »

I applaud both your consideration and implementation of double use, but also your novel projector mount.  Very nice setup.

Mom always told me I was special and I believed her.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: