Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
71 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 09:01:50 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 08:35:55 am]

[Today at 08:32:38 am]

[Today at 08:28:25 am]

[Today at 08:06:11 am]

[Yesterday at 02:21:23 pm]

[Yesterday at 07:03:26 am]

[April 22, 2014, 06:46:54 pm]

[April 22, 2014, 05:05:43 pm]

[April 21, 2014, 11:11:30 pm]

[April 21, 2014, 04:50:46 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gregory's Yard Theater  (Read 39780 times)
mamadada
Offline Posts: 298

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2007, 10:20:31 am »

Okay these are our first pics.  One pic is of the theater area from rear.  The house is my screen.  A pic of my son's Halloween party on the 27th - our first showing.  Didn't feel comfortable posting  pics of everyone from front without the parent's permission.  The weather proof housing with the SVIDEO connection is installed on the "permanent projector station"  that we built ourselves.   I also included a pic of the fire pit on the other side of the yard.  We covered the  projector station with the same slate.  Another pic shows the svideo box coming out of the wall at the bottom right of the screen.  My husband also installed remote equipment in this box.  This is all buried in conduit underground to the projector station.   On the other side of the "screen wall" is our closet where we have the DVD, Receiver and VCR (to be used as a tuner for TV) on closet shelves with speaker connections in ceiling, into attic then to soffit area.  Three outdoor speakers are installed in the soffit area of the "screen wall."  We have virtually "zero" put up and take down work.  My husband brings out the projector when we are ready and brings it in when we are done.  He even bought a head lamp to wear so he can see plugs in the dark.  The picture of the movie was "Monster House."  Believe me, the picture does not do it justice.  The quality of the picture and the sound was amazing to everyone.  Thank you BYT for all of your help!  Thanks for this website Randy and all of your hard work!

* P1010382 (Small).JPG (40.23 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2859 times.)

* P1010504 (Small).JPG (22.13 KB, 360x480 - viewed 1936 times.)

* P1010511 (Small).JPG (30.99 KB, 360x480 - viewed 1919 times.)

* P1010512 (Small).JPG (60.07 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1909 times.)

* P1010515 (Small).JPG (48.46 KB, 640x480 - viewed 3172 times.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 05:55:09 pm by mamadada » Logged

If all he wanted was shadow puppets, you should have bought a flashlight.
cecilb
Offline Posts: 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 01:50:18 pm »

Mamadada.........Heck with screen layout, what a great firepit!

Does the ambient light from the spotlights affect your picture?

And considering St Francis of Assisi's  age, I'd get him a chair.

seating for 1,000........... 12 at a time
mamadada

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 02:42:04 pm »

Thanks.  I should have taken the pic without the cover.  For amateurs, we did a fancy tile job on the top.  Not to mention we properly used "exterior refractory mortar" for the fire brick.  But, I guess I'll save that for the "backyardfirepits.com" website.

The lighting near the soffit was pointed directly opposite the screen towards the left side of the yard.  But, it still drove me crazy and I felt lopsided so we added white Christmas lights on the right on the ground along the privacy fence.  This (feng shuied) balanced me out.  None of the lights affected the picture one bit.

By the way, St. Francis actually watched the movie laying down...people wanted to sit behind him.

Cherry Hills
Offline Posts: 1181

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 01:59:42 pm »

That's a beautiful setup. You even had a gorgeous screen already available. I can't believe you didn't use the whole width of the wall, though. Turn that light off and move the projector back, folks. Bigger is better!

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
mamadada

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 02:37:33 pm »

We did buy the projector and test it before we built the "permanent projector station."  We are at about 23' away from the wall right now.  It tended to loose a little sharpness the further back we went.  Really though, the lighting doesn't do anything to the picture.
The width of the picture is about  10 feet.  How many lumens would you have to have to be able to pull it back to make it bigger?  Our Infocus IN24+ is supposed to be 2200.

rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2403

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 12:29:56 am »

Great setup, mamadada!  I thought for sure your front speakers were going to be in those scarecrows!  Grin

Really nice job on your planning, wiring and install.  You'll use it a lot more with those low setup and teardown times. 

Is the wall stucco?

Well done!

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

mamadada

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 09:43:15 am »

Thanks Randy.  Yes, the whole house is white stucco.  The best part is that it was really an unusable and useless part of the yard.  Still needs some work, but I've got big plans for the future. 

mamadada

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 02:06:52 pm »

Just when I thought my proud moment came when we had our first showing...boom!!!!...another one! We made it on the BYT home page.  Wow, the thrills just keep on coming.  Thanks Randy!

Thanks also for the BYT.com T-Shirt!!!!  What a great Christmas gift it will make for DH.  It's like a walking conversation piece!

Cinema BBQ
Offline Posts: 37

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 08:34:43 pm »

Great job. Very inovative setup. Nice way to keep it easy to set up.
mamadada

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 07:51:19 pm »

Thanks Cinema!  Other than the ease of no screen needed.  The remote capabilities are awesome!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 07:22:13 pm by mamadada » Logged

mamadada

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 02:33:52 pm »

The eye of Gustav passed directly over Gregory's Yard Theater but it still stands strong!  Word of advice...never plant water oaks.  However, he simply won't leave.  Tornados still around.  Rain still pouring.  I am so done with this storm.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 02:42:03 pm by mamadada » Logged

movielover
Offline Posts: 2270

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 02:48:19 pm »

glad you made it through.

Kladder Station Classic Movies - Drive-In & Outdoor Theater
mamadada

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2008, 08:40:08 am »

2nd Annual Halloween/Movie Party this Saturday!  Wish us luck!  Nightmare before Christmas (Thanks again Azure1!)

Weather Forecast Hi 78 Low 56 and clear.

Mosquito Forecast not so good.

DH bought 7 cans of Yard Guard.  Mosquito Control backing up in the driveway tonight and spraying.  Maybe I should give out Gas Masks to the 5 year olds as party favors.

tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2008, 09:37:09 am »

2nd Annual Halloween/Movie Party this Saturday!  Wish us luck!  Nightmare before Christmas

I'd be very interested to know how this goes over with younger kids, like the five year olds. I always thought NBC was a little dark for younger kids.

We'll be doing a double feature of Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet Frankenstien and Hocus Pocus. We try to do one for a much younger audience and then a more family age appropriate one. We used to do a thrird R Rated one but no one was staying around. I think had as much to do with the cold as it did with the fact that we haven't had enough teenagers around.

Good luck,
Tom
mamadada

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2008, 10:02:21 am »

My son loved it and watched the whole thing and never moved.  However, it's not one that he requests to see over and over like Monster House.  I think the "all singing" thing is going to be the problem.  It's pretty short which is good.   Even showing Monster House last year.  1/2 watched the whole thing and the other 1/2 ran off to play.  They're either movie kids or they're not you know?

I'll let you know how it goes.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 10:25:11 am by mamadada » Logged

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: