Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
54 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 06:58:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:43:58 pm]

[Yesterday at 10:36:07 pm]

[Yesterday at 10:33:05 pm]

[Yesterday at 09:27:37 pm]

[December 19, 2014, 03:46:04 pm]

[December 19, 2014, 10:55:40 am]

[December 18, 2014, 02:21:31 pm]

[December 17, 2014, 07:02:45 pm]

[December 16, 2014, 01:37:18 pm]

[December 10, 2014, 12:51:56 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chocolate Outdoor Cinema!  (Read 24521 times)
Chocolatemilk
Offline Posts: 7

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2007, 06:48:19 pm »

Howdy all!

First and foremost, the pics!
http://www.treyandcat.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=22064

I have been reading what it takes to have a nice sized backyard theater, so I decided to give it a try.

I found it was much easier for me to just set a date for my initial showing to get the ball rolling.  As soon as I set the date and let a single person know, I was able to get the ball rolling.

The Setup
Its really a pretty easy and simple setup.
  • Mitsubish HD1000u Projector
  • 164x92 inch screen
  • Xbox 360 for media and gaming
  • Old Sony DE935 Receiver
  • Paradigm Mini Monitors and CC-350 center

We were rebuilding our theater room in the house, so I had a few parts ready for the backyard.

The Location
The location was easy our backyard!  But seriously, the direction of the movies was a big issue.  I didn't want to blast it at everyone in the neighborhood, but i also wanted the screen to be visible from the street when the gate on the fence was open (so guests knew where to go).

I decided to use some existing 4x4 posts we had from a fence we removed (since we are on the end of the neighborhood we have a brick wall built behind the wooden privacy fence).  Anway, my wife's garden made a good barrier, and we had a great time during the movie.  The first film was Ratatouille.  For those of you who have not watched this, it is most excellent. 

This is just the beginning of theater season here in Sugarland / Houston, TX as the weather was impeccable.  A nice 68F at movie start, and perfect throughout the film.  We had 25 guests at the first showing, and we are hoping for more in the future.  A good burger, some hot dogs, guacamole, and a few BEvERages made the night.

Comments are suggested, and completely appreciated.  I definately had fun doing this with my family and friends.  If you are in the Houston area and want to come to the 2nd showing, just send me an IM.  Thanks again for the great ideas everyone.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 11:03:19 pm by Chocolatemilk » Logged
Mao
Offline Posts: 226

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 09:22:59 pm »

Welcome, Chocolatemilk!

You are now hooked and I must live vicariously through you since we don't open up the next season till June!

Nice setup...have fun!!!!   Grin

Backyard Theater - Featured Member" border="0
mamadada
Offline Posts: 299

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 12:36:28 pm »

Hey Chocolate!!! Finally someone in my neck of the woods!  We're in Lafayette.  I was just complaining this weekend that it's either too hot or too cold in this area.  We just had our first showing 10/27.  One beautiful cool night.  Since then, way too hot.  November - can you believe.  Waiting for another comfortable night.  My brother and sister-in-law live in First Colony.  He came to my opening night on 10/27.  I'll bet he would love to check yours out!

If all he wanted was shadow puppets, you should have bought a flashlight.
Chocolatemilk

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 12:47:21 pm »

Hey the weather here has been spectacular!  (I like it hot).  I am loving global warming  Cheesy

It was 68 degrees at movie time, but the afternoon was all shorts and t-shirts.

Hey mamadada, we are also in First Colony (right at Lexington and Dulles) so if your Brother and sister-in-law are up for it, our next showing will be the first weekend in December.  We had a bunch of kids there and they all had great fun, so if they have any, tell them to bring them along too.  Just send me an IM!
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 12:14:18 am »

Hey Chocolatemilk, welcome aboard!  Looks like a great setup. 

What did you use for your screen frame? 

Keep us posted!

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

KMac
Offline Posts: 341

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 12:33:40 am »

Hey, Chocolatemilk,
    Welcome to the madness!  Nice setup! Being in TX, you still have some outdoor viewingtime. Enjoy!!

KMac
Chocolatemilk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 11:37:21 pm »

The screen frame is 1.5 inch PVC in the exact same format as WarrenP's setup. 

Since I had the space on the back with existing 4x4 posts standing nearly 6 feet tall, I cut a 2x4 in 8 inch long pieces and mounted those on the 4x4 posts as a bottom bracket so we could get the screen in place.  Now we just hoist it up in place and zip tie the PVC to the 4x4 posts and its ready to go.  The screen breaks apart into 3 pieces which I bungie together.  The whole lot is then put in the garage, off the floor using bicycle hooks attached to the studs in the side wall.

Movie night 2 is upon us, but its rather cold here today.  If we don't see a +10 degree upgrade, we will have to postpone this one.  South Texans don't do cold.
Chocolatemilk

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 03:36:21 am »

Alright!

Movie Night Number 2 is now in the books.  Why do I say now?  Well were were playing Guitar Hero 3 until 1:30 AM (I know my neighbors appreciated that!).

It was a great time had by all.  The movie of the night was Mr. Brooks.  Talk about something a little more adult.  The audience this time was sans minors so we indulged in some cocktails and egg-nog.  Of course Burgers were on the grill, and lots of good eats were to be had. 

This is the time of year when I love living in Houston.  Its 2:30 in the morning and it its 70 degrees outside.  Though the fog is rolling in, so I am glad we closed down shop when we did.  Everything was getting a bit moist.

This time around my setup time was just about 20 minutes.  We are thinking of ways to make it even shorter, but I don't want to have to run an electrical line 100 feet from my house.
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 10:24:02 am »

This is the time of year when I love living in Houston.  Its 2:30 in the morning and it its 70 degrees outside.  Though the fog is rolling in, so I am glad we closed down shop when we did.  Everything was getting a bit moist.

This time around my setup time was just about 20 minutes.  We are thinking of ways to make it even shorter, but I don't want to have to run an electrical line 100 feet from my house.

Sounds like a great night!  We, on the other hand, had an ice storm.  But it all melted overnight. 

How long will you have weather like this in Houston?  Most of the winter or will it eventually get colder?  I think I was in Brownsville in the winter once but never Houston. 

Keep whittling away at your setup time.  20 minutes is very good.  10 minutes is better!   And it all gets faster/more routine the more you do it.  It takes me about 2 minutes to make my 8-10 connections at the receiver/amp-end.  But most are coded in some way (I mark my right front and rear channels/wires with yellow paint) then everything else falls into place.  Smiley  More than one guest who has spent all afternoon wiring their new home theater system have remarked about how fast my hookup goes, given the number of connections.  But it's all in the routine.  I can remember the same challenges years ago.

Have a blast and thanks for posting!

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

Chocolatemilk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2008, 12:22:04 am »

Fun keeps coming.

Last weekend was my Wife's 29th birthday and we had a nice little backyard party.  40 people and lots of burgers and hot dogs.  We started around 6PM with just music, and 8PM with the movie.  We watched Juno (great film) and Enchanted for the night cap.

Switched to a PS3 for the source, but everything else remained the same.  Had a great time and now with more people interested in coming, its definately more fun.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: