Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
49 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 07:18:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:35:52 pm]

[Yesterday at 03:36:26 pm]

[Yesterday at 10:49:24 am]

[October 29, 2014, 12:48:55 am]

[October 29, 2014, 12:22:27 am]

[October 27, 2014, 03:36:49 pm]

[October 25, 2014, 10:23:23 am]

[October 23, 2014, 11:04:45 pm]

[October 22, 2014, 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The $20.00 sideyard drive-in theater  (Read 138651 times)
victor-eyd
Offline Posts: 1041

View Profile
« on: May 17, 2006, 10:17:30 pm »

Okay, I've threatened to make one ever since I found out about this forum so here we go....

This is my outdoor driveway movie theater. I have rather large and fairly flat driveway and I decided to install the ht there for a few reasons:
1. The house holds back the wind from the bay so no one overly freezes as they would if the ht was in the backyard and
2. The large expanse of driveway allows me to add or reduce the size of the venue as I see fit.

Everything I used to create this was either given to me as a throwout, or bought on craigslist. Being the resident cheapskate of this forum, this is the overall look of the theater.

Wiring: paid $7 for a 500ft spool 8 yrs ago, so currently worth nothing
Playback : Portable dvd player bought on craigslist for $10
Projector: NEC MT820 also bought on craigslist for $10.00
Speakers: No name flea market stuff, but 6" subwoofer is from a SOny HTIB and is powered by an Partsexpress sub amp (all free)

Driveway venue space measures 25x60 ft give or take. The pavers are a nice touch and as an added bonus, little kids can play inside the garage if it gets too cold outside.

Screen will be mounted on the metal fence and is made of 3 or 4 panels of 48"x81" 1" thick cardboard. This isn't your usual box-material cardboard. It more like rigid panels of two cardboard sheets with a 1" thick honeycomb pattern sandwiched between. This makes the panel very stiff but also very light. I am going to paint the cardboard with white paint (free) but if the material begins to warp, I may end up using wooden 1/8" mdf sheets. Again, I got these from work free.

Anyways, here are some pics

Driveway

Fence closeup

Rear spkrs

Front speakers mounted

Closeup of front speakers

My 1st attempt, which failed as you can see (to be honest, looking back at it the image would have been better if I made it more taut. I was able to on one pic but ultimately, I was pretty sure the wrinkles would have been too much

More pictures to come
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:30:10 pm by victor-eyd » Logged

Big Screen Outdoors
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 12:25:26 am »

You are the master, Victor.

Lemme guess... you paid what, about 10k for that house?

I love it.  You even make low-tech speaker mounts and stands look great.

Nice work!

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

Pass_The_Off
Offline Posts: 215

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 02:21:41 pm »

Howdy

Nice place.  Yeppers that mite not work to well.  But by looking at your speaker set up. 

I look forward to your finished product.
Emperor PalpaTim
Offline Posts: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 11:09:04 pm »

I love the speaker stands!  (And your house rocks, too!) 
hiredpower
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 11:22:28 pm »

Victor,

Very nice work.

Don't worry about the screen failures. Been there, done that too. I can't wait to see the end result.

I have access to some plastic corrugated sheets, but they're only 16" x 36" darnit!

Emperor PalpaTim
Offline Posts: 48

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:26:15 pm »

Plastic corrugated sheets?  Like the kind they make yard signs out of? 

Victor:  Yep, I've had my share of failures, too.  My first two screens were complete disasters.  Don't give up or lose hope.  I find that outdoor theaters are always a work in progress. 
hiredpower
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2006, 11:30:21 pm »

Emperor, I'll shoot a quick picture of them on Friday.

I can't tell what they're supposed to be used for.
Admin
Administrator
Offline Posts: 22

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2006, 11:40:23 pm »

I gotta dig up the photos of half of my first screen (plywood) sitting on top of my roof.  And the other half in the front yard after a storm and get them posted here somewhere.  Live and learn!

Maybe we'll need a crash and burn forum.  Smiley

Randy
rrg
Offline Posts: 169

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 09:03:24 am »

Randy,
Good idea, I still have some of my "crash and burn" materials in the garage.
My cable wire home made hoist device really did crash down a few times.

Live and learn.
rrg

MY SETUP| Screen: Regular Trapeze  - Frame: 10'x20' EMT stand - Projector: BenQ mp720p - DVD: LG 511 - Sound: 5.1 Yamaha Reciever
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 09:28:49 pm »

I just notice my "failure" is now part of the Featured Members theaters! Yikes! I've got to finish that screen pronto Grin

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
hiredpower
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 09:54:44 pm »

Maybe a little motivator?
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 10:06:18 pm »

Alright, more work in progress...

Here are the panels (3) 48x85

This is a test panel so the bump is no big deal.

Closeup of the cardboard panel. Extremely rigid, but also very light.

The next project- 16'x9' rear projection screen

Victor
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:32:39 pm by victor-eyd » Logged

Big Screen Outdoors
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 11:01:18 pm »

Hey Victor, I don't view that as a failure.  I get a lot of emails from people saying they want to start but can't build a screen or invest much cash.  I always try to encourage them to start with whatever they can manage -- but start.  Mr. Hollingshead started with a sheet hung between two trees and a projector sitting on the hood of his car, and drive-ins were born.

My first test screen was a big piece of Tyvek housewrap just because I had saved it from our remodeling project.  And it beat the heck out of no screen at all!

And you're an inspirational contributor here for a lot of people with your uncanny ability to find great bargains.  You should be featured.  But I'll update that photo for you when you have your $37.00 75-foot-wide screen done. Smiley

No pressure.

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 01:15:46 am »

Okay- phase 2 begins. Oh we are so close now I can't wait!!

This is my backup panel. The marks are to show where my velcro will be positioned. The electrical paint strips are for another use as you will soon see...

Back of the panel. Simple strips of velcro adhere the panel to the fence, insuring a secure fit from the wind.

All panels up. Thanks helper! Grin

Rear of panels

Okay, why the electrical tape? Simple. I am going to use white masking tape to cover the gap between each panel. If I simply adhere it to the cardboard, when I remove the tape, the cardboard will rip. The electrical tape serves as a plastic buffer to protect the white tape from ruining the screen. Obviously, once the tape rips of it will take some paint with it. So I'll simply touch up and screen's ready for the next session.

Just to reiterate, this is a 12ft wide 16x9 screen, or 165". Its about medium size with this crowd Grin Grin

Photoshopped but you get the general idea for now

Next step: white paint
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:36:33 pm by victor-eyd » Logged

Big Screen Outdoors
movieman
Offline Posts: 1470

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2006, 05:24:29 am »

When you get done are you going to raise the screen up a couple of feet. Right now people in seating behind the first row will have heads in the way. Just a thought. 

rg
see you at the movies

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: