Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
54 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 08:41:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 08:31:32 pm]

[Yesterday at 04:07:06 pm]

[September 16, 2014, 07:06:53 am]

[September 16, 2014, 07:00:23 am]

[September 16, 2014, 06:56:26 am]

[September 16, 2014, 02:00:40 am]

[September 13, 2014, 05:19:33 pm]

[September 13, 2014, 02:27:59 am]

[September 12, 2014, 10:52:45 pm]

[September 12, 2014, 09:08:53 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The TIMAX Experience: Inked Monkey Productions Outdoor Theater  (Read 121356 times)
Emperor PalpaTim
Offline Posts: 48

View Profile
« on: May 18, 2006, 01:41:01 am »

I wish these forums would've been around four years ago when I started doing backyard "drive-in" nights.  I've learned the hard way, and have invested a lot of time and money, but I've finally just about perfected my setup after four incarnations and several modifications.

Here's my monstrosity:

The frame itself is 28'w x 23'h, while the screen as pictured here was 26'w x 13'h.  Tonight I added another 52" to the height of the screen to better accommodate movies that aren't in the 2.35:1 aspect ratio.  (The Star Wars Films were my template.)   The frame itself is made of 2" PVC Pipe, and weighs somewhere around 600 lbs. (I was going to use EMT, but steel prices shot up dramatically during the design phase.  PVC, at the time, was about 80% less than EMT, so I made some changes and went with plastic.)  I've since changed the design just a bit, and will include pics after this weekend's annual presentation of the Star Wars Saga.

I've started using it to promote the short films that my production company has made (www.inkedmonkey.com) , which, thankfully, makes it a promotional expense.   My friend and partner in the company came up with the TIMAX name as a joke.  It sort of stuck. (My name is Tim, BTW.)

I'm using three separate surround sound systems, which are wired up by a system of conduit tubes which I can lay out before the screenings.  Total sound:  1500 watts among 15 speakers and 3 subwoofers.  I've recently made some changes so that the wiring can be quick-connected to speed up set up, (which generally takes around 3 hours). 

I'm using an older Sharp projector, which does fine up to a 30' wide screen.  Had I know this, I would've made the setup even bigger.  Ah, well.

Here are a few screen shots I could dig up on short notice.  I'll try and find some more when I get the time.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 01:45:21 am by Emperor PalpaTim » Logged
victor-eyd
Offline Posts: 1040

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 02:34:03 am »

Holy cow that's awesome!! Grin

What's your trick to the night shots? Everytime I try to do it the result is always awful.

Victor

PS This is one sick bunch of people on this forum. Cheesy

Its not about picture quality or upscaling dvd players or 720p pjs, its all about

SCREEN SIZE

Big Screen Outdoors
tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 08:00:38 am »

Simply AMAZING! Great setup!

Glad you WEREN'T around when I started my screen, or I NEVER would have gotten done! Grin

Tom
rrg
Offline Posts: 169

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 08:58:16 am »

That screen stand is a small engineering marvel.
Does the screen also come with that crew.

Keep up the good work.

MY SETUP| Screen: Regular Trapeze  - Frame: 10'x20' EMT stand - Projector: BenQ mp720p - DVD: LG 511 - Sound: 5.1 Yamaha Reciever
Emperor PalpaTim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 10:06:10 am »

Victor-eyed:  Thanks a lot for the kind words.    Actually, I'm still amazed at the quality of the projection considering the size of the screen, and the fact that the projector is an older professional-series Sharp.  What gets me is that we tried it with newer projectors, and while the resolution of the newer LCD models is better, they just can't stack up to the old Sharp model when it comes to THE AWESOME SCREEN SIZE OF THE MIGHTY TIMAX....

...Sorry... got a bit carried away there.  I'm really a complete Clark Griswold at heart, and I have a tendency to go all-out- and completely overboard- on anything I do.  (I'm the guy that puts 20,000 Christmas lights on a 1200 sq. ft. house. )

I love having a huge screen.  I'm sure someone's eventually going to make the old "compensating for something" crack.   Cheesy

And glad to know that I've found another sick bunch of folks to hang out with.  Check out the "TFP" button on my Inked Monkey Productions site and you'll see why.

tlogan6797:  Thanks a lot!  I wish I'd have been here back then.  I know that a lot of you have been doing this for a while.  You all would've probably saved me a lot of money in modifications and upgrades.  (Oh, and repairs.  This thing has been blown over twice:  Once while watching "Star Wars: A New Hope" at the exact moment they blew up Alderaan.)

The downside of having a 26' wide "sail" in your backyard when the screen is hoisted up.  On the plus side:  The frame itself is a permanent structure, and has withstood winds up to 70 mph without being anchored down.  (That was when Hurricane Elvis struck the Memphis area.)  

rrg:   Cheesy   My friends who helped me build it refer to it as "The Death Star".  As for the crew, I usually end up bribing three or four friends with food and booze to help me set up.  It takes at least three people to hoist the screen up onto the frame.  (I come from a theatre background, so it's rigged somewhat like a single-purchase pinrail, minus the counterweights.  Had I had time, I would've fully-integrated the complete pinrail.

Emperor PalpaTim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 03:56:54 pm »

I never realized this, but my old Sharp projector is only 500 Lumens!  I can't believe that the picture was that good. 

So, I just bought a 2200 Lumens Sharp XG-NV6XU. It should be here for tomorrow night's presentation of Episodes I & II.  I can't wait to see how it looks.

Cherry Hills
Offline Posts: 1181

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 01:35:01 am »

Lordy, what a setup! You have a real drive-in there, Tim, not just a miniature replica like most of us.

You're going to be blown away by what the new projector will do, if 500 lumens seemed adequate.

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
Emperor PalpaTim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 02:00:38 pm »

Thanks, BusyHands.  As always, I went overboard when designing and constructing it.  My best friend laughed at me last night, recalling how I showed him a one page plan for it when I first mentioned it to him, and how it had grown to six pages in less than a week. 

I wasn't overly impressed by the projector.  Of course, then again, I didn't have any clue how to use it properly since it had just arrived yesterday just a few hours before the showing.  I did notice the visual clarity was a lot better.  I've just got to experiment with it this week.

Well, last night was a disaster.

There's an old Shel Silverstein poem that contains these lines:

"Some kind of help,
Is the kind of help,
That helping's all about.

And some kind of help,
Is the kind of help,
We all can live without."

I've been told by a lot of friends that I have a tendency not to accept help in doing certain things.  Yes, I admit that I'm a true perfectionist, and a bit anal retentive when it comes to my projects, whether it be my outdoor setup, my editing, my costuming, etc.  Sometimes it's easier to do something myself than explain it to someone else.  I usually can have it done by the time I've finished explaining it. 

Don't get me wrong:  I appreciate any help I can get, but I've found that I'm better off handling certain things myself. 

Well, one of my friends helped me finish up the wiring system last night.  I had the ends of the wired coded with stripes for the speaker it went to.  (The new wiring system leaves all of the components, with the exception of the projector, in the storage room attached to the house.  I have a PVC conduit that runs to a box to hold the wire and the male end of a 36-pin connector that plugs into the system of wiring that is protected by conduit, which can be folded up and stored.)  Well, my friend cut off too much wiring when attaching pins to the end, and my entire marking system was shot.  Speakers got connected wrong, sounded watery on other channels.  Oh, and I didn't have something set up right on the projector, so that took a little doing. A complete and utter disaster, to say the least.  We ran two hours late, and didn't start Episode One until 10 pm.   

The good thing, at least, is that we had about 50 people who all had a good time, (myself included after two martinis from the bar).  After we watched Episode II and the fuddy duddies were gone, we watched a little bit of  Baseketball and laughed our butts off.  I finally got to bed around 4 am. 

This is what I get for not being prepared.

I left the speakers set up so I can go out today and fix everything.   Plus I'm going to set the projector up here in the house to learn how to use it correctly.  Wish me luck. 

I forsee a few more martinis in my immediate future.
rrg
Offline Posts: 169

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 03:34:06 pm »

In reference to the new projector. The same thing happen to me. I got it plugged it
in and watched a movie. I never had time to read the manual. It turns out there are
many light settings to play with. i.e. gaming, presentation, photos & movie. The farther away from
screen the more light I presume you will need.  I had mine on economy the first night.

Only 2 night on the new projector and the settings are still changing.

That screen frame still makes me laugh.

MY SETUP| Screen: Regular Trapeze  - Frame: 10'x20' EMT stand - Projector: BenQ mp720p - DVD: LG 511 - Sound: 5.1 Yamaha Reciever
Emperor PalpaTim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 10:55:17 pm »

I'm just glad that all of my neighbors have been cool about it.  All of them have told me that they can't even hear it when they're inside their homes, and it's barely audible in my front yard. 

rrg:  You can see why we refer to it as the "Death Star".   Thanks for the advice on the projector.  I'm going to have to read the manual and play with it tomorrow night.  I'm about to do a little more wire splicing to fix the screw up that occured yesterday.  I really should go to bed, but I'm feeling too blasted antsy. 

It's going to be a busy week for me.  We're doing the remaining four movies of the Star Wars Saga this Friday and Saturday nights, with a backyard campout both nights, and I have to be sure to be ready.  Life would be so much easier if that whole "work" thing didn't keep interfering.  That "sleep" thing takes up too much time, too.

Victor:  Back to your earlier post-  I'll have to ask my friend how he gets such good screen shots.  He's the one that takes all of them.  I know he has a really nice digital camera, but I don't know what brand. 

rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 10:37:38 pm »

What a killer rig!

Welcome to the forums, Emperor.  It just cracks me up seeing the people walking around under this screen!

I just linked you up in the featured section of the forums and will try to add more to the main page tonight.

Nice work!

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

hiredpower
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 10:53:59 pm »

I've been told by a lot of friends that I have a tendency not to accept help in doing certain things.  Yes, I admit that I'm a true perfectionist, and a bit anal retentive when it comes to my projects, whether it be my outdoor setup, my editing, my costuming, etc.  Sometimes it's easier to do something myself than explain it to someone else.  I usually can have it done by the time I've finished explaining it. 

Don't get me wrong:  I appreciate any help I can get, but I've found that I'm better off handling certain things myself. 

(Keith bows down to the Emperor).....then laughs. I see we have more than the backyard theater in common.

Excellent work on the screen. I'm glad your neighbors are cool with it.

Hey, when you're not showing movies, maybe you could rent the space out as a billboard?

Thanks for sharing the pics.
Emperor PalpaTim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 11:22:41 pm »

Randy:  Thanks for adding me to the Featured Members!  I had to make it tall enough so no one could walk in front of the projector (and to maximize seating room.)  After our first drive-in ever, where the first 10' x 20' screen was only about 3' off the ground, I realized that I couldn't stand having it set up where someone could walk in front of the screen. 

Keith:  Aw, now... No bowing, please!  Don't suck up to a f up!  Tongue Grin  Nice to know that I'm not the only perfectionist out there.  I was beginning to think I was obsessive.  Roll Eyes   I'm laughing at the billboard idea.   Hmmm.... wonder if I could get any takers?   Cheesy

I was wrong about my old projector: It's 1400 lumens instead of 500.  I pulled the wrong specs from Projector Central.  The new one is 2200, and I finally got to play around with it and get the bugs out of it as well.

Finally got all the bugs ironed out of the sound system tonight, and I'm thrilled with the new configuration.  Creating two "walls" of sound for the front and rear channels really made a difference.  It sounds a lot richer and clearer, and the center channels aren't as overpowered as they were by the old configuration. 

Now, all I need is someone to tell me how to put up a cabin tent.  It's one of those type that has the three u-shaped pole assemblies, and I'm lost as a goose in trying to assemble it.  I can build a monster screen frame, but I can't assemble a tent.  Sad, isn't it?   This weekend is our big Star Wars weekend, otherwise known as Vaderpalooza.  We have about 20 people camping out in our backyard for two nights to watch the SW films.  Granted, I consider it "roughing it" when there's no room service, which is why this campout is in my backyard.  It's going to be fun- even more fun if I can get this blasted tent up! 
Pass_The_Off
Offline Posts: 215

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2006, 08:20:32 pm »

Sweet

Just for fun,  what's your throw distance?
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2006, 10:18:19 pm »

I went tall too.  The bottom of my screen is about 8 (make that about 9) feet off the ground.  People can walk around on the deck without getting into the picture.

Hope everything went well tonight!

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: