Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
70 Guests, 1 User
scotty s
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 06:03:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 03:36:26 pm]

[Today at 10:49:24 am]

[Yesterday at 01:18:22 pm]

[Yesterday at 12:48:55 am]

[Yesterday at 12:22:27 am]

[October 27, 2014, 03:36:49 pm]

[October 25, 2014, 10:23:23 am]

[October 23, 2014, 11:04:45 pm]

[October 22, 2014, 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two Hound Dog's Theater  (Read 21363 times)
katzeye
Offline Posts: 16

View Profile
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:20:15 pm »

I finally took the time to dig into my files and find the pictures of my theater. This is from our first screening last summer and we have yet to bust it out for 2008.
The screen size is 8 1/2' x 20' (2.35:1), and we have it mounted on legs that are 2', but we have since switched it to 3' (That is my partner in crime Dan in the pictures, He is the hardware expert). The frame is built out of 1 1/4" PVC, that is reinforced with 2x 10'x1" PVC in the top of the frame, and 10'x 1" metal conduit in the legs for extra strength when erecting the frame.  there are cables and a turn buckle across the top to keep the whole thing together. We used all deep pocket joints for extra strength. There is no glue so it breaks down completely. The screen material is Dazian Trapeze Plus and is attached to the frame using the 4" PVC Pipe Snap Clamps (PM me if you want to know where I  got them). If people decide to go with the Snap Clamps, make sure to Dremmel the ends as they are sharp and can tear the screen. And the whole thing is tied down using ratchet straps so we can tension them as needed, and attached to to Dog tie down screws (thanks to a donation from the Hound Dogs).
Since this picture is old we have made some changes. We painted the middle three uprights black, to kill the reflection, and we have trimmed down the excess material. We also got a metal cart so we can wheel the whole system out.
The electronics are a Epson Powerlite 20+ running at 480p (16:9) connected to a Sony DVD player through component. And a Onkyo 5.1 system borrowed from a buddy who moved away, (We are going to have to buy a new system this summer). And the whole thing is controlled through my Harmony 880.

It has been a great system, we love it.

* IMG_3695.jpg (144.93 KB, 864x648 - viewed 3408 times.)

* IMG_3698.jpg (102.13 KB, 864x648 - viewed 3022 times.)

* IMG_3693.jpg (146.44 KB, 864x648 - viewed 2409 times.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 11:01:14 pm by katzeye » Logged
tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 10:48:07 am »

Looks sweet!

Have you thought about raising the legs up to about 36-48"? I have mine at 48" and it works out as most of thekids sit/lay on blankets and the adults sit in lawn chairs, so the hewight works out so that everyone can see.

Good luck,
Tom
katzeye

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 11:59:54 am »

Thanks,
We currently have it swapped out for 36". We found that we have good head clearance, where it was a little short at 24". We haven't tried 48", but we did try 60" and it was much too tall. people were straining their necks and it was a little wobbly on the set up, while we got it ratcheted down.
PyramidPyro
Offline Posts: 555

Burn, baby, burn!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 04:16:10 pm »

I went the SnapClamp route to test them on smaller screen I built.  I'll be using them to hold canvas for the next few weeks/months but hope to upgrade to BOC soon. 

How are the SnapClamps treating you?  Did the dremel protect enough?  Are they holding the material tight and preventing wrinkles?  Any recommendations for quantity:length?

Thanks,

Erik

www.PyramidPyro.com  .......because it's unnecessary and totally ridiculous.  That's why! - Ventura County Backyard Theater
katzeye

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 02:59:50 pm »

I went the SnapClamp route to test them on smaller screen I built.  I'll be using them to hold canvas for the next few weeks/months but hope to upgrade to BOC soon. 

How are the SnapClamps treating you?  Did the dremel protect enough?  Are they holding the material tight and preventing wrinkles?  Any recommendations for quantity:length?

Thanks,

Erik
Hi Erik
The snap clamps work great on the large screen. We take our screen down after every showing so it is really easy to take down with the clamps.
It does take some trial and error with the clamps to keep the Trapeeze from wrinkling but it is easy once you figure it out.
We went with the 4" and we use 3 clamps for every 5' segment. across the top and bottom. We use about 6 running down the sides.
You really do need to dremmel them well. I had to go back and do it again after the first showing, if they have ANY edge and they are pulled off incorrectly they can pierce the material.
Dennis
Offline Posts: 768

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:26:11 pm »

I love the SnapClamps...and agree that the ends need to be rounded off.  I just used a piece of sandpaper during a very boring conference call and knocked the edges off.

The trapeze is pretty sturdy...during a storm a couple of weeks ago my 16x9 screen was totally blown off the 1" EMT frame, littering the ground with a few dozen SnapClips!  A trip through the washer/dryer and it was good as new.

I do have a couple of very small holes in the trapeze but they show no signs of wanting to "run".

I used to take the screen down after each show last year but after seeing how strong it was and hearing Randy's stress-test results I leave it up unless Auntie Em calls up with a storm warning.

Ultimately the pessimist may be proven right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip!
katzeye

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:35:57 pm »

The trapeze is pretty sturdy...during a storm a couple of weeks ago my 16x9 screen was totally blown off the 1" EMT frame, littering the ground with a few dozen SnapClips!  A trip through the washer/dryer and it was good as new.

I can't believe they came off at all. We did leave our screen up one night and we had an unexpected wind storm. The clamps held so well that the wind took down the whole screen, ripping out 2 dog screws. My two Basset Hounds have yet to rip out one, and they get pretty wild when a squirrel walks by.
Dennis
Offline Posts: 768

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 05:40:20 pm »

I can't believe they came off at all. We did leave our screen up one night and we had an unexpected wind storm. The clamps held so well that the wind took down the whole screen, ripping out 2 dog screws. My two Basset Hounds have yet to rip out one, and they get pretty wild when a squirrel walks by.

There were twisters in the area...I've seen the screen billow out like a sail on a sailboat before and snap right back...this was some heavy-duty wind that popped it off the frame!

Ultimately the pessimist may be proven right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip!

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: