Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
52 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 03:16:45 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:35:52 pm]

[Yesterday at 03:36:26 pm]

[Yesterday at 10:49:24 am]

[October 29, 2014, 12:48:55 am]

[October 29, 2014, 12:22:27 am]

[October 27, 2014, 03:36:49 pm]

[October 25, 2014, 10:23:23 am]

[October 23, 2014, 11:04:45 pm]

[October 22, 2014, 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Falls Ridge Movie Nights!  (Read 122215 times)
tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« on: May 25, 2006, 09:12:03 am »

This is the "official" Falls Ridge Movie Nights! thread.

A short history.

One of the things that attracted us to this neighborhood was the social calendar, which included outdoor movie nights. Of course, right after we moved in, the guy who owned the projector moved out. For two years there were no outdoor movies. It was a dark time in the neighborhood. Trees and flowers didn't bloom, grass browned out, neighbors squabbled with each other and the pond became covered in scum (OK, that last part is actually true!) Then my wife became chairperson of the social committe and it was being reported that the movies were sorely missed. Then, last year, a neighbor pointed out a sale at Costco, for a Sharp Notevision XR-1S and the pall was lifted! Falls Ridge Movie Nights! was born.

A portable screen was needed. I found this site and after reading here and eleswhere I came up with design for a portable screen. I had a vague idea of what I wanted and pretty much designed it as I went. I used 1 1/4" PVC as it is easy to find and easy to cut. I used Blackout Cloth for the same reason. I decided on a roughly 16:9 screen (about 8'X12'), created a rough sketch and bought some supplies. I layed everything out, had the wife sew the screen and this is what we came up with. It took about 12 hours over two days to complete the design, sew the fabric and build it.

Here are the basic components.

And here are the connectors for the layout of the frame. I try to "train" a neighbor every time I put it up, and once I lay out the connectors, it's all pretty obvious. One change is that I swapped out the "T" connectors on the bottom row for "CROSS" connectors (the ones that look like "+") so tha I could add two more legs in the middle. You can see the additional legs in the second pic.

Here it is being assembled

And here it is after being raised and in the process of being staked

COMPLETED!

I'll post more ( and better) pics as I get them!

Please feel free to comment or ask any questions!

Tom
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:57:50 am by tlogan6797 » Logged
Emperor PalpaTim
Offline Posts: 48

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 10:53:21 am »

That's great, Tom!  It's nice to know that folks like movie nights, and it's even nicer when folks put them on for others to enjoy.  I like your screen setup:  Simple and efficient.  I may have to copy it and build a smaller, portable screen. 

How does the guy-wire system hold up against the wind?  I would love to use my existing screen, but I'm worried that it would be too large to make it portable. 
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 12:21:47 pm »

Emperor -

I am honored by your response! Grin

Well, we had gusts up to 30mph during the day, but it calmed down some as the sun set, so it's hard to tell the exact wind velocity. Also, where we set up is somewhat sheltered, but it was still gusty. Last Halloween it was VERY windy until about 1 1/2 - 2 hours after sunset. It almost blew over while raising it. Once it was staked, it was fine. It billowed out  a couple of times during one of the movies and made me really nervous, but it held. It just takes a few more hands to get it raised in the wind. If it stays too windy, I'm not going to go through with the  show anyway, as it will be too uncomfortable for people to sit for a long time.

That's the nice thing about this design...it's just as easy to make a larger one as a smaller one. And it would take the same amount of time to assemble and dis-assemble, as there would be the same number of parts, just different sizes.

Let us know how it goes!

Good luck,
TOm
Emperor PalpaTim
Offline Posts: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 11:07:56 pm »

Thanks for the advice, Tom.  Inspired by your design, I'm going to build a similar design with 3/4" EMT and tent fittings for my existing screen.  My sister wants me to do a movie night for my nephew this summer, and I figure now is as good a time as any to go ahead and build one.    I would stick with 2" PVC (like the rest of my frame), but it wouldn't be as portable since it's so bulky.  (I love PVC.  My friends say that I have a sickness, but you can build anything out of PVC.) 

-Tim
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 03:21:53 pm »

Had our latest showing this past Saturday.

A 3 minute countdown
A clip of Sinatra and Elvis singing Love Me Tender/Witchcraft
Bugs Bunny Cartoon Broomstick Bunny
Main feature - Bewitched

PERFECT weather...disappointing turnout. Go figure. I don't think anyone "gets" the entire pre-show connections I do.

Current upgrades tested out (pics to follow):
1) front speaker "stands" to attach to screen frame (FL & FR worked great - center needs work)
2) rear speaker stands made from triangular tomato cages (actually tried these last time). Added a "stand" similar to the fronts...worked out great!
3) used the "garden hose snake" trick for cable runs to front speakers. Worked great as far as I went with it. Needs a little more work.

Pics coming soon!  One of these days I'll set up early enough to have daylight to get pics of the equipment "rack" once it's set up!

Tom
kelemvor
Offline Posts: 1377

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 08:25:17 pm »

What are the dimenions of the pieces you have?  Verticls are 8...  Horizontal pieces are 4'...  How long are the legs?

How wobbly is the fram as it's being put up?  Do the joints hold well or does the screen play a big part in keeping the whole thing together?

I'm trying to figure out exactly what sizes of various things to use on my screen. (Topic in the Screens forum)

THanks.

tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 10:45:16 am »

Hope you got your answers in the other threads....

Legs are 4 feet also. That can be changed to suit your needs. It just made it easier to cut all the 4 foot pieces at once. Plus they are all interchangeable. Makes for a somewhat esaier setup.

Yes, the screen does a lot to stablilize the set up. It's not very wobbly to raise. It just helps to have someone holding the back supports as it goes up. If you are alone, it helps to have a hammer handy and the stakes in the bottom of the back support sticking through enough to "grab" the ground enough to hold it upright, then quick pund them in the rest of the way. You should be good from there.

Good luck,
Tom
tartag
Offline Posts: 24

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 03:57:48 pm »

Tom-

Can you provide some more detail on the BO cloth?  I have built the fram and now need to select the screen.  I had a theater in my previous house and loved the black out cloth.  what dimensions of fabric did you find, is the seam noticable? how did you stretch/secure the cloth.

Cheers,
tartag
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 09:18:29 pm »

tartag -

I used 54" from the fabric store, mainly so that if I needed more (which I did) or a quick repair or whatever, I know where to run and get it in a hurry. I (OK, my wife) sewed the two lengths together length wise, and then sewed pockets around the edge to slide the PVC through. We ended up around 8 X 12. To get the size right, I put the frame together, and then layed out the fabric once it was sewn togther. Then we folded the sides over the frame to make about a two inch pocket and marked all the corners in about another half inch to make it tight. The we picked it up and pinned the pockets and sewed again.
this really tightens up the frame when fully assembled.

If the neighbors don't think you're working on a sail, you're not doing it right!

Good luck,
Tom     
tartag

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2006, 10:21:19 am »

Tom-

Great response thanks.  It begs the big question... What of the seam? is it noticable running down the center I assume?

tartag
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2006, 10:36:23 am »

The seam is virtually invisible during a movie. The only time I've noticed it, and it's only been two or three times, is when the scene is VERY bright and there is no action and your eyes are focused right in the middle of the screen. The few times I have noticed it has been when there is dialog and the camera doens't move, and the person speaking is centered and your eyes focus right in the center of the screen. As soon as the camera or person moves, you stop noticing it. After that , you have to try REALLY hard to find it.

Ever been to a drive-in? Those screens are usually masses of 4X8 sheets of plywood painted white and once the movie starts you never notice it. And I guarantee the seam in the fabric is WAY smaller than the gap in the drive-in screens.

Tom 
tartag

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2006, 10:41:44 am »

Tom- I absolutley subscribe to the "it aint about P&S quality."  though my current solution in a drop cloth has a seam my audience doesn't seem to notice or mind I find myself saying "if only I could get rid of the seam" I am sure if I go witht the Dazien I'll say, "if only i went bigger!"

thanks again,
tartag
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2006, 12:44:09 pm »

It's always something!

Tom
kelemvor
Offline Posts: 1377

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 07:25:30 pm »

In case you don't get notified when you get a PM, I just sent you one.  Wondering what you did at the areas where you nothced out the pockets to keep them from fraying and such....

tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 01:00:12 pm »

I replied via PM (hope it wasn't too late) but it occurred to me that since you asked here, I reply for the benfit other who might read it....

Basically, I just cut the notches and prayed. So far, so good.

I left maybe a quarter inch or so from the seam. What we did was sewed all four sides edge to edge and then cut the corners to open up the pockets. This DOES mean that you have to cut off the seams at the corners.

Maybe a little diagram would help. The diagram is not to scale but you should get the idea. You can see that in the corners you need to cut away the seams. My wife added a few diagonal stitches across the corners of the notches for a little extra strength, but that's it.

Good luck,
Tom

* screen_notches.JPG (20.92 KB, 679x384 - viewed 3096 times.)

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: