Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
72 Guests, 1 User
Oldalgebra
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 06:21:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 02:31:51 am]

[Yesterday at 11:22:34 pm]

[Yesterday at 08:22:14 pm]

[Yesterday at 06:31:42 pm]

[Yesterday at 11:55:21 am]

[July 20, 2014, 02:10:18 am]

[July 19, 2014, 09:24:49 am]

[July 18, 2014, 01:48:53 pm]

[July 18, 2014, 01:39:31 pm]

[July 18, 2014, 10:16:12 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pyramid Pyro Theaters  (Read 26528 times)
PyramidPyro
Offline Posts: 555

Burn, baby, burn!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2008, 03:01:25 am »

So after countless nights awake mapping out designs in PowerPoint, and revision after revision of Excel calculations it is finally done............ we had our first test run tonight.  Pyramid Pyro Theaters is open for business!

I wanted to construct a screen out of PVC that would be temporary and be possible to transport if need be.  It would have to accommodate the walkway in front of our townhouse. I decided to go with a screen wrapped in a tarp for a clean edge where the image could bleed over the borders.  The screen would then be elevated on a base.  Except for two PVC sticks and the fittings, there are only 2 pipe lengths to consider (no need for color coding or instructions).

Projector:  Epson 77c
This is a great projector.  I got it dialed in and it is everything I need right now.  Great fun indoors, and now outside.

Screen:  12.5' X 7.0'.  Again, the tarp wraps around the edges for an "infinity pool" look where the image can bleed over.  I used 1" PVC all around and now realize that may have been a bit light for this application.  That's OK though, it held up and makes for easier storage.

Base:  The base is 4' wide, 3.5' deep, and 3.5' high.  It gets things up and off the ground to project over viewers.  You'll see in the pics that the only thing holding the screen to it is 2 pieces of 2" PVC.  Therefore, I made sure to take extra measures to secure everything with ratchet ties.

Sound:  DVD to boombox that has a 1/8" jack.  Works great.

Overall:  I had this baby set up in 1 hour.  Once things got dark, it looked great.  Everyone tripped out.  We watched "Cars" and "Chris Farley - SNL" with some neigbors and family.  It held up well with only a slight breeze.  I will probably duplicate what I did in terms of anchoring, but refine it a bit so that I don't pull it so far out of whack.  I will say though that the tarp from TarpsPlus was a nightmare at first.  Ratcheting the X and Y axis to get started was a bad idea as I busted a grommet, but even the bungeed ones seem weak.  Thankfully I had tarp clips as backups.  And it was very dirty.  Wrinkles didn't matter as they came right out.  The seam wasn't a big deal.  You could notice it in bright spots, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

The first offcial movie party should be net week.  Good times...........

Thanks,

Erik

* IMG_2649.jpg (46.62 KB, 525x700 - viewed 1412 times.)

* IMG_2650.jpg (63.09 KB, 525x700 - viewed 1855 times.)

* IMG_2651.jpg (53.97 KB, 700x525 - viewed 1058 times.)

* IMG_2652.jpg (39.16 KB, 700x525 - viewed 957 times.)

* IMG_2656.jpg (52.19 KB, 525x700 - viewed 1569 times.)

* IMG_2659.jpg (32.66 KB, 525x700 - viewed 3604 times.)

www.PyramidPyro.com  .......because it's unnecessary and totally ridiculous.  That's why! - Ventura County Backyard Theater
matt314159
Offline Posts: 1075

8/28/10 - Season Closed

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 04:23:45 am »

Nice job pyro!

I don't remember if I mentioned it in my thread, but my dad and I busted not one but THREE gromets out of the side of this 10x16 tarp.  We were just testing to see how many wrinkles we could get out by tensioning it with bungees, but holding one side, while the other side was held to the ground with a chain going around the tires of our car...we got too carried away and they tore right out. 

So we went to harbor freight and got a tarp repair kit for like 8 bucks, which comes with a hole punch tool, 100 gromets, and the applicator tool, and we replaced the gromets and added additional gromets on the top and sides of the tarp.  One extra gromet in between each existing gromet.

The logic behind this is that as more gromets and bungees are added, the less tension each gromet individually has to bear.  And, the closer they are for my application, the fewer sags and wrinkles we get because of the tight, even spacing. 

Great job man, glad you got everythig up and running! 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 04:26:16 am by matt314159 » Logged
aleuni
Offline Posts: 854

Our Theater, Your Yard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 01:37:31 pm »

Just throwing this out there.  I posted this image up in another thread but after reading the tarp talk I remember about the top part of my image.

THis is specifically for tacking up a canvas for painting/backdrop.  But it may translate over for tarp attachment with minimal wrinkles
We were just testing to see how many wrinkles we could get out by tensioning it with bungees, but holding one side, while the other side was held to the ground with a chain going around the tires of our car...we got too carried away and they tore right out. 

Good job Tool Time TIm...a steam roller would have been easier Grin

* index.jpg (123.32 KB, 765x1231 - viewed 1218 times.)

Alex
www.fatscreens.com
"No idea is a good idea, until it is your idea"
matt314159
Offline Posts: 1075

8/28/10 - Season Closed

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 01:50:04 pm »

Just throwing this out there.  I posted this image up in another thread but after reading the tarp talk I remember about the top part of my image.

THis is specifically for tacking up a canvas for painting/backdrop.  But it may translate over for tarp attachment with minimal wrinkles
We were just testing to see how many wrinkles we could get out by tensioning it with bungees, but holding one side, while the other side was held to the ground with a chain going around the tires of our car...we got too carried away and they tore right out. 

Good job Tool Time TIm...a steam roller would have been easier Grin

hahahahahah! Yeah it was a total "home improvement" moment, to be sure!@
PyramidPyro

Burn, baby, burn!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 11:39:54 am »

Ha, I did that order of tacking in almost-perfect reverse order.

The Tool Time reference is killing me.  Classic!

On Sunday, I broke down the base to flat pieces.  Now everything is in my garage on one wall ready for Friday.  I can even get my car back in the garage without bumping anything.  Just don't ask me for anything that is on the east wall.

Thanks,

Erik

www.PyramidPyro.com  .......because it's unnecessary and totally ridiculous.  That's why! - Ventura County Backyard Theater
dorsalfin
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:13:14 pm »

Man are we missing something ,at this rate we all need to get on e-trade and get stock in PVC.
I will try to find my first screen build I thought I used alot of pvc mine was a monster I went nutts but the wind gave me heck.
And I was always alone for set up so old me went inflatble lol the screen did not me hehe.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         Looks realy coollllllllllllllllllll  you did a good job let the funnnnnnnn begain

Dorsalfin
PyramidPyro

Burn, baby, burn!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 04:43:29 pm »

Here is a time lapse video I did of the setup.......

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/F5v_-f1Ec4s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/F5v_-f1Ec4s</a>
Good times..........

Erik
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 04:45:40 pm by PyramidPyro » Logged

movielover
Offline Posts: 2270

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 04:57:28 pm »

nice !!
i used to move that fast until i turned 50  Sad

Kladder Station Classic Movies - Drive-In & Outdoor Theater
TexCaboCat
Offline Posts: 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 05:19:49 pm »

Great job!!!