Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
84 Guests, 2 Users
Garp, cecilb
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 11:46:01 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
by Garp
[Today at 11:38:37 am]

[Today at 11:35:48 am]

[Today at 09:15:06 am]

[Today at 01:50:04 am]

[Today at 12:33:44 am]

[Yesterday at 12:21:20 am]

[July 27, 2014, 03:53:38 pm]

[July 27, 2014, 01:47:47 am]

[July 26, 2014, 05:02:08 pm]

[July 25, 2014, 06:35:15 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DeckOPlex -PICS!!!!  (Read 47387 times)
BYTBliss
Offline Posts: 19

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2008, 04:55:05 pm »

Hello Everyone!

First of all I wish to thank the forum members who have contributed so much time and effort to inform the newbies (i.e. myself!) of this exciting (and addictive) hobby! Without the informative posts contained herein I would still most likely be lost as to how to get my outdoor theater up and running. So I thought I would describe my outdoor theater and how I arrived at epuipment choices.

Also right now I have this setup on my deck but I hope to have a semi-different arrangement for the yard.

Screen choice:

I ended up getting the Gammy inflatable. I wanted the Sima but I was pressed for time and not to mention low on funds so I thought I would just pick that screen up. I am very impressed with the quality of this screen. Also for a sidenote numerous people on here were looking for information on ironing the screen to get rid of the wrinkles. I'm happy to say I did manage to get rid of most using low heat on a carpet under and very slow movement of the iron on the white surface. Too slow and it might melt the material too fast and it doesn't work. It's a fine line!

I do still want the Sima screen for its rear projection capability for the yard. Of course I need to save my pennies for that setup which will be next summer.

Projector choice:

This was a tough one. I wanted a dual purpose projector to serve both outside and in. I wanted something bright with flexible placement options for setup ease. I decided on the Panasonic PT-AX200U. I love this projector! The picture on the Gammy screen is awesome. Now I just need and Stewart screen inside! I wish....)

Audio:

Right now I have Polk outdoor speakers mounted under the eave overlooking the deck. The downside is these speakers are behind the viewing area. I have a Sonos Zonal system and those speakers are one zone. We have a hot tub centered on the deck which has a stereo with subwoofer with popup speakers. There was an auxilliary input on the stereo so I hooked up another Sonos zone player for the tub as well and have the deck speakers and tub linked together. The tub is in front of the viewing area so the audio is both front and rear. I will be able to do a 5.1 using FM transmitters and some old spekers I have lying around but I've found the audio to be more than adequate it's actually great. In the house I have the multi-room out of my Pioneer receiver going to an input of a zoneplayer so that's how the audio is handled.

Sources:

On the other side of the wall of the house where the deck is is the family room and there is an equipment rack right there with the Elite receiver, PS3 and Comcast cable. There is a window right next to the rack so I just run HDMI out to the projector and that's it.

Well it's sunday evening here in New England and I was going to have people over for the Sox Yankees matchup and take pictures of my setup but a squall line of storms and rain is moving through so I apologize for not have any pics to share. I will setup tomorrow night weather permitting so you can check it out!

Thank you for reading! If you have any questions please let me know!
Jeff

* IMG_0885.JPG (811.04 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 7336 times.)

* IMG_0887.JPG (689.02 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 2959 times.)

* IMG_0890.JPG (685.6 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 2531 times.)

* IMG_0892.JPG (666.13 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 2119 times.)

* IMG_0886.JPG (565.21 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 2869 times.)

* IMG_0897.JPG (400.78 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 3952 times.)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:25:54 pm by BYTBliss » Logged
kelemvor
Offline Posts: 1377

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 08:03:11 am »

No pics?

tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:07:53 am »

Welcome!

Sounds like a great start! Glad you did your homework first.

No pics?

Come on, give the guy a break, he just got here. Give him time to do some upgrades first. We all know that will happen soon enough!

Tom
movielover
Offline Posts: 2270

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:23:07 am »

Welcome!

Sounds like a great start! Glad you did your homework first.

No pics?

Come on, give the guy a break, he just got here. Give him time to do some upgrades first. We all know that will happen soon enough!

Tom

i agree give him time... i was here over 6 months before i posted pictures.
i just did a major upgrade (i said i spent my heating oil money for this winter  Sad, i may have to burn the cb screen to keep warm).

Kladder Station Classic Movies - Drive-In & Outdoor Theater
BYTBliss

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:19:08 am »

Sorry for the pics delay! I was just telling the wife last night I have to take some pics! Those outdoor theater nuts crave visuals!

I'm going to setup tonight and take some pictures! I will post just after dark.

The nice thing about this particular setup is how quickly it comes together - the cables are just lying behind the window. I have the bar already in place which the projector sits on the corner of. I have an outlet built into the deck right where the screen goes so total setup takes under ten minutes.

I have to tell the story about my first night with this setup. My birthday is July 3rd and I usually have a 4th party that night so I wanted to "WOW" the crowd of 30 people who were over so being my 40th (ouch!!) I decided to get this screen and projector but they arrived 1 and 2 days before the 3rd so I had no chance to setup for a trial run. The Red Sox and Yankees played that evening so the goal was to have that up on the screen when it was dark enough. So I almost wasn't going to even try because it was overcast and it looked as though it could rain anytime. The game was on inside so diehard fans could watch it. Finally as it was getting darker I checked the radar and no showers anywhere near us so I decided to wing it and setup the screen. You should have seen the guests as I took the screen out and it started inflating! Ok so the screen is up. Now to get the source cable run and figure out where to put the projector. We ended up placing it on it's on box sitting on a chair! Ok now to play with the zoom and lens shift... Ok I had NO experience with projectors before except the night before had the projector in bed shooting at the wall while I held it just because I was dying to see some image out of it! Stop laughing! I know all of you out there probably did something similar! LOL! So when the game came on people were totally blown away. It was standing room only on the deck! I was amazed also. So after the game I put Austin Powers on and we watched all of that plus Ocean's Thirteen. Ok by now it's 2 AM but the remaining guesteds were watching in the hot tub and one person said "well Jeff I gotta tell you, this doesn't suck!" I couldn't have agreed more!

Since that initial setup I've refined the setup a bit. Changed the layout for more seating and easier projector placement.

Ok stay tuned for pics tonight! It's a gorgeous day here in NH so hopefully we don't get any storms. Anyone else reading this from the Northeast? Have you ever seen this many T-storms?

Jeff

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 12:03:34 pm by BYTBliss » Logged
KMac
Offline Posts: 341

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:19:02 pm »

Welcome to the fun, BYTBliss!  As everyone has said, you'll be upgrading in no time!  Don't feel bad about not posting any pictures yet. I've been hanging around this site for nearly 3 years and I have yet to post a picture. (sort of embarassing, to be honest).  When you do decide to upgrade, I might be able to help you out.  I have a Sima screen that I NEVER use. I want to upgrade to a larger screen, so I will be selling it soon(I want to check it out first). Have fun!

(Movielover, you crack me up, spending your heating oil money on upgrades, etc..  Grin)

KMac
movielover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 01:36:10 pm »

Welcome to the fun, BYTBliss!  As everyone has said, you'll be upgrading in no time!  Don't feel bad about not posting any pictures yet. I've been hanging around this site for nearly 3 years and I have yet to post a picture. (sort of embarassing, to be honest).  When you do decide to upgrade, I might be able to help you out.  I have a Sima screen that I NEVER use. I want to upgrade to a larger screen, so I will be selling it soon(I want to check it out first). Have fun!

(Movielover, you crack me up, spending your heating oil money on upgrades, etc..  Grin)

KMac

i'll just pray i sell alot of apple pies before winter  Grin

i thought i was bad, being here for over 6 months and not posting any pictures, you have me beat... you win the prize if there is one for being here that long and not posting any pictures.

BYTBliss

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 01:56:13 pm »

So I guess a couple days late on the pics isn't so bad then? Smiley  KMac what's the problem? JK! LOL

Seriously I don't know how I'm going to stay warm this winter either - maybe I can route the vent of the Panny to my heating ducts. Sorry honey we have to watch the projector to stay alive!  Actually she likes this stuff as much as I do which helps! My mother even loves this setup. She thought I was nuts when I told her what I wanted to do. She is addicted to the old Thin Man movies so I set her up last week with one of those and she hasn't stopped talking about it since...)

mfahnestock
Offline Posts: 21

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 08:15:13 am »

Nice looking pics!  The setup is sweet with the hot tub in the center.  Let the good times roll!
BYTBliss

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 09:11:06 am »

Thank you mfahnestock !!

It's feels good to hear that! I wish I had room for more seating but 17 or so plus 3-5 in the hot tub isn't too bad.

I finally get all of this complete and all I can think about is how to setup this in the yard! Please tell me the obsession ends! My nerves can't take it! It is fun though.

I had an idea for the yard setup and wanted to see if anyone else has tried this and offer any advice...we recently picked up one of those 12 X 12 foot Canopies from Lowes and it it has three height adjustments. The frame isn't the strongest thing but it should be able to support a makeshift projector mount somehow attached to the frame.  If you raise the canopy to it's highest you should be able to mount the projector upside down shooting just below the edge of the actual canopy. The nice thing about that setup is the projector is out of the way, protected from dew and rain and people can sit under the canopy if they want. The canopy was only 130 dollars which isn't bad considering how well this might work. I'm going to setup the canopy this weekend and really look at the frame. I work in a company with a full machine shop so fabricating something shouldn't be difficult. I'll report how it works this weekend....

Thanks again for reading!
BYTBliss

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 10:28:04 am »

Hello Hiredpower - read many of your posts - great reading!

As far as the canopy no it would not have the sidewalls. This is just the open canopy. I was also thinking of only a few sitting under like maybe 5 including myself because I could put the equipment under there also. This canopy would be set pretty far back so it would be to the rear of the seating area. That way the projector is shooting over everyone's heads which would provide a very large viewing cone normally blocked by the projector stand and light cone. Of course it all looks good on paper or in this case in my mind! Doing it always tends to yeild it's own set of unforeseen issues!

Thank you for the input! I guess the only question now is am I Tyrone or Pablo!:))
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:20:32 pm by BYTBliss » Logged
timtimes
Offline Posts: 434

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 11:02:38 am »

Nice setup.  Bet that hot tub comes in handy up north!  I surrounded my outdoor theater with a nice terraced deck as well.  Finally got around to building a permanent mounting shelf for my PJ but haven't hard wired the power and a/v cables yet.   

Enjoy.

Mom always told me I was special and I believed her.
movielover

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 11:05:28 am »

very nice, i love the hot tub and tiered deck, makes a nice viewing area.

BYTBliss

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 11:13:36 am »

Thank you timtimes, movielover and hiredpower!

Yes projector placement seems to be one of the trickier aspects. I am at the very top of the vertical lens shift adjustment and even though it makes it I don't like being that close to the range. I could put the PJ on the top of the bar but it looks cleaner and is out of the way being on that upper shelf.

On a sidenote that last pic of Nemo looks washed out because it was still pretty light out. As it darkens it's amazing how the picture just seems to pop.

I have the tub at 99 so we can stay in it longer to watch stuff. 103 - 104 is just too hot. Nice thing about living up here is that even on the hottest days it usually cools down at night to the point where the tub could be used.

Thank you again for the compliments! It's nice to hear!

« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 11:58:52 am by BYTBliss » Logged
BYTBliss

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 11:17:04 am »

Just an off topic might be of interest to someone but if you look at the side view the upper portion of the deck actually has a fully framed room under. The upper deck is a floating deck built on a rubber roof. The room is pretty large and is my shed. Put the double doors in to get the mower in there! works out well! Yes I will be paying for it for a LONG time! Sad

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: