Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
73 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 09:51:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:35:52 pm]

[Yesterday at 03:36:26 pm]

[Yesterday at 10:49:24 am]

[October 29, 2014, 12:48:55 am]

[October 29, 2014, 12:22:27 am]

[October 27, 2014, 03:36:49 pm]

[October 25, 2014, 10:23:23 am]

[October 23, 2014, 11:04:45 pm]

[October 22, 2014, 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JIM'S Backyard Theater "Debut"  (Read 66786 times)
Jims BYT
Offline Posts: 28

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2008, 01:58:40 am »

Hi to Everyone!

I have been dreaming of setting up a backyard theater for the past few years and my wife and friends all thought the idea and "I" were crazy.  I have two handsome boys ( 4 and 7 yrs old) who I wanted to experience similar memories as I had as a child going to the outdoor drive-ins with my parents.  Once I found this site last winter I realized I was not crazy and set out to accomplish my goal.  I spent probably hundreds of hours reading these forums formulating my ideal setup and feel that although I have never met any of you, that I have many new friends that share a common dream.  THANK YOU ALL!

Well, my BYT was informally commissioned on July 26, 2008 with a gathering of just a few friends.  I have had about 4 showings in total since and everyone is very impressed and the kids are well on their way to amassing a treasure chest of memories to cherish in their hearts and stories which they can share with their own children someday.

Finally, I would like share with you my setup which is a compilation of ideas I got from this site and my own designs and modifications.  The screen is an approx. 10' x 18' (16x9) Creative Shelters 1" EMT frame with Dazian Trapeze Hvy Wgt frabic.  My yard slopes in two directions and so I had to modify the standard kit to include an adjustable base which I could effectively level.  I also designed a pivoting system for the front three leg supports which are securely attached  to 6" dia concrete footings.  This makes it very easy to attach the screen on the ground and then rotate the structure up.  I use ropes on the backside to secure it from tipping over in high wind, however I also have "piece of mind" that if the ropes fail ( which did happen in a very strong storm cell)  the screen just rotates down to the ground instead of ending up in my kitchen.  When I disassemble the frame the front spherical-joint extensions lower into the ground and are housed by standard sprinkler system valve box covers.  With the extension legs the bottom of the screen sits about 5 - 6 ft off the ground, but because my yard slopes up to the projector and sitting area it is perfect height for viewing.

* Screen 1.jpg (278.03 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 1370 times.)

* Screen 2.jpg (262.83 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 1242 times.)

* Screen 3.jpg (366.65 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 1162 times.)

* Screen 4.jpg (325.89 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 913 times.)

* Screen 5.jpg (260.82 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 946 times.)

* Screen 6.jpg (355.78 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 988 times.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:09:03 am by Jims BYT » Logged
Jims BYT

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 02:07:43 am »

Here are a few pictures of my entire setup.  As you may tell I did use Photoshop to make some touch-ups since my photoshop skills are better than my photography skills.  I wanted to post some pictures a month ago but find it very difficult to get a good picture of the screen at night.

My other project was to build a custom A/V rack on a mobile base.  I will post the details of this under a new post.

http://backyardtheater.com/forums/index.php?topic=2996.0

* Night Shot.jpg (137.83 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 2564 times.)

* Layout 1.jpg (285.27 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 882 times.)

* Jims BYT2.jpg (467.5 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 2106 times.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 03:18:24 am by Jims BYT » Logged
Sparge
Offline Posts: 2858

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 08:44:10 am »

Jim,

Great job!  That's quite an impressive set up and a nice adaptation of the Creative Shelters (CS) design.

I've been kicking around the idea of putting concrete footers in a spot at my home and my parent's home for semi-permanent installations at both locations.  I thought about using those articulated fittings from CS for a pivot system but the one you designed looks much more robust.  Can you give some more specifics about those front pivots?  Maybe some additional close up pics, too?

I realize the front legs support a lot of the screen's weight, but are you worried at all about shearing those 1/4" bolts in the CS articulated fittings on the rear legs?  That was my worry about using those fittings as a pivot system.  Perhaps with those honking pivots in the front it's less of a concern.

-Sparge-
Jims BYT

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 09:11:38 am »

Jim,

Great job!  That's quite an impressive set up and a nice adaptation of the Creative Shelters (CS) design.

I've been kicking around the idea of putting concrete footers in a spot at my home and my parent's home for semi-permanent installations at both locations.  I thought about using those articulated fittings from CS for a pivot system but the one you designed looks much more robust.  Can you give some more specifics about those front pivots?  Maybe some additional close up pics, too?

I realize the front legs support a lot of the screen's weight, but are you worried at all about shearing those 1/4" bolts in the CS articulated fittings on the rear legs?  That was my worry about using those fittings as a pivot system.  Perhaps with those honking pivots in the front it's less of a concern.

-Sparge-

Hey Sparge,  I will post some more information on this set-up when I get some more time to coordinate.  As far as the front pivot Rod-Eyes, they are rated at 3,000 lbs each (No problem there)  and if you look closely I use guide ropes which attach to the upper frame so that I don't have to worry about the back fittings slipping apart under a strong wind.

I have gone through several anchor methods for the stakes holding the ropes down since the ground is very soft because of the very wet summer we've had and those $%@!&* MOLES.   I have had the screen pull several stakes right out of the ground when I left the screen up over night and had strong storm cells roll through the next morning.  I am currently using 3' - 4' -  1/2" Iron pipes as stakes and so far its holding.
cecilb
Offline Posts: 2051

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 09:21:17 am »

Wow.............!

What's setup time?

Neighbors cool?

seating for 1,000........... 12 at a time
Jims BYT

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 09:40:51 am »

Wow.............!

What's setup time?

The setup time for the audio gear is about 1 hour by myself.  That includes a process which I go through to calibrate the pressure field from all five speakers using a sound meter. 

I was dismantling the frame after each movie at the beginning but I have left it up during the last 6 weeks although I take the Trapeze fabric off after each movie.  So the mounting of the fabric only takes about 15 - 20 minutes.   The nice thing about pinning the front legs is that I can lower the frame by myself and raise it alone without the screen on it.  I only need help to raise it with the screen attached because I can't stand in the middle.

Wow.............!

Neighbors cool?

My neighbor is a younger couple with 3 boys about the same age as mine.  They have not complained... knock on wood!... however He is a major Pyro freak and sets off fireworks several days a week from about May - August until he runs out and its illegal here in Mass so he knows I have leverage on him if he decides to squawk.  Unfortunately, they are the type of parents that must have their kids (3 and 7 yrs) in bed by 8:00 pm even through the summer and so have never let their son who plays with my 7 yr old come to watch a movie.  Oh well, their LOSS!

I did read all of DANO's "Devil"  posts early this spring and was very concerned about my potentially looming problem but so far the "Devil" must be to busy with DANO.  (Sorry DANO )
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 09:44:33 am »

Hey Sparge,  I will post some more information on this set-up when I get some more time to coordinate.  As far as the front pivot Rod-Eyes, they are rated at 3,000 lbs each (No problem there)  and if you look closely I use guide ropes which attach to the upper frame so that I don't have to worry about the back fittings slipping apart under a strong wind.

I have gone through several anchor methods for the stakes holding the ropes down since the ground is very soft because of the very wet summer we've had and those $%@!&* MOLES.   I have had the screen pull several stakes right out of the ground when I left the screen up over night and had strong storm cells roll through the next morning.  I am currently using 3' - 4' -  1/2" Iron pipes as stakes and so far its holding.

I look forward to the additional info on your cool pivot system!

I've attached some pics of those claw anchors sold by CS.  I use a pair of those along with ratchet straps as front tie downs.  They're extremely strong and hold the ground well.  I imagine these claws work best when being pulled straight or nearly straight up.  I'm not sure how well they'd work with an angular force of a long guide rope.  I suppose orientation of the three arms would become more critical.

-Sparge-

* claw_01_lowres.jpg (149.61 KB, 512x683 - viewed 883 times.)

* claw_02_lowres.jpg (194.68 KB, 683x512 - viewed 872 times.)
Jims BYT

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 12:07:59 pm »

.....Can you give some more specifics about those front pivots?  Maybe some additional close up pics, too?

-Sparge-

Here are some sketches of the extension legs with swivel joints.  The set-up works very well and with this set-up I can remove the custom legs and install straight legs with foot pads in the front and rear so that it can be set up on a flat surface or on pavement.  I built it with this in mind because I would like to take it on the road for off-site showings.

P.S.

In the photo it looks like the extension is leaning but it is perfectly level, it was me that was leaning when I took the picture!

* DSC03399.jpg (124.67 KB, 640x480 - viewed 766 times.)

* In Ground Extensions.jpg (278.22 KB, 1700x2156 - viewed 884 times.)

* In Ground Extensions Details.jpg (171.77 KB, 1694x1883 - viewed 751 times.)

* Custom Extensions Weld Details.jpg (467.05 KB, 1700x2202 - viewed 723 times.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 12:10:26 pm by Jims BYT » Logged
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 09:29:06 pm »

Here are some sketches of the extension legs with swivel joints.

Wow!  Please tell me you already had these sketches drawn up.  Regardless, thanks a bunch.

-Sparge-
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 10:52:04 pm »

What a great bunch of engineering, Jim!  From the heim joints on the front of the screen stand to the sliding connections on the rear. 

And that rack! <drool>

Thanks for posting your great example in so much detail.

Have a blast!

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

deman_3000
Offline Posts: 111

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 12:30:40 am »

By far my favorite screen yet.
KMac
Offline Posts: 341

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 02:03:02 am »

Awesome screen! Smiley

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up