Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
54 Guests, 2 Users
OutdoorGeek, everette
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 11:50:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 10:11:00 pm]

[Today at 08:55:53 pm]

[Today at 06:31:51 pm]

[Today at 02:45:16 pm]

[Today at 01:30:27 pm]

[Today at 10:42:35 am]

[Today at 08:35:55 am]

[Today at 08:32:38 am]

[Yesterday at 02:21:23 pm]

[Yesterday at 07:03:26 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 220" Theater in Charlotte, NC  (Read 98001 times)
ThatDJTroy
Offline Posts: 69

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2006, 02:02:42 pm »

I thought I was the only 'creative' (rather, crazy) individual to set up a movie theater outside! But I found this website and now realize I'm NOT so crazy after all. Grin
It started after our vacation to Key West where we watched King Kong outdoors at a bar. Once home, we planned to watch the video footage I shot the following weekend with friends. I noted how neat it would be to view it outdoors in our humid climate to imitate the visit. And the idea snowballed from there! I only had one week to pull the whole thing together though.
--As another member posted, my idea did NOT have my better half's approval!--
I researched on-line to find movie screen cloth, and how to build an outdoor screen. I wanted ours to be no smaller than 18 feet long. I found some good suggestions, but not many affordable options. (I had not yet found this website.) Next, I visited a craft store with a limited fabric section. A sales associate recommended I use curtain lining. But their largest width was 54" and there would be three seams in my screen. We don't own a sewing machine, so back to the drawing board.
Next, I contacted a HUGE cloth store in our area www.maryjos.com and spoke with the most helpful associate ever! She snubbed curtain lining for the screen, and recommended "Mummy's Cloth" instead. The smallest width she had was 114". This was perfect -there would be no seams! Cost with tax for six yards - $46.80
I'm fortunate to already have posts mounted to support the screen -they're called pine trees! Ours and both adjoining neighbors' property is a hill with three rows of them. Behind that is all woods. Two pine trees are exactly parallel, 18 feet apart, with two pines in the middle of them. These four chosen trees are directly opposite our covered patio (my sanctuary). We already had outdoor speakers installed.
I purchased two 10-foot, 2-inch PVC pipes for the top, and two 1-inch PVC pipes for the bottom (weight). I mounted heavy curtain hanger rods to the end trees. (Temporarily) I'm using bungee cords in the two middle trees for the middle support. Originally I secured the cloth on the pipes with duct tape. (BAD IDEA!)
In the early evening of our premiere, a bad thunderstorm came up. Only this thunderstorm didn’t blow over in a few minutes, it parked itself over our residence! Eventually it rained itself to a sprinkle, but not before postponing our cookout AND soaking the movie screen! Our friend had brought his projector. He adjusted the picture to fit the screen while we were getting our drinks ready. Suddenly, the screen fell because of the extreme weight of the soaked material. This is why duct tape is a BAD idea!  Roll Eyes If I hadn’t seen that chapter selection image projected so huge just moments earlier, I would have called the whole thing off. Everything had gone wrong!
After my distressful meltdown, I proceeded to re-hang the now muddy, water-laden bulk of material! Four other friends jumped in to help. Our only recourse was to pin it up with the only thing we could find –four small safety pins. I was certain they wouldn’t support the weight and it would rip and fall. But it didn’t! Aside from three huge wrinkles down the screen, and having to cram everyone on the patio because of the sprinkles, everyone raved over the idea and how much fun they had!
During the next week, I washed the muddy cloth back to its original condition. That weekend, my mother-in-law and her sister came to visit. Since the premiere didn’t go like planned, I hoped the second attempt would work better. This time I safety-pinned the screen to the pipes; twelve on top and eight on the bottom. Again, we invited our friend with the projector. Except for some sound issues (later found as the “wide surround” setting on my DVD player), that night was perfect! Grace and Dorothy both commented to us and their husbands how much they enjoyed the event. Additionally, my neighbors and their kids think the “big screen” is the coolest thing they’ve ever seen.
Since it was proven our outdoor theater was a hit, it was time to consider getting our own projector. Our first two showings were a bit dim. But I attributed that to the distance we were projecting (about 45 feet). I called my friend to get the specs of his projector. It was then I learned he brought his older Epson unit (model 45N?) with ONLY 800 LUMENS, and already past the bulb life! We’ve seen movies (in their home) with his Optoma EP 719 unit and were amazed. Since I had seen what the Epson did in our back yard, ANYTHING had to be better! The timing was also fortunate –it was July 4th weekend, and Circuit City was having a sale. I purchased an Optoma EP 716 for $599 (web special).
My better half and I have had two movie nights since. The picture is phenomenal, especially using the component video jacks! I’m SOOOO hooked!  Now I’m debating 5.1 surround on the patio....  Honey?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 08:56:52 pm by ThatDJTroy » Logged
kelemvor
Offline Posts: 1377

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 03:58:31 pm »

Pics! Pics! Pics!

tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 04:07:19 pm »

Welcome!

I'm NOT so crazy after all.

Oh yes you are! We all are once we get into this madness!

So, is your wife now a convert also?

They always seem to come around.

Tom
ThatDJTroy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 04:50:18 pm »

Sorry for the poor pic quality of the screen. I took the pic with my phone. Our dog George is sitting about five feet in front of it.

Oh and yes! The better half has been converted!   Cheesy

More pics to come after this weekend's showing...

* screen w-george.jpg (58.78 KB, 640x480 - viewed 4633 times.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2006, 02:50:59 pm by ThatDJTroy » Logged
Cinema BBQ
Offline Posts: 37

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 06:11:38 pm »

Great set up. I like the use of trees. George did a great job sitting for the pic.
ThatDJTroy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 12:20:22 pm »

My partner wasn't too pleased to read I'm considering 5.1. I was told: "No! The sound is fine just like it is! If you want to improve something, work on the screen."  Should I break out the old Sony unit for tonight's showing? decisions...decisions... Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 05:34:17 pm by ThatDJTroy » Logged
Cherry Hills
Offline Posts: 1181

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 01:16:48 pm »

Sounds like your audience has spoken. Work on the screen first, then the surround later.

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
ThatDJTroy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 05:17:02 pm »

Pre-Show Screen and Seating

* ps-screen.jpg (129.04 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2070 times.)

* ps-screen2.jpg (99.83 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1681 times.)

* ps-seating.jpg (87.38 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1557 times.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 05:18:45 pm by ThatDJTroy » Logged
ThatDJTroy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 11:11:40 am »

All went well last night Cheesy We watched The Color Purple and 9 to 5. I was concerned about my screen during the first movie. Winds from a nearby storm kicked up, but only caused a few wrinkles. I'm sure I'm the only one who noticed.

Below are pics of the screen from my seat and up close.

* audience.jpg (72.82 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1610 times.)

* cpurple.jpg (26.06 KB, 640x480 - viewed 2021 times.)

* 9to5.jpg (44.89 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1955 times.)

* 9to5-3.jpg (42.19 KB, 640x480 - viewed 1675 times.)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 11:40:57 am by ThatDJTroy » Logged
cheftom
Offline Posts: 247

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 03:47:32 am »

Looks like a fun night of movies and star gazing. 

Dolly Parton is always "best" on a BIG screen.... lol

When Excellence is Available, Good is Not Enough
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2403

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2006, 09:46:05 am »

Welcome Troy!  (making an assumption here)

Cool setup.  Nothing like having nice solid screen towers pre-built into your backyard! 

Sound is a big deal for me.  Obviously video size and quality is too, but I’m a former audiophile.  I love surround outdoors in most any format.  It’s so cool when it mixes with the ambient noises outdoors and people can’t tell what’s in the movie and what’s real.  I’ve heard people on the deck say “Is it raining? and , "I thought that was a real dog barking over there..."

Thanks for posting and adding your great photos!  Looks like you’re having a blast.

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

ThatDJTroy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2006, 10:33:01 am »

Randy,
Your assumption is correct - I'm Troy  Smiley
It's funny you mentioned the outdoor ambience. Even though I don't have surround sound (yet), one of our guests kept asking - "Is that your wind chimes, or are they in the movie?"
ThatDJTroy

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 08:20:19 pm »

Friday, 8/4 is our next showing. We're spreading the word now, and anticipating a larger crowd. And with the larger crowd, I'm going to have to have sound in the yard, behind the screen! No, the better half is not yet aware, but I have already gotten my neighbor's blessing  Cheesy
Thanks to Pass_the_Off for your post on speaker gauge/db loss/power loss in another thread.
-Troy

*Our BYT is now: Sunset Bijou at Fox Glen
« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 01:31:54 pm by ThatDJTroy » Logged
Emperor PalpaTim
Offline Posts: 48

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 10:26:39 pm »

Congrats on the new setup, Troy!  Once you start down the backyard theater path, forever will it dominate your destiny. 

Why do I always start sounding like Yoda when talking about backyard theater setups...

...and after a few martinis.  Grin

How many lumens on the new projector?  The picture looks great! 

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: