If you saw our original post you know we went with a pretty simple set-up for our first BYT. Once we decided to pursue our original vision of a large screen over the pool I spent about a week on this website asking questions and stealing ideas. I spent this last weekend building our new frame and have attached some pics. Although the new set-up is not very complex, it's definitley more impressive. Here are the stats:
1) 15' x 8' vinyl screen (won't be ready until mid-week but I'll post pics when I get it).
2) The frame is made of 1 1/2'' PVC.
3) The outside supports slide into 2'' PVC sleeves that are buried in concrete 20'' in the ground. Portability was a must because we didn't want this screen up permanently. It's an easy lift to get it up out of the ground and to the side of my house where it's stored.
4) I decided to go with tent-style guide ropes for stability but because of the pool I didn't have much room for the forward supports. What I did was make the middle rear support too tall and as a result it pushes the whole frame forward. When I pull the ropes that are attached to the top back towards the fence it straightens the frame out perfectly and I still have the tension applied to the front and to the rear. The ropes are fed through eyebolts that are screwed in to the fence at eye-level and then go down to ankle-level where they are simply wrapped around rope cleats several times with no knots necessary. This design takes the tension away from the fence horizontally (where it is less sturdy) and places it on the fence vertically (where it is obviously much more sturdy).
That's all for now... oh, yeah and my wife bought a popcorn machine online last night!!!