Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
61 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 08:27:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 05:39:54 pm]

[Today at 07:06:53 am]

[Today at 07:00:23 am]

[Today at 06:56:26 am]

[Today at 02:00:40 am]

[September 13, 2014, 05:19:33 pm]

[September 13, 2014, 02:27:59 am]

[September 12, 2014, 10:52:45 pm]

[September 12, 2014, 09:08:53 am]

[September 11, 2014, 09:15:17 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Phoenix Backyard Cinema - with pics  (Read 21751 times)
krzysztof
Offline Posts: 1

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2009, 03:17:14 pm »

Wow, I'm really glad I found this site.  Actually, I wish I had found it sooner, I'm sure it would have been a great resource for ideas.

I live in Phoenix, AZ and it's always been my dream to own an independent cinema.  This may be closest I ever get, but I'm really happy with it.

I wanted to share my own backyard cinema project.  I have to admit, part of the reason I settled on the house I bought was because of the movie potential in the back yard.  The garage is detached, and the wall happens to be almost exactly in the 2.35:1 ratio. 

The first screen I made was really cheap and simple.  It was basically a large sheet of paper edged with duct tape.  The idea at the time was to be able to remove the screen and store it in the garage.  But, being paper, it wasn't sturdy enough to move very often and after a couple months started to crease and tear.

I investigated those inflatable screens but I wasn't too keen on spending over $600 on it, especially after I heard that the pump was continuous airflow and made noise.

So my friend said "What about drywall?"  Seemed like a little bit of a risk because neither of us had done drywall before.  And I knew that would make it hard to move.  So we ended up with a permanent addition to the back yard.

What I like about the design is that it's capable of masking for 16x9 or 4x3 using panels that we slide in behind the frame.  I'm really happy with the result.

Check out the pics:

This is the before pic.  Kind of nasty looking, but can you see the potential?

And the finished result:
This was built with 2x4s, drywall and paint. I doubt we spent more than $300. 

16x9:

The best seat in the house. Needs some grass though.

Size reference:

Speaker setup. 

We have 5.1 surround.  Rear speakers are on small tables and front speakers in front of the screen.

Custom built rack.  We can adjust the shelves and go higher with the projector if needed.
From top to bottom that's 1) Projector 2) Playstation 3 (with Blu-Ray player) 3.) Receiver  4.) Amplifier 5.) Woofer

The projector.

Here's a flyer from the last event;

A link to the myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/phxbackyardcinema
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 03:40:00 pm by krzysztof » Logged
movielover
Offline Posts: 2270

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 03:48:37 pm »

the screen is really nice looking.
i love to see the black border on screens and being able to mask it makes it all the more impressive.

it looks great attached to the garage wall and you'll get some protection from the elements with the overhang.

the rack is good looking also, who needs those expensive metal racks when wood will do the job... sorry i do not mean to insult anyone who has those expensive metal racks like sparge and the others... i'm cheap  Grin

Kladder Station Classic Movies - Drive-In & Outdoor Theater
tscoff
Offline Posts: 840

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 04:07:21 pm »

I think that's one of the nicest outdoor screens that I've seen because of the masking.  Great job!

RoseRanch
Offline Posts: 370

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 11:24:40 am »

This is such a beautiful screen and setup!  I love the logical placement and screen border.  And the graphics for your announcement is just perfect.  Very cool!  The grass is still patchy in my back yard too, but it looks great when it's really dark outside!  Wink  Enjoy the season.
matt314159
Offline Posts: 1075

8/28/10 - Season Closed

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 09:07:16 pm »

that border and the ability to mask for different aspect ratios is genius!  I too saw the potential for that garage wall!  Great to have you here, and nice setup!
bmac
Offline Posts: 1334

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009, 10:04:54 pm »

Add one more to the list of impressed folks.

I am curious about  how the drywall will hold up to the elements over time.  Please keep us posted.

Very, very nice installation.
victor-eyd
Offline Posts: 1040

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009, 10:11:28 pm »

Wow! Awesome screen and great job on your theater. How will you protect the drywall when it rains?

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
hiredpower
Offline Posts: 394

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 05:24:02 am »

Welcome krzysztof,

Thanks for sharing your screen design.

I really like your foresight to incorporate adjustable shelves on your rack.

Believe in Hired Power Entertainment

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: