Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
76 Guests, 1 User
Garp
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 01:30:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:00:39 am]

[October 19, 2014, 01:52:21 pm]

[October 19, 2014, 01:43:09 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 12:19:06 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 11:56:27 am]

[October 14, 2014, 09:07:45 pm]

[October 14, 2014, 09:05:49 pm]

[October 14, 2014, 02:36:24 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new setup  (Read 97541 times)
gdmanry
Offline Posts: 90

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2006, 06:22:56 pm »

Well, if you remember back in May I setup the first backyard theatre in the backyard over the pool.  The original setup was below with the swing arm over the pool.  Although that worked pretty well, it wasn't really the way I wanted it to look, plus having to swing it back and forth to adjust the focus ring was a pain.

Anyway, after a month or so I had a movie party and we ended up staying out pretty late watching concert videos of AC/DC, Judas Priest, etc and by the time we knew it it was 3AM which is late for me.  As people were leaving I unhooked the cables from the pj and grabbed it out of the box to take inside when it slipped from my hands.  After hitting the concrete it took a big bounce and of course went right in the pool.  As it turns out it was the concrete more than the water that caused the damage as it cracked the PS for a tune of $250,  Needless to say I chose not to have it repaired and chose to find a better pj that could throw the entire 45' across the pool.  I knew the screen would have to be bigger, but so be it.....RIGHT? 

Anyway, long story short I decided I wanted something that was safe, more permanent, and easy to watch just like a regular TV in your house.  Here is what I came up with.  The pj sits on a watertight wooden cabinet that holds the electronics and throws to the pool on a 25 X 15 screen, or at least close to the that.  The cabinet has a top that I can put over the projector, if I like that, will keep it safe from the elements if need be.  I don't plan to leave it out much, but it could come in handy on those late nights when you just don't feel like bringing it in.

I mainly use it now for sports in HD, but  also use it for the XBOX, movies, internet, etc.  I have posted a link so I could post more pics, and I hope everyone likes it.

If it wasn't for you guys, and this board, I'd still be sitting in the LR watching it on a 52" "BIG" screen.  This board rocks and I thank everyone who helped me make this thing happen.

Here's the link

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=14daxmth.3eoasy8d&Uy=lqzchs&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0

gdm

* screen.jpg (54.82 KB, 200x133 - viewed 19274 times.)
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 10:32:59 pm »

Looks great gdm!  OK, put a big floatie on that equipment cabinet just in case!

Seriously, sorry to hear about your projector.  Great progress here, though.  I wish I had a pool to drop my projector into...

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

gdmanry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 12:47:57 pm »

Thanks!  I'm pretty much done except I have found that the Trapeze fabric does stretch after time so I can pull the screen down and stretch it no so that it covers the entire screen.  That and staining the cabinet is about all I have left for now.  Now the better half is making me set something up on the inside too so we can watch the NFL ticket all day.

For those who don't feel like clicking the link here is 1 shot of the new setup.

Can I be a featured member now?  Grin

* new setup.jpg (87.64 KB, 640x426 - viewed 3356 times.)
Cherry Hills
Offline Posts: 1181

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 05:23:25 pm »

Now the better half is making me set something up on the inside too so we can watch the NFL ticket all day.

Interesting how that works, isn't it? When we started this undertaking, I think almost all of us (regardless of gender) were regarded as harmless kooks by our friends and family. Once they see it, though, they can't get enough.

I've had to set up the 6x8-foot screen in the den on several occasions, by popular demand. (I bought a set of FastFold legs on eBay, to which I clamp the screen frame.) But I ended up watching the 13-hour LOTR ext. ed. marathon with the kids, too. Great stuff!

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
gdmanry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 03:20:51 pm »

I know what you mean.  Everyone, including the family, thought I was nuts and it could never be done at a reasonable price.  Was kind of nice to watch everyone eat a little crow.

However, with my wife being from Chicago she still just can't get used to watching TV outside.  She can't get over the bugs, frogs and crickets,, and she says everytime we watch a movie the Surround scares her and she feels like someone's sneaking up on her.

Oh well, if putting one inside will get me a new pj so I never have to move anythig and have 2 permanent setups, inside and outside, I'll take it!  Grin

I never thought I'd say it, but the 2 small windows and Brady Bunch wood paneling in the LR actually comes in pretty handy for watching pj tv inside.  Not to mention that I lucked out that one of the walls is 12' wide and 8' high.

gdm
dsmalley
Offline Posts: 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 05:34:43 pm »

gdm,

this is exactly my situation. i have a pool between where my projector will be and where I can project from.  what projector did you end up going with to shoot across pool?

thanks.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: