Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
75 Guests, 1 User
OutdoorGeek
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 11:26:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 11:36:01 am]

[Yesterday at 03:13:08 pm]

[September 20, 2014, 11:42:44 pm]

[September 20, 2014, 05:22:24 pm]

[September 17, 2014, 04:07:06 pm]

[September 16, 2014, 07:06:53 am]

[September 16, 2014, 07:00:23 am]

[September 16, 2014, 06:56:26 am]

[September 16, 2014, 02:00:40 am]

[September 13, 2014, 05:19:33 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...you've taken your first step into a larger world - ben kenobi  (Read 28992 times)
stonefree
Offline Posts: 18

View Profile WWW
« on: October 20, 2006, 02:25:08 pm »

Greetings Everyone!
I have to start by saying every post on here has been helpful in one way or another to teaching me, as well as inspiring me, to do this. You know you are in a good position in this hobby when your wife is begging you to get the thing built so we can be the talk of the neighborhood.

I live in a small town in North Carolina. I own about 3 acres and most of it has no ambient light to speak of. A rolling sort of yard with just the right number of flat spots. I will be posting pictures up over the course of the next few days, as I begin construction of the screen. The materials are sitting in my garage and I begin tonight.

Here is my plan and equipment:

Screen Plan: I am shooting for a screen size of 13.5ft x 7.5 (20ft diag). Since i have only located a 12x9 screen material it will be closer to 18-19 when i am done. But heck a 19ft screen is better than a kick in the head. Wait who am i kidding a 19ft screen is awesome!

Screen Material: Using a 12x9 white "byrl" (sp?) drop cloth with grommets put in it. Bought it at Lowes for $22.

Screen Frame: Constructed of 1 1/2 inch PVC. Doing a modification of a plan from this site. I found the "k" shaped fittings that I will be using on their side to construct sort of "toes" for my frame "feet" more stability. PVC ended up costing $98 for everything that is 12 10ft peices @5.60 each then all the connectors, what i don't use in connectors i can return.

Screen anchor: Planning nylong rope with rebar stakes

The screen is not permanent and i will be taking it down each time.

Projector: Optoma EzPro 725 1100 lumens/2000:1 contrast/HD compatible. Okay if you know anything about projectors you know this is small. The projector itself weighs 2.1lbs. I have done some tests in the house running the extended LOTR: The Fellowship just shy of 4 hours. While it does get hot it doesn't shut down or anything. This should be fine considering i will be outside in cooler weather and incorporating an additional fan to hold down the temp. I paid $380 on ebay, $40 for a replacement remote, and $100 for a good HD to VGA convertor. The bulb had only 157 hours on it, it is rated for 2000. Throw distance is 30+ ft., with screen size over 250inches

Sound: Haven't bought anything yet. I am heading out to some auctions this weekend and a few garage sales. That is what I am starting with...a used stereo. I will wait for some success before investing in some true surround sound.

I will be doing a test on sunday (just the wife and me - we haven't told anyone about this hobby yet - need to be sure it is going to work first), weather permitting but as i construct the sign i will post up those pictures.

Plans for our first movie night will be with just close friends. I also do home brewing so I will have a keg of ale for the tapping and my wife bakes a lot so there will be good treats for everyone.

We are planning Finding Nemo for the debut and then The Iron Giant as a followup. Those are both bright and colorful and should have the under 10 crowd singing our praises.

Tenative name: Cardinal Ridge Theater.

So as the man said, once more into the breach dear friends.

Wish me luck.

Stonefree

If we've had known the British were going to have better comedy than us we wouldn't have declared independance.
hiredpower
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 04:16:06 pm »

Hey Stonefree,

Welcome and good luck with your construction. You sound like you have a well thought out design. I can't wait to see what you have come up with.

I'll leave you with one of my mantras:

Progress not perfection

Cherry Hills
Offline Posts: 1181

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006, 12:36:21 am »

need to be sure it is going to work first

Oh, yeah, it's gonna work great, once you work out where all the wires plug together. You'll love it, I guarantee!

Wish I could join you. That keg of homebrewed ale and a big outdoor screen sure sound like a winning combination!

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006, 08:22:19 am »

stonefree -

Welcome to the club, you are!

Sounds like you have a great start. One suggestion...if you have a Circuit City near you, try the sale "as is/open box" table for sound equipment. I was in there again the other day (actually looking at TiVo - wife is finally tired of looking for blank tapes!) and swung by the table. A lot of good stuff for cheap.

Good luck!
Tom
stonefree

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 10:28:03 am »

Wow. It was a while ago that i wrote this. My PVC screen didn't work out like i would have liked. We then plunged into a home rennovation project. Now we are finished with that i can get back to the movies. I have purchased a Gemmy inflatable screen to get the ball rolling, i will then revisit my efforts to build a larger screen but i figured let's get this thing off the ground.

Stonefree

If we've had known the British were going to have better comedy than us we wouldn't have declared independance.
tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 12:39:26 pm »

Stonefree -

Sorry the screen frame didn't work out for you.  My whole PVC screen project is one big, honkin'  research and development project. That's whole idea behind DIY...if it doens't work, you go figure out something wlse. If I am picturing what you were attempting correctly, I think the use of the "K" connectors limit the spread you can have at the base and may not be stable enough. Using the ropes on the side allows much more freedom and stability, especially on uneven ground.

Anyway, sounds like the Gemmy may take care of it. A lot of others are having great results with it.

Good luck,
Tom
KMac
Offline Posts: 341

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 11:26:23 am »

Stonefree

Welcome to the world of inflatables my friend!  I, too, own a Gemmy.  Love the size, and the hassle free setup, and the portability.  I especially like the "wow" factor from the audience. Plus, its a good value for your buck.  Is it true once you go inflatable, you can't go back?  Well, anything smaller, that is. heh, heh, heh!
Enjoy!

KMac Cool
stonefree

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 09:37:03 am »

Well,

It seems like a millions years ago that i first found this forum and first got my plans together for movie nights.

We had our inagural presentation this past Saturday. It was a phenomenal success. Aside from beautiful weather, the screen, projector and sound were all up to scratch. Here is my equipment list and then the pictures;

1. Projector -- Optoma EP 725 -- While it looks small it packs a punch, HD input and 1100 lumens, 2000:1 contrast
2. Sound -- Philips HTS-3450 -- $150 at Best Buy --- 1000w dvd sorround sound system. 5 speakers and a sub-woofer. Very nice, provided great sound. Has a USB port for plugging in an ipod for music, video, or a flash drive loaded with MP3s or pictures.
3. Screen -- Gemmy 149inch -- This was the best decision i could make, i know i would still be in the construction phase with my PVC plans.

I didn't have enough speaker wire so i was limited in how far back the table could go, and thus the projector could go, that is why i am not using all the screen. Next time I will have the speaker wire. Had i done my systems test with the sound system i would have known this. Best Advice for first timers or when you get new equipment. DO A SYSTEMS TEST PRIOR TO THE SHOW DATE.

Our first was finding Nemo, next month we are doing Star Wars (the original theatric release that came out last year, no CG, not episode 4, no Greedo shooting first!) for the 30th anniversary of Star Wars. I recieved lots of calls the next day from people saying what a great night it was.

I have the bug, and there ain't no stopping now!

Stonefree
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 02:40:15 pm by stonefree » Logged

Cherry Hills
Offline Posts: 1181

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 10:35:24 am »

Woooo hoooo! Looks like a great setup (speaker wire notwithstanding) and a great time. Thanks for posting the pics - it sure makes me itchy for the weather to get good here!

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: