Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
67 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 04:13:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 03:43:23 pm]

[Today at 01:57:32 pm]

[Yesterday at 07:26:36 pm]

[Yesterday at 07:25:24 pm]

[Yesterday at 05:25:02 pm]

[Yesterday at 09:15:06 am]

[Yesterday at 12:33:44 am]

[July 28, 2014, 12:21:20 am]

[July 27, 2014, 01:47:47 am]

[July 26, 2014, 05:02:08 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Swim-In" Movie Theater  (Read 27462 times)
tscoff
Offline Posts: 840

View Profile WWW
« on: May 07, 2007, 09:19:19 pm »

I love swimming so I call my outdoor theater a "Swim-In" movie theater.  I designed it so that I can watch movies from my hot tub in the winter.  I'm almost finished setting it up so that I can leave the entire system set up 24x7x365.  I live outside of Pittsburgh, PA so that is quite an accomplishment.

My screen is three 4x8 sheets of plywood painted white and mounted on 4x4's.  The 4x4's are held in place with concrete, so the screen isn't going anywhere.  If you look at the photos carefully you'll see that the screen is a little bit rough and I need to do something to make it perfectly smooth.  I'm hoping that it holds together until the end of the summer as it is now.

My projector is an InFocus X3, which is a 1700 lumen projector.  I have some ambient light from my neighbors and I need to get a brighter projector.  I'm going to buy a Dell 2400MP projector before the end of the summer which is a 3000 lumen DLP projector.

The receiver is a Yamaha RX-V659.  It's a 100 watt per channel receiver, although I'm only driving 4 channels with it.  I have two 80 watt per channel amplifiers.  One of them is driving two speakers that are mounted on the sides of the screen as a "center" speaker and the other one is driving two subwoofers.  The receiver is only driving the front and rear surround speakers.

My front and center speakers are KLH Audio outdoor speakers.  They're out of production now and I wish that they were still making them.

My rear speakers are Phoenix Gold outdoor speakers and they're better than my front and center speakers.  Unfortunately they were designed to be mounted under the eaves of a house and not mounted out in the weather, so I can't use them as my center "speaker" unless I want to replace them every so often.

My subwoofers are rock subwoofers from Outdoor Speaker Depot.  I thought that I didn't need them until I heard the difference.  Now I can't imagine not having them.

There is a lot more information on my web site at http://www.scoff.net/stars/  Comments and  suggestions are always welcome!

* electronics1.jpg (359.88 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1134 times.)

* screen2.jpg (341.15 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1699 times.)

* hottub1.jpg (225.46 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1132 times.)

* subwoofer1.jpg (354.97 KB, 800x600 - viewed 977 times.)

* backr.jpg (335.58 KB, 800x600 - viewed 846 times.)

* frontl.jpg (346.57 KB, 800x600 - viewed 854 times.)

Danoplex II
Offline Posts: 1285

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 06:26:20 am »

Looks like you have a pretty awesome BYT there.  Welcome to the forum.  If you are still in the market for outdoor speakers, JBL makes a "Control Series" that are made to be in the weather.  Lots of amusement parks use them throughout.  I have a pair of Control 25's on my deck for the smooth jazz in the hot tub......

They make a Control 28 which has a 8" woofer which sounds pretty nice.  They do have quite a few of these speakers on eBay and if you shop around you can usually pick up a pair for around $100.00.

Take care and thanks for the photos.

dano

tscoff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 06:58:48 am »

Dano,

Thanks!  The next time I buy any speakers I'll look into those ones.  I want to improve the projector and the screen first though.  Memorial Day weekend is the first "public" showing where I'm inviting friends over.

tscoff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 09:46:43 am »

Here are some better photos.

* screen3.jpg (376.67 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1501 times.)

* screen4.jpg (416.14 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1098 times.)

Biotron2000
Offline Posts: 139

Bakersfield, CA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 02:28:17 pm »

Tim,
I love the screen! I have a few questions for you:
1. How deep are the 4x4s set?
2. How long are the 4x4s?
3. Do you have any pictures of the rear of the frame?
I'm thinking about doing a semi-permanent screen like that myself, and I'm not sure about how I should build the frame.

Thanks,
Patrick

Patrick McNeal
Berkeley Street Cinema
Wii Console #7840-0866-0014-1508
patrick@jacpat.com
tscoff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 05:51:17 am »

The 4 x 4's stick out of the ground almost exactly 10 feet.  I believe that they are 12 feet long (I paid someone to build the screen) and two feet is in the ground.  The screen sticks up roughly 2 or 3 feet above the top of the 4 x 4's.  If I had to do it again tomorrow the only thing that I would do is use material for the screen that doesn't absorb water.  The screen is going to last for another few months, hopefully until next spring, but it isn't going to last for years like my shed which you can see right next to it.  I don't have any photos of the back and since I borrowed the camera that I used to take the photos which I posted I can't take any easily.

There is a 2x4 along the top of the screen holding all three sections of the screen together.  The sections of the screen are attached to the 4 x 4's with screws which is going to make replacing them when they absorb too much water much easier than if they were nailed into place.

tscoff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 07:59:29 pm »

I took Dano's advice and bought a pair of Crown XLS 402 amps to replace my two 80 Watt per channel amps and they're great!  The 80 Watt per chennel amps got really hot when I ran them for more than an hour because I was pushing them too hard.  The Crown amps are still as cold as they were when they were off and I've been running them for over 2 hours now, and I'm just getting ready to start my movie.

They sound exactly the same as my Audiosource amps did, but they aren't overheating which means I'm going to get years worth of use out of them.  Plus they only cost about 20% more than the Audiosource amps do and that is money well spent.  If you're lucky enough to live where your next door neighbor is not 20 feet from you you can also use them to really fill your back yard with sound.  Unfortunately I have neighbors and out of courtesy to them I'm not using these amps to anything remotely close to their full potential.

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/xls.htm

zachary12
Offline Posts: 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 10:08:13 pm »

You should call it a Dive-In movie instead of Swim-In
tscoff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 07:48:42 pm »

There's nothing like having "use them or lose them" vacation days to give you time to work on your BYT.  Today I got half way done with installing a new 20 amp circuit out to the end of my deck for my projector and I completely ran an S-Video cable out to the end of the deck for my projector.  It was a lot of work because I'm doing everything perfectly according to code, but it will be worth it this weekend!  For $900, I think I'm going to order a Dell 2400MP projector tonight.  3000 lumens for less than $1,000?  That will really enhance my BYT!

This winter I'm going to be able to use my BYT the same way I use my indoor home theater.  I'm going to walk outside, turn on a couple of switches, put in a DVD, and hit play.  Ok, I'll also have to open the lid on my hot tub, pour a glass of wine, and jump in, but that's it.

PyramidPyro
Offline Posts: 555

Burn, baby, burn!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 10:44:49 pm »

How are those Audio Source amps treating you?  How many watts, and do they get loud?

I've always been intrigued by those babies.........

Everyone have fun this weekend.........

Erik

www.PyramidPyro.com  .......because it's unnecessary and totally ridiculous.  That's why! - Ventura County Backyard Theater
tscoff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2008, 02:44:22 am »

I replaced them with a pair of Crown amps last summer.  The Audiosource amps work great and I'm using them inside.  I also take them almost everywhere.  The Crown amps run much cooler and they're also more powerful which is why I bought them.

kenallwine
Offline Posts: 286

Closed for the season

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2008, 12:20:10 pm »

Wow!  I just checked your site out.  My family is from Irwin and Greensburg.  My grand parents are off arona road on Manchester Drive.  Your probably 3-4 miles from them.  Small world!  I also have some other relatives over in Mars, PA.

Ken Allwine
510 Cinema
movielover
Offline Posts: 2270

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2008, 12:33:26 pm »

i have a good friend who was from Mars (and my former wife was from Venus... but that's another story)... i have a good friend who is from greensburg, his father was the pastor of a lutheran church there, i'm near hollidaysburg if no one remembers.

Kladder Station Classic Movies - Drive-In & Outdoor Theater

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: