Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
74 Guests, 1 User
mousse
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 01:41:03 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 07:30:12 pm]

[Yesterday at 01:04:15 am]

[August 31, 2014, 05:04:28 pm]

[August 31, 2014, 12:09:15 pm]

[August 31, 2014, 02:04:18 am]

[August 29, 2014, 08:14:49 am]

[August 26, 2014, 12:09:16 am]

[August 25, 2014, 06:07:59 pm]

by Chaz
[August 25, 2014, 02:52:13 pm]

[August 25, 2014, 11:46:19 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upstate NY Frontyard Theater  (Read 34193 times)
upstatematt
Offline Posts: 34

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2007, 05:38:22 pm »

Here are some pics of my creation.  It started out as being made completely of logs and  after a few failed attempts to stand it up (I would have needed a crane) ended as a lumber and logs frame.  The screen is a 12x20ft tarp from tarps plus that Don from BYT recommended.  It has 3 seams but they are completely unnoticeable even if you try looking for them when the projector is on.  For a projector, I am using an Infocus x2 which is rated at 1600 or 1700 lumens depending on where you get the specs from.  I added a bunch of extra tarp clips and ball bungees from Walmart for storms.  I am using a kenwood 5.1 surround system and paired each channel with an extra set of pioneer speakers, so I have 2 speakers per channel.  I hang the speakers right on the frame with the exception of the rear left and right channels.  The receiver has a subwoofer-out which I swapped out the surround sub with a 15" sub bandpass box that was in my SUV and the bass is awesome.  I have all the wires underground.  I have an extra coaxial cable running to where the projector sits thats hooked to my satellite.  I still need to build a table for the pj and amp.  I keep all of my equipment, minus the pj in the enclosed trailer right behind the screen.  In my early attempts, I thought of actually using the side of the trailer for a screen.  I hope this thing is a distraction from the fact I can't seem to grow any grass.  I love this site and it's good to see so many other people with this addiction I seem to have contracted.  Also, thanks Don for the info on the tarp, I couldn't be happier with it.

* 100_0866.JPG (241.94 KB, 1664x1248 - viewed 2961 times.)

* 100_0867.JPG (405.86 KB, 1664x1248 - viewed 2237 times.)

* 100_0868.JPG (594.55 KB, 1664x1248 - viewed 1839 times.)

* 100_0870.JPG (639.84 KB, 1664x1248 - viewed 2266 times.)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:47:01 pm by upstatematt » Logged
cafemom
Offline Posts: 372

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 07:18:18 pm »

Welcome Upstate!!!
WOW, if that's your front yard...I'd love to see the backyard!  What a fantastic setup. How many spinters did you get setting up?!?!  Grin
Can't wait to see more pics!
Cafemom

Grab a blanket, a chair & a friend and join us outside!

kelemvor
Offline Posts: 1377

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 09:32:15 pm »

Be sure to remove the plastic planter bases before you light up that bonfire though.  heh.

don
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 09:59:36 pm »

Matt, Looks Great!!!! you done a nice job with that  frame. Glad that tarp is workin out for ya.Now its time to have some fun.ENJOY!!!
tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 08:04:49 am »

Upstatematt -

Excellent setup! Love the screen house. I get eaten alive and just bought a bug zpper. I hope it doesn't distract from the movie. Looks like you're projecting from inside the screen house? Do you have to open up a section or does it show right through the screening? Also I presume that the pictures are from the front of the screen? I can see the support poles through the back. Is that not a problem at night with the projector going?

Good luck!
Tom
upstatematt

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 08:37:59 am »

I havent tried projecting from the screen house yet as I just set it up, but that's not a bad idea, especially if there is a chance of rain.  NY mosquitos are terrible, especially being in the woods.  The pj normally sits about 10 ft in front of the screen house.  I tried setting the house a little off center so people that can't fit inside still have a good view.  A little bit of light does pass through the tarp and the supports cannot be seen once the projector is on.  This is a front projection setup.  I didn't realize until it was all set up that you can still see the screen about 1/4 mile down the road (I am off the end of a dead end road), so I have to be careful what we watch until later at night.  Thanks for all of the compliments!

Matt
tscoff
Offline Posts: 840

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 10:40:02 am »

Great setup, I'm impressed.

And I understand completely about the problems with being carefuly about what you show.  My neighbors can watch my screen from their yards so my rule is G, PG, or PG-13 only.

upstatematt

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 11:26:28 am »

Tscoff, how I found out was the very first night it was all set up, we tested it out by playing the movie "Borat".  It just happened to be where the 2 gentlemen start wrestling (If you've seen the movie, it's a scene you won't soon forget) when I noticed a car was sitting at the dead end and also watching the movie.  We changed it over to baseball and walked down the road about 1/4 mile , turned around and still saw baseball.   
tscoff
Offline Posts: 840

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 12:02:13 pm »

That had to be an unpleasant surprise.  I am close enough to my neighbors that the guy across the street is joking about building bleachers in his front yard and selling admission tickets.....or at least I think he's joking.  Plus I work for the school district where I live so I am held to a higher standard than my neighbors are.  I have to set a good example for the students, which means I'm extra careful about what I show outside.

I get cars that stop on the road and stare at the movie screen almost every time I show a movie, which was part of the goal of making the screen as large as it is.

- Tim

Cherry Hills
Offline Posts: 1181

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 01:24:50 pm »

Yeah, you DEFINITELY have to screen movies before you show them outdoors, to make sure there's nothing "funny" you may have forgotten since you first saw it. I usually run through them with 16x fast-forward, just to make sure I remember  what's in the movie, but without ruining it by seeing the whole thing frame by frame.

But with "Borat", the rating should have tipped you off! " Rated R for pervasive strong crude and sexual content including graphic nudity, and language." Ummm, right.  Unless your screen is really secluded, stick with things rated safer than "R"!

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
upstatematt

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 01:59:18 pm »

I actually figured out the movie wasn't for kids from the rating, but I didn't realize how visible the screen was from that far away until it happened.  I should have started with baseball until I had it all figured out.   My screen is at minimum 750' from the end of the road and there's trees everywhere so I didn't anticipate this issue.   
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 02:11:48 pm by upstatematt » Logged
Biotron2000
Offline Posts: 139

Bakersfield, CA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 02:23:18 pm »

Wow, that's a great setup! I love the huge screen. The frame looks very sturdy; have you had any trouble with wind?

Patrick

Patrick McNeal
Berkeley Street Cinema
Wii Console #7840-0866-0014-1508
patrick@jacpat.com
upstatematt

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 04:12:07 pm »

Frame is very sturdy.  I put the 3 2x4's in the center to help with the wind as it generally comes from one direction and I worried about the gromets pulling out.  Before then, it was catching the wind like a ship sail.  I added a bunch of extra tarp clips for that reason as well.  We've had some pretty good gusts and it appears to be durable enough that I don't feel like I have to add anything else to it, but time will tell :-)
Matt
Offline Posts: 53

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 12:56:46 am »

That screen looks MASSIVE! 
DavidCoppola
Offline Posts: 46

Summer Cinema Under the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2007, 07:42:26 am »

Howdy neighbor! Where in upstate do you live? I am in Rochester.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: