The weather tried to put a damper on our Christmas in July movie night last Saturday - quite literally! The forecast called for rain and potentially severe winds overnight. Rather than stake down a 20-ft sail in the backyard we opted to set up our "small" 10-ft screen in the pergola. That afforded our guests (and our equipment) some cover from the elements (including SNOW!). We're lucky to have that option when the weather turns unfavorable. Technically, it was still an outdoor movie because the screen (and speakers) were out in the rain.
We showed a triple feature... an old classic, a newer classic and something for us night owls:
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Aside from the Christmas tree, decorations, cookies and gift exchange we had one more Christmas-time surprise for our guests... SNOW! I set up a snow effect machine on the roof of the barn to drop snowflakes down into the attached pergola area. I snuck out during the Thieving Santa Gift Exchange to crank up the snow machine! The kids loved it!
I've attached some pics...
1. I took that pic from out in the open side of the pergola. Those are SNOWFLAKES in the foreground!
2. The Thieving Santa Gift Exchange in progress! For those of you who know my son, yes, that's him! He's officially taller than me now.
3. Up on the roof, looking down through the pergola... this is what helped me make it SNOW!
4. Some of the decorations including the tree!
5. And more decorations, including a string of Christmas Story Leg Lamps!