Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
58 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 12:08:43 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Yesterday at 10:23:23 am]

[Yesterday at 10:20:43 am]

[October 24, 2014, 12:38:12 pm]

[October 23, 2014, 11:04:45 pm]

[October 22, 2014, 01:31:02 pm]

[October 20, 2014, 10:39:08 pm]

[October 19, 2014, 01:52:21 pm]

[October 19, 2014, 01:43:09 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 12:19:06 pm]

[October 15, 2014, 11:56:27 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shower Curtain Lining as Rear Projection Screen?  (Read 26281 times)
bholio
Offline Posts: 36

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 08:54:06 pm »

Here are some rear projection shots with the full screen.  2 pieces of tape at the top, and I wedged the sides behind something.  The screen is not really straight, but does demonstrate how nice and uniform the colors are.  The seam is noticeible if you look for it. 

* 101_0318.JPG (120.96 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 501 times.)

* 101_0320.JPG (176.29 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 466 times.)

* 101_0321.JPG (113.45 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 454 times.)

* 101_0317.JPG (128.01 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 309 times.)
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2406

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2008, 10:28:29 pm »

Welcome aboard, bholio and thanks for posting your pics. 

Very impressive results and probably cheaper than a new bed sheet!  Victor had good luck with this too.  The HDTape cracked me up.  Did you use it on the front?  I wonder if you limited it to the back if it would be less noticeable? 

I also wonder if there's a 12-16' roll of that stuff in a factory somewhere that eventually gets cut down into shower curtains...

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

victor-eyd
Offline Posts: 1041

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 12:00:18 am »

I'm impressed!

White shower curtains with nary a hint of hotspotting. Methinks a visit to walmart is in order. Thanks for sharing this find

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
bholio
Offline Posts: 36

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 07:26:12 am »

The HDTape cracked me up.  Did you use it on the front?  I wonder if you limited it to the back if it would be less noticeable? 
I don't know which side the tape was on in the pictures I posted.  I didn't notice the seam while I was taking them, but remembered to look for it when checking the images from the camera. 

I set up the screen & watched a movie Saturday and again on Sunday.  On Saturday, the tape was inside (close to projector).  On Sunday it was outside (close to viewers).    I started everything much earlier on Sunday, and the tape was noticeable while it was still light outside because it is shiny. Once it was dark enough to watch the movie, I don't think there was a difference. 

btrcp2000
Offline Posts: 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2008, 11:11:37 am »

I'll put in my two bits in case it helps someone else get this done...

I did this last summer with great results, and could swear I got the original idea from here.  I bought two white curtains at Meijer about $7 apiece, and taped them together with clear packing tape on both sides (couldn't find HD tape, so I had to go with SD  Cheesy).  I found grommets at Walmart to go on the sides and bottom, then off to Lowes for some steel cable, kind of like the stuff on picture frames but thicker.  I ran one of cables through the already existing holes on the top, and one through my grommets at the bottom.  I suspend it in the garage door frame with bungees whenever we want to use it, then just fold it up up and put it on the shelf.  The picture quality is amazing given what I am using.  I use sagetv, and just ran an hdmi cable out to the garage from my server in the basement.  The projector hangs from a $17 monoprice ceiling mount that is identical to the one in the basement theater (the "real" theater room), so all I have to do is unhook it from there and hang it up in the garage. Then, when it's time for bed, just turn off the lights and close the garage door, and leave the projector hanging in the garage until I feel like taking it down.  It's actually been there most of the summer. The neighborhood watched Michael Phelps win his 8th in HD in our driveway the other night, we had a great time.

I originally started thinking about this a few years ago when my Bengals were briefly not a laughingstock, and I figured it might be cool to watch outside, since they surely deserved one or two night games a year.  So much for that, every game this year is on at 1pm.  My solution to this was to buy a third ceiling mount, which hangs in the middle of the garage so I can project onto the back wall any time of day, and I can always move the projector to the other when it's dark enough for the big screen.  And that way, I'm already outside with the kids, so it's not like I wasted an entire Sunday afternoon on the couch watching the hot mess that is the Cincinnati Bengals.

After a year my screen has held up quite well, especially given the fact that I put no effort into keeping it safe and clean.  It just gets folded up and thrown on the shelf.  The packing tape has held, although it is starting to separate a bit, but it only seems to be an issue with the projector light coming through the gap.  I might try some white athletic tape to seal it up and block the light.  There is little tension on the screen itself, it can actually slide sideways along the steel cables. All I do to smooth out the wrinkles is put some little clamps on the cable at the last grommet in each corner, just to add a little push to tighten things up.  There are no hotspots, but that might be because the projector is pretty high and no one is looking directly at it.

I can't say I would have done anything differently, although I am currently exploring ways to get it permanently mounted on a roller, as the most time-consuming part of setup/takedown is arranging the bungees to get everything positioned correctly.  I actually adjusted my garage door so it would open a bit further to give me about eight inches between the wall and the bottom of the door when it is up, plenty of room for a pull down.  Now I need a 13-17 foot long tube that won't sag, like black iron pipe or electrical conduit but the big box hardware stores only carry ten foot lengths.  I missed a free 17 foot retractable awning on craigslist by about two days, would have been perfect.  If anyone has any ideas on a roller, I'm all ears!

By the way, by my math, the largest screen you can have for HDTV projected into a standard two-car garage door frame is about 7 ft high and 12.5 ft wide.  I'm trying to fnd a larger roller in case I ever want to get a larger screen for 2:35 movies.
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2008, 01:08:45 am »

bholio, I want to thank you for recommending the white shower curtain instead of the frosted one as I've used earlier.

You are totally correct! There is no hotspotting whatsoever and the image clear and sharp.

Everyone out there, this is the best thing going for outdoor rear projection for mere pennies. Two panels at walmart will set you back $4 and change!

Don't think so? Well, here it is with my trusty NEC lcd projector.

With flash

Without flash

Front image of COD4 on PS3

Rear image of same scene COD4- notice the lack of hotspotting and I am taking the image right near the center where I should easily spot it!

Sega demo

Note: if anyone can help me with getting rid of the green tint on a kodak digital camera using night settings and 2sec timer, I'm all ears.

Big Screen Outdoors
PyramidPyro
Offline Posts: 555

Burn, baby, burn!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2008, 12:17:53 pm »

Now this is something I have to try..........  Thanks to the BYT R&D Department.

Is it safe to say that a light treatment of transparent tape will help close the gap between two pieces (side-by-side) without noticing the line too much?  Within reason, of course........

Now to find something generic to project on Haloween night.

Thanks,

Erik

www.PyramidPyro.com  .......because it's unnecessary and totally ridiculous.  That's why! - Ventura County Backyard Theater
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2008, 02:37:57 pm »

Clear tape will have little if any effect. You're more likely to notice waves created by the wind once you're watching the movie

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
Backyard Paradise
Offline Posts: 551

Our Movies are a SPLASH!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 02:41:30 pm »

We did the shower curtain in the garage last year and it was a huge hit! Thanks again to the BYT cheapo's (Victor) who posted this before.  Grin

We projected a DVD from http://www.bigscreamtv.info/bigscreamtv.html and it was great! I think we have volume 2 from the 3 disc set.

I will be doing it again this year and will probably pickup one of the other discs. The curtain we used was the frosted one from WM too. I will have to pickup the white ones this year and try to tape them together.

Can anyone be more specific on the tape?

So you just butt the two sheets together with no overlap and tape on one side?

I'm assuming HD stands for heavy duty. The stuff I have is just regular packing tape, about 2" wide.

Kevin & Dee’s Backyard Theater
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2008, 02:56:40 pm »

We did the shower curtain in the garage last year and it was a huge hit! Thanks again to the BYT cheapo's (Victor) who posted this before.  Grin

We projected a DVD from http://www.bigscreamtv.info/bigscreamtv.html and it was great! I think we have volume 2 from the 3 disc set.

I will be doing it again this year and will probably pickup one of the other discs. The curtain we used was the frosted one from WM too. I will have to pickup the white ones this year and try to tape them together.

Can anyone be more specific on the tape?

So you just butt the two sheets together with no overlap and tape on one side?

I'm assuming HD stands for heavy duty. The stuff I have is just regular packing tape, about 2" wide.

Any clear 2" wide tape will do and just tape the edges together. The white is 100% superior to frosted version- frosted works better as a shower curtain than rear projection material. Cheesy

Thanks for the comments

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2008, 02:59:32 pm »

Don't make me go buy it...

I won't- but sooner or later you will have to stop by Walmart to get something...and then, "pardon me, but where do you keep shower curtains?" Grin
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:03:37 pm by victor-eyd » Logged

Big Screen Outdoors
aleuni
Offline Posts: 854

Our Theater, Your Yard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2008, 03:14:52 pm »

Don't make me go buy it...

I won't- but sooner or later you will have to stop by Walmart to get something...and then, "pardon me, but where do you keep shower curtains?" Grin

and then your wife will say "why do we need a shower curtain?"
your reply "Honey one should always have a spare shower curtain, or two...and white not frosted"

Alex
www.fatscreens.com
"No idea is a good idea, until it is your idea"
PyramidPyro
Offline Posts: 555

Burn, baby, burn!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2008, 04:17:42 pm »

Yeah, I'm hopping on this bandwagon...........

Went to KMart at lunch and got the closest thing to the WalMart suggestion as I could find.  What I wound up with was also a white, vinyl shower curtain liner.  I don't mean to get all fancy on you, but it is Martha Stewart brand (only the best Smiley).  She doesn't even know that she has ventured out into BYT.  What a woman..........  I paid about $7 for this one.  It's 70" X 70" with grommets as you would imagine.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_99900600ZX292000P?vName=Bed+%26+Bath&cName=Bath

So we have a projector at work.  Even in a fully lit conference room, a quick test shows front and rear projection to be pretty damn good. 

My ultimate goal will be to hang this over a section of three windows in our living room, covering all three of course.  Then, make a Halloween slide show calibrated to hit each of the windows with independent images all in one big projection.  Let's see if I can follow through now.

Thanks,

Erik

PS:  Tip From Martha (on the packaging) - "Hang a fresh sprig of eucalyptus, available at most floral shops, in the shower to keep the air bracing for about two weeks."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:36:17 pm by PyramidPyro » Logged

www.PyramidPyro.com  .......because it's unnecessary and totally ridiculous.  That's why! - Ventura County Backyard Theater
Extended
Offline Posts: 15

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2012, 01:23:06 am »

I'm a new member here and just had my first get together with my projector. i used a 6x9 drop cloth for rear projection. I bleached it and got it to an off white from the tan color they come it. Everyone thought it was great, but i think it needs to be bigger. I used my garage for the projector (Optoma E728) to keep the cords out of the way and it takes up about one car bay. The drop cloth does have a hot spot issue and i would like to switch to white vinyl. I found a large shower curtain here: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13354367
but with wind, I'm not sure how well it will hold up. Does anyone here know the mil of a shower curtain liner?
I found some white plastic sheeting online here:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202184168/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=white+plastic+sheeting&storeId=10051
The down side is that it is over $100 for the roll and i only want about 7 feet of it. The other question is that it is 4 mil thick, could this block too much of the light?
If this has no hot spot, my screen could look as sharp as a plasma. I'm interested in your input.
Extended
Offline Posts: 15

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 09:59:32 am »

Small update, I found out this white vinyl is also sold as constrution film in 4 mil thickness.
here is a 100' roll for about $40 plus shipping, this price is a little better, but does anyone know if it may be too thick?
http://www.zorotools.com/g/Plastic%20Construction%20Film/00057590/

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: