Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
119 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 12:27:22 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mini-deck theater  (Read 11431 times)
FrostyFreeze
Offline Posts: 441

HYLTOPLEX OUTDOOR THEATER

View Profile WWW
« on: July 24, 2011, 02:17:38 am »

I'm standing in my front yard with my buddy Carl on the 4th of July and he mentioned that it would be neat if I could buy a projector and use my neighbor's outside wall as the screen. I said it WOULD be a good idea and the neighbor has pre-teen & early-teen girls who might get a kick out of it too. But the more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea of having my OWN outdoor theater I didnt have to share even better (I'm selfish like that). And that's when the brainstorming began...

I found the screen in my church's basement. Turns out it's 40+ years old and it used to hang from the sanctuary ceiling on a rope until one Sunday morning the rope snapped and the screen crashed to the ground and broke (more on that later), so they tossed it in the basement and left it there for 10 years or so, waiting for me to come scoop it up FOR FREEEEEEE. It's a 96" square.

I went to Home Depot and bought a couple screw-in hooks and those loop thingies rock climbers use for... whatever rock climbers use those loop thingies for. Heck if I know. When not in use, I un-hook it and throw it in the garage until next time. Turns out the screen doesnt stay rolled-down by itself anymore, so I bought a rubber door stop wedge thing that does the trick quite nicely.

I call it the HYLTO-PLEX. (My last name is Hylton).

I bought a V02 model projector from www.vvme.com. It's a no-name brand Chinese knock-off, but dont hate. It's all good. It takes every kind of input you can throw at it. I connect it with a 30' HDMI cable I run from my bedroom media PC through the door right behind the screen. It has a couple very capable internal speakers, but also has a couple RCA audio outputs too.

You think my projector is low-budget? You should see the box-on-a-stool-on-a-table set-up it's sitting on! I'm still working on that part.

And there you have it.

rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2416

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 09:22:29 am »

You should see the box-on-a-stool-on-a-table set-up it's sitting on!

Can't wait to see that!  Best name for something that I've seen in a long time.

Welcome aboard, Alen. I'll bet that ol' DaLite is THRILLED to be out of the basement and making people happy again.  Nice fix with the door stopper.  I like your style.

Thanks for posting and have a blast!

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

FrostyFreeze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 10:52:59 am »

You should see the box-on-a-stool-on-a-table set-up it's sitting on!

Can't wait to see that!  Best name for something that I've seen in a long time.

It's the Wave of the Future! Smiley

But seriously, the box-on-a-stool-on-a-table set-up makes me pretty nervous. I need to find a more permanent , less wobbly solution, but what? A taller stool so I can ditch the box? That stool is pretty short (only 2'), so a taller stool will probably be my next step. Ideally, I'm looking for some sort of shelf I could hook or clamp on to the deck railing but havent found anything suitable yet. Remember those old baby seats you could hook/clamp to the ende of a table at a restaurant? Something similar to that would be perfect.

rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2416

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 11:05:43 am »

Yea, that's a little sketchy.  Great name, tho.  Grin

I just snapped this pic.  We have a few of these on the top deck holding solar lanterns.  Might spark an idea for a clip design.  And maybe you could fashion a shelf out of them with a little bendage and maybe a platform welded on.  Unfortunately I don't recall where they came from. 

* clamps.jpg (84.55 KB, 600x448 - viewed 507 times.)

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

bmac
Offline Posts: 1334

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 03:37:58 pm »

I would speculate that anyone who can fashion the door-stopper-screen-wedge and the box-on-a-stool-on-a-table could come up with some way to clamp a shelf to railing. Just sayin'.

I appreciate your resourcefulness. Nice job. But, I share your concerns about the wisdom of long term use of the B.O.A.S.O.A.T. thingy. Would hate to see the pj come to a premature demise.
FrostyFreeze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 01:26:43 am »

Thanks for the props, guys! I'll keep you posted on how I work out with the new pj mount.

BTW, my wife is out of town and has no idea I did any of this. I'll let you know how THAT goes when she gets back Wink

Underdog66
Offline Posts: 307

'Cause cuttin the roof off my den would be stupid!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 01:33:41 pm »

Try this clamp.  Its for the base only.  I figure you already know how to make a box.

* Deck Railing Clamp.pdf (10.96 KB - downloaded 218 times.)

Infinity Backyard Motion Pictures
Underdog66

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 05:59:19 pm »

You could also make a "column" where the bottom base is a little wider than the PJ platform. 

========
       ||      ||
       ||      ||
       ||      ||
       ||      ||
       ||      ||
       ||      ||
 =============

You could even add a shelf.  Yeah, maybe 2... yeah! And some wheels! Yeah!  BIG wheels! Yeah! And a hook for a flashlight... and satellite speakers... and a robotic arm that pumps the built in kegorator and refills your beer mug but does it so fast it also does double duty holding your screen down!  Yeah!!!

FrostyFreeze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 06:09:50 pm »

I'm pretty handy, but I dont know if I'm THAT handy! I've always been more of an electronics/audio/video/computer guy, not so much a woodworking/sawing/building kind of guy.

If I could just find a plain old stool that was taller than 2.5' for around $20 I'd be made in the shade!

Stupid B.O.A.S.O.A.T. ...

Underdog66

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 01:43:49 am »

Home Depot in Hawthorne has plastic & metal shelves for $14 and up.  I was just in there yesterday.  You might want to check there for your projector stand.  If you are interested in building the column I mentioned out of wood, its a 10 minute project using plywood or MDF and 2x4s or 2x6s.  I could show you how.

Oldalgebra
Offline Posts: 635

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2011, 09:07:34 am »

FrostyFreeze,
Here's a projector stand I made for my classroom (PVC and old boards) before I retired. I'm still using it for our backyard theater today. I leave it out in the rain, as I am hoping to upgrade someday, so don't care about its condition. Maybe something similar to this, only taller would work. It would probably need another shelf for stability.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:43:40 am by Oldalgebra » Logged

FrostyFreeze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 01:48:06 am »

Ding-dong, the box-on-a-stool-on-a-table is dead! I bought a plastic shelving unit at Home Depot today for $14! It's 36" tall now, and goes up to 51" with another shelf level I'm not using. Long live the B.O.A.S.O.A.T.

I had a couple neighbors over tonight and we watched the HBO Sports documentary "Magic & Bird: A Courtship of Rivals". Not exactly a Hollywood blockbuster, but a good time was had by all.

BTW, betcha didnt know one of my neighbors is our very own "Underdog66"! Turns out he lives about 2 blocks away from me, what are the chances? We've gotta be the closest BYTers to each other, right?

And in other news, I also connected my cable box to my PJ this week. Not too shabby, if I do say so myself.

(Pics attached)

* DSC01455.JPG (746.43 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 492 times.)

* DSC01463.JPG (787.55 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 538 times.)

* DSC01479.JPG (814.68 KB, 1920x1080 - viewed 533 times.)

Underdog66

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 04:52:28 am »

I think I figured out why your screen won't stay rolled out.  Check out the pic attached.

* screen.jpg (5.26 KB, 225x300 - viewed 478 times.)

Oldalgebra
Offline Posts: 635

after dark, all summer long

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 09:23:54 am »

Boy, Underdog, I wouldn't be surprised if that's it!
Those were the kind of screens they gave teachers years ago, if they didn't have a place to hang them from the chalkboards.

FrostyFreeze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 10:12:12 am »

Well that explains that!

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: