Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
119 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 12:25:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spring Avenue Starlight Theater  (Read 70719 times)
Dennis
Offline Posts: 769

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 09:45:34 am »

Just a quick update with new pictures:

Randy had suggested a black drape under the screen to polish the look...it works great!  (also note the D-I speaker stand to the right, also helping "the mood")

I've updated the projector perch...the 4x4 is in one of those metal thingies you pound into the ground for a mailbox.  The entire stand just slips out for storage during non-movie-days.  The two garden stones are for getting to the projector for focus.  Smiley

All equipment except for the projector is in the house...it's soooo cool to drill a hole in the side of your house.  The black cable is HDMI, the green is a garden hose wire harness holding all speaker connections.  The duck is just a duck.

Ultimately the pessimist may be proven right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip!
mamadada
Offline Posts: 304

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 09:48:10 am »

That looks great.  What were the two brick columns for originally?

If all he wanted was shadow puppets, you should have bought a flashlight.
Dennis

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 10:01:56 am »

That looks great.  What were the two brick columns for originally?

hehe...you are right, that does look like two brick columns now!  It's really my garage, built right into the hill, complete with concrete slab top.   Cool

Ultimately the pessimist may be proven right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip!
rawod
Offline Posts: 193

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 12:17:16 pm »

NICE JOB !!!

Can you please give us some pictures of the bar & concession?
We're expecting over fifty people and need ideas and probably need extra space for rum.

The party, the people, the movie (and Hot Dogs)
PucksterDave
Offline Posts: 54

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 01:21:33 pm »

What kind of HDMI cable is that?   did you make it yourself?  and extension of some sort?
Dennis

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2009, 09:35:25 am »

2009 Season Update

Not only did we upgrade our technology this year (Optoma HD71 and BluRay), but we rebuilt our retaining wall to make the theater area nicer to keep our neighbor's fence/yard from falling into ours.  We've had about 4 "100 year rains" in the last couple years and the dry-stacked limestone gave up the fight.

Some pictures...quite a difference from last year's pictures earlier in this thread!

The crowd gathers for opening night...we showed IRON MAN

Batman came by to "see Tony"...

Dennis

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2009, 09:38:37 am »

Sample of a typical preshow.  The first 30 seconds is the test pattern we use to set focus and horizontal level.  We usually have 3-4 trailers, this sample only has one to limit the length.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fIz5RL2Ct64" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/fIz5RL2Ct64</a>

RaalphD6
Offline Posts: 71

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2009, 10:37:05 pm »

Wow great setup!  Nice work on the retaining wall.  I was wondering if you could post a picture of the back of your screen.  I was curious to see if you had a middle support for your screen and how the screen was wrapped around the frame.  I was thinking of using 1" EMT for Version 2 of my screen.  The first version uses 2" PVC and isnt as portable as I would like it. I was thinking of using 3/4" or 1" EMT in smaller sections and connecting on-site, breaking it down and putting it in my truck after each use.

Thanks! 

Crossing Drive Backyard Theaters
-Matt
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2416

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2009, 10:54:31 pm »

Looking great, Dennis!  Glad you were able to work things out on the PJ upgrade for this year.

Your garage looks more like a movie screen now, than a garage, with that black drape.   Grin  (I missed that addition from last year but noticed it a couple days ago)

Have fun!

Randy

PS: Are you near O'Hare?  I need to make a trip to Chi-Town (Rosemont) soon.

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

Dennis

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2009, 10:58:07 pm »

Thanks for the kind words, Raalph...we are delighted at how well everything turned out!

It's raining or I would go get a snapshot of the back.  There is no middle brace...just the outside frame that the trapeze is attached to.  There are two "L" shaped brackets on the sides that are then attached to the garage roof.

Since the 1" EMT only comes in 10' lengths at the big box stores, there is a splice to make the 16' width.  To minimize the potential for sagging at the joint, I slip in a 4 foot long, 1" diameter wooden dowel rod at the splice.

The fabric is attached with the plastic clamps below...I wouldn't recommend the 3/4" EMT, it would bend more and the plastic clamps work perfectly with the 1" EMT.

I love the trapeze+EMT screen...when I do take it down to wash, it only takes about 15 minutes to stretch it back over the frame and it gives a great image quality.

Randy: I'm about 30 minutes from O'Hare...I'm directly west of Chicago.  Let me know when you are coming and I'll make sure beer is involved!

* Snap-Clamp-250.jpg (13.3 KB, 250x225 - viewed 503 times.)

Dennis

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2009, 05:19:58 pm »

File under the "BYT screens aren't the only cool use of PVC"...on one side of the house is the Spring Avenue Starlight, on the other:

My wife says I'm getting in touch with my inner hippie as I get older  Tongue

Sparge
Offline Posts: 2920

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2009, 05:31:15 pm »

File under the "BYT screens aren't the only cool use of PVC"...

You see a rainwater reclamation system... I see a five vessel micro-brewery!   Grin

-Sparge-
Dennis

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 11:58:55 am »

*Everything* is on the upgrade list this year...now brewing beer collecting rainwater in 60% more barrels! (scroll 2 posts up for 2009 deployment)

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:49:09 pm by Dennis » Logged

AaronEva
Offline Posts: 242

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 01:37:57 pm »

Dennis,

Any additional info on the Rainwater system?

Thanks,

Aaron
Dennis

See you under the stars!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 01:59:46 pm »

Hey Aaron...

1) Last year I trolled CraigsList for the barrels...found a guy who worked for a major restaurant chain and brought one home each night.  The barrels are how the restaurant ships tomatoes and salsa. I made a deal for 10 at about 15 bucks each.

2) The bottom of the barrels are tied together with 1" PVC so that they act like one big container. 

3) I have both sides of the house (you can see the feed from the far side at the back end of the row) and the sump pump emptying into the barrels.  The 1.25" overflow is on the first barrel and empties into a 3" PVC that takes it to the front yard for discharge.

4) I have a pump tied to 2 garden hoses (one for front yard, one for backyard) and can water flowers and entire lawn with about 75% of the capacity of the barrels.

Last year I always watered on any "water restriction" days...was rewarded twice by village official and/or police stopping to let me know I had to stop.  They loved the rain barrel tour and lecture!  Both times I was reminded of being a kid when my dad would drive his 1963 VW Bus into a gas station and ask the attendant to "check the water in the radiator".  I guess being a smart-ass is genetic.   Cool

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: