Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
132 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2017, 05:34:32 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]

[August 11, 2017, 07:20:57 am]

[August 08, 2017, 01:16:07 pm]

by SR
[July 19, 2017, 11:18:24 pm]

[July 17, 2017, 10:29:24 am]

[July 03, 2017, 08:31:37 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charity theater! 300+ people in the park and $4,000 raised!!  (Read 8307 times)
xtremerunnerars
Offline Posts: 22

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2008, 12:40:03 am »

Hey everyone,

Well, it's safe to say I've come a long way with the help here.  I just got back from showing Cars (HD, of course!) in the park for over 300 people from around the community. 

A little backstory:

A math teacher at my highschool recently had a child.  She passed away over the summer after being sick with complications of epilepsy for several months, and the NHS and wrestling team felt like we should do something.  All proceeds from the incredible amount of concession donations and other monetary donations went towards the Epilepsy Foundation.  We had already done a movie night just for highschool kids and had about 50 people at my friend's house for a showing of transformers.  That was pretty successful, but we decided to step it up!

So we busted out the sewing machine and grommets, bought more blackout cloth, and then bought a bunch of 2x4's and more PVC.  Our screen size went from 10 feet x 8 feet to 20 feet by 8 feet! 

We rigged the screen up to the PVC with zip ties and the grommets, and then attached the PVC to the 2x4 frame we constructed.  That was then attached to a full size soccer net and nailed to the ground with rope drawn out to accommodate wind.

I was in charge of everything technical (ie anything that deals in 1s and 0s) since I'm the geek  Grin  The township took care of the licensing (they do pool movie nights) so that helped out a lot.  With local connections, I was able to get multiple local businesses on the huge main road in the township to advertise for the movie night.

Things were started off with a really beautiful slide show of clips from his daughter's life set to music.  Then we took a short break.  We split it halfway through for intermission with the awesome old school drive in clips that made adults feel all nostalgic, and then finished the movie.

We, a rag-tag group of high school seniors from the NHS and wrestling team, raised over $4,000 to donate directly to the Epilepsy Foundation.

Pictures soon!

A lot of the credit goes to the help i've received here in getting everything going.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2008, 08:18:05 pm by xtremerunnerars » Logged
kelemvor
Offline Posts: 1383

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 07:59:38 am »

Gratz on a great event!  Sounds like a great turnout for a great cause.

bmac
Offline Posts: 1334

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 09:51:06 am »

Kudos to you and your "rag-tag" group of friends for investing your time and talents for the benefit of others.  I see big success in your future.  Keep up the good work.
cecilb
Offline Posts: 2056

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 10:16:04 am »

You get it! That what it's all about. You should be very proud of yourselves.

Well done!

(and you had fun!)

seating for 1,000........... 12 at a time
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2416

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 10:47:59 am »

Congratulations, xtremerunnerars!!

I think it's very impressive that you and your friends made this event a success, covering licensing and the many technical and organizational needs, involving the community, and were able to generate such a significant contribution to the Epilepsy Foundation and a heartfelt tribute to the teacher's daughter.  What a wonderful way to utilize your skills and energy for the greater good.

Feels good, doesn't it?

Thank you, to you and your friends for all your efforts.  You're inspirational students.  Your parents and community must be very proud.

Great work!

Post some pics when you can!

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

40-Dan
Offline Posts: 58

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 10:56:34 am »

no pics = didn't happen.

Just kidding.  Way to go, guys.  That's really impressive.

Now seriously - let's see some pics.

Dan
xtremerunnerars

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 07:14:58 pm »

Ask and you shall receive!

A lot of the pictures I took were blurred beyond utility.  The camera had a lot of issues taking pictures at night and I wasn't trying to annoy people by taking picture after picture.  For the bulk of the night, that concession line was double in size and there were two of them!

The final total was tabulated, and I have been told it is now over $4,000.  I am pretty sure we are presenting a check to the teacher at a school assembly.  The story has been featured in multiple local magazines/newsletters and we're working on the press release for the Pittsburgh newspapers.
movieman
Offline Posts: 1624

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 05:51:04 am »

Where did you pull electric from and how many feet.  Did you have any low voltage problems.  rg

rg
see you at the movies
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2416

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 07:09:17 am »

Hey, you utilized the soccer goal!  Good call!

Is that you, without the black dot?

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

xtremerunnerars

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 03:44:02 pm »

Yeah, that's me without the black dot.

As for the electricity, there is a concession stand near the screen (it's behind me in the pictures that show the screen) and the distance is at least one soccer field in length.

They had heavy duty power lines running in that building so we were able to safely draw from multiple circuits.
kenallwine
Offline Posts: 286

Closed for the season

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2008, 07:49:48 am »

Great job on the fund raising.  It's always good to see charity work.  Fun way to do it too!.  Out of curiosity, did you get a license for the movie?

Ken Allwine
510 Cinema
crmsnidol
Offline Posts: 83

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 10:25:45 am »

That's a fantastic setup and a huge turnout. Assuming the generosity of the town and the school hasn't been depleted...

Has the baby who lost their mother been provided for? i.e. will there be a second showing with proceeds going toward their college education?
xtremerunnerars

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 11:33:32 pm »

Actually crmsnidol, it was the child who died, not the mother.  We have established a scholarship fund and the next few charity events we have lined up (school related things) are benefiting that fund.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: