Backyard Theater Forum
December 10, 2017, 08:55:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you're having difficulty activating your new user account  please check your junk mail folder for the activation email.  If you're still having problems, email info at  BackyardTheater.com and we'll help.

Home Help Search Login Register   *
96 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 10, 2017, 08:55:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The $20.00 sideyard drive-in theater  (Read 171709 times)
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2006, 11:24:12 am »

I'm considering the raising of the screen however I have so much space around the area I'm rather hesitant. I'll have to make practice party to see if it merits moving up the screen. Also, it gets somewhat windy at times and moving the panels higher allows me less areas to hold velcro the screen to the fence.

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2006, 07:57:33 pm »

I've found some extra white paint lying around, so the panels were painted, and this project is complete!!

One annoying problem is that the paint curved the panels slightly. I could paint the other side to counteract the curve but for now the panels look great.

Yes, once projected the tape seams do show since they don't totally match the paint but after a few minutes you forget about this. All in all, very affordable, very durable and easy to store. I'm very happy. Cheesy

My next step is getting surround sound. I've just found out that my main amps on the receiver are dead Angry. However, I had a carver tfm-15 amp just sitting there doing nothing so I'm back in business Grin

Also, my $10.00 dvd player is really junk so I'm gonna look for a spare dvd player in the house, which I think also cost me $10, now that I think about it....

Its not the end, just the beginning...

Thanks to everyone and this great forum.

Victor

PS- Randy pls use this image instead of those 2 crummy examples Grin
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:37:50 pm by victor-eyd » Logged

Big Screen Outdoors
Pass_The_Off

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2006, 09:43:27 pm »

Howdy

A wonderfull job!

Suggest you try Behr "Silverscreen" color,  if the white shows the seams to much.  Did wonders for me.
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2006, 02:45:10 am »

I wanted to create my sound system to have it all- great surround sound, subwoofer capable, modular so I can remove/add components when needed, and most of all easy to move. After much deliberation on the merits/hardships of "taking it outside", I finally, with the help of long spools of speaker wire and video cable, reached the sonic conclusion of this outdoor project.

All components are now housed in a nice fairly dust-free location inside the garage. The Denon is the surround sound receiver, and it powers the 2 centers (this particular unit actually had a double center plugs) and the surround. I preamp the front mains onto my carver tfm-15. The carver is unique in that it had rca inputs and outputs, allowing you to daisy chain more amps if needed. From the output signal I fed it to my partexpress sub-amp.

Using the front a/v input of the receiver, I can hook up an xbox, playstation, or my dvd player and I'm in business.

Finally, using a LOT of speaker wire, I can now freely wire all of my speakers, including my passive sub, all the while keeping the components out of harms way. At the end of the movie I can simply spool all of the wire and put away the speakers.

BTW, the old silver kenwood powers my garage sub-sat system. The 5-cd player output is split using a spare radio shack video splitter to both systems, so I can use the cd for background music outdoors or simply when I'm working in the garage.

Victor
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:38:48 pm by victor-eyd » Logged

Big Screen Outdoors
rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2006, 06:58:36 am »

Looks great, Victor!!

I'll swapout the image(s) tonight.

Nice work. Smiley

Randy

Update:  Victor, I swapped out your image (you may need to do a refresh).  If you don't mind, I'd like to leave your prototype rear projection garage door screen (that would be a RPGDS, I suppose).  It's a good example of yet another low-cost option (from the master) that might help to get someone else addicted ...er, started.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 08:54:29 pm by rfisk » Logged

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2006, 01:42:36 pm »

Well, I finally did a movie night. Had some coronas, rum and Coke, and plenty of chips. My first full length movie was Incredibles and it turned out pretty well as I had hoped for. Gotta fine tune the surrounds but the sub and the dual centers made a big difference in filling out the sound.

Setup up time was quick- about 20 min for screen and speakers. Breakdown roughly the same.

I'll be having another movie night but its gonna have to be a shorter movie. Over here on the left coast movie starts about 9-9:15pm. Its too bright any earlier.

Anyways, here pics of my setup - which sorta looks like what Snoopy setup in Charlie Brown Thanksgiving Grin

Victor
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:39:43 pm by victor-eyd » Logged

Big Screen Outdoors
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2007, 06:21:02 pm »

I'm starting to get upgraditis. At the office I've found 2 (I'll need 3) more of these cardboard panels. But they're huge at 60x110, so to have 3 of them to become 180" wide x 110" high, I'll end up at about 16:9 207" with room to spare.

I've also found some white paint lying around so this little upgrade won't cost me much at all, perhaps $20-30 for more velcro.

100" seems so small now Grin

Victor
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 07:40:03 pm by victor-eyd » Logged

Big Screen Outdoors
rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2007, 10:56:12 pm »

Go Vic-tor.  Go Vic-tor.  Grin

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

BigScreenThrills

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 08:36:57 am »

Victor, you sure know how to keep the cost down.  I got worried for a second when you said you were getting upgraditis.  But then I saw $20-$30 upgrade cost, and I felt better.

Heck, I'm happy when I make a purchase and my TAX is only $20-$30.

Great job, post some pics when it's done!

Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2007, 12:13:11 pm »

100" seems so small now Grin

Ain't that the truth? I caught myself wishing for a 9x16 foot screen and then realized that my backyard space is only 10 feet wide and the driveway is 14 feet. But it looks like you have the space, so I say GO FOR IT!

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 08:15:16 pm »

Been awhile since I updated this thread but..... Grin

It has arrived (top panel for safety only)

Wow, it really big, but incredibly light (about 10-12lbs)

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 08:17:45 pm »

Here it is, unpainted and just leaning on the fence.

Yes, I have to get rid of the weeds Wink

And here it behind its predecessor

Each panel is 60x105, so three panels are 180x105, or over 200+" 16:9 diagonal

Did I mention it was free Grin Grin Grin

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
rfisk
Administrator

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 08:38:43 pm »

That's going to be a nice upgrade Victor. 

Would look great with a big Trapeze/Spandex diaper stretched over it.

Randy

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: