Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
116 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2017, 04:57:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[October 13, 2017, 10:18:59 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]

[August 11, 2017, 07:20:57 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Falls Ridge Movie Nights!  (Read 152864 times)
kelemvor
Offline Posts: 1383

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 01:17:45 pm »

That's the same as I'm going to do but my main concern is the corner.  If you cut out the seams then there's the chance that it could unravel or something so my wife's going to try to just stop sewing and do some back stitches right around the 8" mark so we don't have to cut through any seams.

Thanks.

tlogan6797
Offline Posts: 933

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2006, 12:38:20 pm »

Next showing is tomorrow night. I'll try to get some closeup pics of how we did it.

(BTW - King Kong!)

Tom   
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 10:00:20 am »

DAng can'tbelieve my last post here was in JULY! Been too busy watching movies! HAve to download the camera. Those dang high volume digital cards make it just as hard as going through prints! Anyway...

We watched King Kong and by about 10:30 (or was it 11:30?) it was just my wife and I...we decided to watch the last half hour anyway. We only had three or or four kids show upanyway and I figured ifthey all left around 10 we'd just pack in. They styed until the last half hour so we stayed.

Had a good turnout for RV. it was part of theneighborhood picnic and a great night weather-wise. I did one of those 20th Century Fox logos ofr the neighborhood and that got a great response.

We were SUPPOSED to have our big Halloween outdoor showing this past Saturday, only the weather did not cooperate! Wind gust were up 45-50 mph! Even if I got the screen up, I wasn't about to take any chances with the equipment blowing over. And then 5 minutes after all the kids showed up in costume, it started to shower so we moved everything inside. I had been plainning on it anyway and spent all day cleaning up the basement as it is in the middle of being finished. I hung the screen along one wall and used those "scene setters" to cover the bare studs. Took out the white lights and put in black lights. Worked out  pretty well. Also gave me a little idea of the finished screen size in the basemet room should be.

Looks like Falls Ridge Movies Nights are over for the season!

Tom

tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 10:41:55 am »

Falls Ridge Movie Nights! 2007 Schedule just released.

Been a while since I posted here. We just released an admittedly abbreviated schedule for this year. (So I'm creating a deck theater to enjoy more often, but that will be a different thread.)

3rd Saturday of the month....

June - Night At the Musem
July - Jetsons:The Movie
August - Pursuit of Happyness
September - TBD
Halloween - BIG Triple feature TBD (although, with the new time change being pushed back, there may not be time for a triple feature)

Equipment update -

Been working with a neighbor to add some connections to the ends of the speaker snakes. Should make setup and breakdown easier as one of the problems with the snakes is the ends of the wires getting tangled and worse, labels comming off. Plus it will make it easier for "helpers" to actually, you know, help.

Tom
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2007, 08:11:36 am »

Night at the Museum scheduled for this Saturday, providing the weather clears up. We're finally getting all the rain we missed in April and May.

Neighbor feverishly working on finishing connectors on snake. Saturday night is fast approaching!

Tom
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2007, 09:20:20 am »

Saturday night's showing of Night At the Museum went great! Had a nice crowd, maybe 30 in all.

Took about 45 minutes to set everything up. Had some good help from neighbors. I had to remember myself how everything went as it is the first time I've had the big screen up since last September.  Only did two things in the wrong order and had to re-do them. Not bad!

The connectors for the snakes worked out great. I need to get some pics so you can all see what was done. Since it is the first time using them it took a little extra to connect. Basically, we made two pigtails with connectors from the reciever, one for each snake (LF, RF, CTR, SUB and LR, RR). We opened up as many of the speakers as we could and hard wired a mini-connector. Then put a matching end on the snake. That made it so that I connected up the pigtail while "helpers" could place and easily make all the speaker connections (just push in the plug!). Then I just connected up the the other end.

Now, I just need the neioghbor to make similar connections for my deck speakers to conncet to the amp, and I can leave the pigtail connected to the amp all the time and it's only undoing the two connetors to move the amp from the deck to pack it for the neighborhood shows.  THEN setup becomes just making the two conections.

I DID find that breakdown was faster this way too (leass tangling of the ends of the snake due to bare ends). And with the help, I had everything down, packed in the SUV, home and stowed in the garage within 25 minutes.

I must be getting better at this. After I packed up everything to take before the show, I kept thinking..."I MUST be missing something....I MUST be missing something...it just doesn't seem like enough stuff." Turns out I had everything I needed. I guess it's just organized and stored in the garage better so it makes it easier.

One final thing...I think my $29 DVD player is starting to go. I had that probelm last week on the deck of not being able to eject the DVD after the movie ended without unplugging and plugging back in. Then during Saturday's show, THREE times picture froze for about 15 or 20 seconds. The first time I thought maybe it was while switching layers, but not THREE times. Guess I need to keep an eye on it.

Tom
Bedrock
Offline Posts: 29

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 12:19:49 pm »

Tom as you know I got my design from you and the one thing that I'm wondering is when you made your screen did you use boc only.  When I made mine I used a canvas cloth and blackout together and it's heavy.  I'm thinking about removing the canvas tarp and resew the boc together or just using the boc side for viewing. But on the boc side I have a seam in the middle b/c I had to sew it across to combine the boc.  Thanks for all the help you given....

Cheesy Frank

Bedrock Backyard Theaters
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 12:45:17 pm »

Bedrock...

Yes, I used ONLY the BOC, shiny side out (for no particular reasaon other than I THOUGHT I might get a brighter image but I have nothing really to back it up vs. the dull side --- I couldn't tell any diffrence from when I tested the dull side on my deck screen).

I have a seam runing the across the width of my 12 foot screen and it is virtualy invisble. Don't let that seam scare you off. PErsonally, I would remove the tarp and just go with the BOC.

Glad to help.

Good luck,
Tom
Bedrock

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 12:59:40 pm »

Thanks for that information....I guess that I have my work cut out for me this weekend.   Undecided Tonight if it doesn't rain again and if it's dry enough my wife and I are going to watch Friday the 13th part 2 and 3.  We watched part 1 last night but had to watch it inside b/c of the storm. We have a thearter room so it was cool, but she wants to watch them outside tonight so I will turn it around to the boc side and see if she notice the seams.  They want brother me a bit. Then Saturday morning I will disassemble the tarp and re-sew the boc.  Man you live and learn, I learn something new on this site just about everyday.  So I guess I'll have a part 2 to my screen. And the journey continues.....  Grin

May the force be with me....  Cheesy

Thanks Tom for the help

tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 01:21:30 pm »

Your quite welcome.

You may not get a good feel for how the seam bothers you while it is attached to the tarp. If it's not pulled tight it may not be a good test.

Since mine was built that way, it pulls tight on the frame and becomes invisible once the movie starts.

Trust Force you must.

Tom
Bedrock

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 01:50:14 pm »

Okay I got you....I may just have to wait until Saturday night after I'm finished doing it over. I don't think 3 hours is enough time for me to get it finished and ready for showtime.  We will see.

Then the force shall be with me.....  Cool

Bedrock

tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2007, 01:41:37 pm »

This past Saturday night we ran Jetsons: The Movie. We didn't get the rain that was predicted and it turned out to be a perfect night. The turnout was not so great. I don't know what to do. It was advertised as "kids night." I try to pick things that they haven't seen a million times, but I guess kids today are different, so next year I'll pick one if the modern "classics."

So, Jetsons:The Movie. I didn't realize when I picked it that it had never been released on DVD. So I got online and found a copy already on DVD copied from VHS.  I figured if I would have had to have gotten a VHS copy online and then convert it digital and burn it anyway, I might as well save myself one step. It was an adequate transfer, but MAN, once you get used to DVD, analog looks pretty crappy.

And I think there were some parts cut out. First clue...the box says 1 HOUR 22 MINUTES. When I burned it along with all the preshow stuff, it only came up at 64 minutes. And while watching, it didn't make any sense that all of sudden Elroy and the robot kid are best friends, when the Robot kid says, "Elroy really saved me today" and they both have bandages on.  I seem to remember something about them getting involved with some bullies. And then at the end, all of a sudden the Blue guy hands Judy a tape of the song he made for her. I seem to remember a LOT more of that story being in there as well and the rock star being involved.

It only took about 10 minutes to load everything up in the truck. I just kept thinking, "It's not enough stuff." Turns out I had everything, maybe I'm just used to it now. I have tried to condense a couple of the containers.

Replaced the S-hooks on the guy lines with snap hooks. Found out only ONE of them actually fit onto the eyehooks. It was made differently than all of the others, even though they were in blister packs of two. Guess I have to get bigger ones.

Finally....the stupid DVD player refused to play. It powered on and at least ejected the DVD, but refused to play. Neither hitting play on the remote or on the panel worked. I had to run home and grab the player out of my living room. It is/was a $29 player so I wasn't so much angry that it crapped out (I had been having some troubels with it) but more angry that it happened right then, with a bunch of people standing around. Fortunatley, it only took about 10 minutes to run home, get the other one, and hook it up.

So I'm in the market for a new DVD player. It was 3 years old, so I'm guesing the same $29 will get me a player twice as good now!

Tom
cecilb
Offline Posts: 2056

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2007, 10:16:06 am »

I replied via PM (hope it wasn't too late) but it occurred to me that since you asked here, I reply for the benfit other who might read it....

Basically, I just cut the notches and prayed. So far, so good.

I left maybe a quarter inch or so from the seam. What we did was sewed all four sides edge to edge and then cut the corners to open up the pockets. This DOES mean that you have to cut off the seams at the corners.

Maybe a little diagram would help. The diagram is not to scale but you should get the idea. You can see that in the corners you need to cut away the seams. My wife added a few diagonal stitches across the corners of the notches for a little extra strength, but that's it.

Good luck,

Tom.........

I have you to thanks for my screen as I modified it somewhat with a smaller version 10X6 so I just have one center brace. I cut out my notches prior to sewing loops. I've had a few rips so far around the openings and am wondering best way to repair them.

Thanks for sharing your great plans. I'm impressing neighbors with my screen skills. Yes, I've given you credit Grin

seating for 1,000........... 12 at a time
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2007, 10:33:35 am »

Tom.........

I've had a few rips so far around the openings and am wondering best way to repair them.

Small ones haven't really been a problem. Someone "helping" me set up got a little muscular on one corner caused about 3 or 4 inch rip. After I took the screen down, I just matched up the fabric and used a little extra strength duct tape (Gorilla brand) behind it. Since it's BOC, you can't see behind it anyway. It's been hoding up fine.

Good luck,
Tom
tlogan6797

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2007, 02:04:38 pm »

Annual Neighborhood Picnic scheduled for this Saturday. Weather prediction is early darkness with some scattered light toward early morning, increasing darkness later. PERFECT!

Also took the chance to swap the last-month's-rained-out Pursuit of Happyness and replace with Wild Hogs. Should be much better movie for the picnic crowd.

Tom

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: