Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
129 Guests, 1 User
shawn_ky
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2017, 04:46:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]

[August 11, 2017, 07:20:57 am]

[August 08, 2017, 01:16:07 pm]

by SR
[July 19, 2017, 11:18:24 pm]

[July 17, 2017, 10:29:24 am]

[July 03, 2017, 08:31:37 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anybody painted Billboard Vinyl?  (Read 7581 times)
Player
Offline Posts: 120

View Profile
« on: June 06, 2014, 10:40:40 am »

I thought there was a thread about this somewhere, but I couldnít find it.
Iím thinking about painting the back side of my vinyl. When I setup at my in-laws the screen faces east and any sun light from the west makes the signage on the back show through. I can get a good picture when thereís still some sun light, but the shadows from the lettering are really distracting.
I was thinking of painting the back black to eliminate the shadows and cut down on the bleed through. I was wondering what kind of paint to use that wonít crack when I fold it up?
Anybody tried this?
tronn4
Offline Posts: 1288

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 04:36:57 pm »

quick answer is yes, someone i know has painted their tarp. longer answer is its only been up about 2 months and so far no issues but also has not been folded down yet. its fourm member Ranman. i'll send him a message on the facebook BYT to post on here. likewise you can also contact him on the facebook BYT group at

https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/byt.backyard/

ranman101
Offline Posts: 321

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 12:01:02 am »

I used the Behr Silver Screen paint on the front side, sense I had a seem on my billboard tarp that was giving me a really bad hot spot. After putting on one coat I could see where I missed during the morning. The sun was coming right through. I ended up putting on 4 coats nothing comes through now. Mine is staying up year round sense we seem to have an eternal summer here in So. Cal. As Tronn said mine has had no problems yet, but it's only been two months. I do have a sample piece that has been kind of balled up in a corner. The paint seems fine on that, but not sure how it will look when you stretch it out. There are creases in the tarp.
Player

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 11:34:54 am »

No seams or hot spots on my tarp, just the bleed through. In fact I get a really nice picture on it.
Unfortunately I canít leave mine up since the wife wouldnít tolerate it and I move it to the in-lawís pretty often. I was looking at fabric and vinyl paint like this.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-Fabric-Vinyl-Flat-Black/21017381?  Says it wonít rub off, crack or peel.
Iíll give it a try and report back with the results.
Player

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:16:36 pm »

Finally got around to painting the vinyl. I used vinyl/cloth paint from the auto parts store. Itís supposed to be for car interiors and not crack or peel (about $7 a can). Since I was just blocking bleed through, I didnít worry about making it pretty, but it still took 5 cans to get a good coat on the 9í x 16í screen.
It definitely solved the bleed through problem. No more words showing through when there is light behind the screen. With the sunset behind the screen, I can start a little earlier without the distraction of the signage bleed through.
After 4 times putting it up and taking it down, it seems to be holding up really well. I roll the screen onto a piece of 3Ē PVC and I havenít noticed any cracking or peeling of the paint so far.
Not sure if the vinyl/cloth paint is available in a flat white (I would suspect it is), but it seems it would be a good option for painting a tarp or even cloth to get a cleaner surface and maybe a little more gain.
SR
Offline Posts: 707

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 02:04:18 am »

Finally got around to painting the vinyl. I used vinyl/cloth paint from the auto parts store. Itís supposed to be for car interiors and not crack or peel (about $7 a can). Since I was just blocking bleed through, I didnít worry about making it pretty, but it still took 5 cans to get a good coat on the 9í x 16í screen.
It definitely solved the bleed through problem. No more words showing through when there is light behind the screen. With the sunset behind the screen, I can start a little earlier without the distraction of the signage bleed through.
After 4 times putting it up and taking it down, it seems to be holding up really well. I roll the screen onto a piece of 3Ē PVC and I havenít noticed any cracking or peeling of the paint so far.
Not sure if the vinyl/cloth paint is available in a flat white (I would suspect it is), but it seems it would be a good option for painting a tarp or even cloth to get a cleaner surface and maybe a little more gain.

Player,
I would really like it if you would report back about the painting next summer.  Soon, and possibly as soon as next spring I will be loosing my current outdoor theater, which has a wood screen.  When this happens I will start a new outdoor theater, likely just down the street from my house in a friends vacant lot.  As much as I do like the wood screen, it definitely has it's disadvantages.  Namely that it is a huge, heavy and near in movable object.  I think billboard will be my next screen, for one I like it, and for two I have access to a some but it would be black, which means painting it would be absolutely necessary.

SIT & VUE "3" OUTDOOR THEATRES

PLEASE VISIT US ON THE WEB!
WWW.SITANDVUEOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM

WWW.NIGHT-SKYOUTDOORTHEATRE.WEEBLY.COM
ranman101

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 12:45:04 am »

I've had my painted screen up now for the whole summer here in California. It sits in the direct sun most of the day. No cracking, peeling, or any damage. Except the occasional bird poop. Just wash it down and move on. So far very happy.
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 05:28:03 pm »

I've had my painted screen up now for the whole summer here in California. It sits in the direct sun most of the day. No cracking, peeling, or any damage. Except the occasional bird poop. Just wash it down and move on. So far very happy.

Did you use paint specifically for vinyl, or regular old outdoor house paint?

ranman101

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 11:14:21 pm »

Regular outdoor paint. It's been great so far. Used 3 coats. Mostly because after looking at a solid color surface very long, I may have missed a few spots. lol
SR

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 11:55:04 pm »

Regular outdoor paint. It's been great so far. Used 3 coats. Mostly because after looking at a solid color surface very long, I may have missed a few spots. lol

That's great news, regular outdoor paint is much easier on the budget than the specialty stuff.  I am really liking this idea.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: