Backyard Theater Forum
December 12, 2017, 02:32:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: If you find BackyardTheater.com useful, please tell others who may be interested.  The more the merrier!

Home Help Search Login Register   *
44 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 12, 2017, 02:32:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Digg This!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My overnight Rear Projection Test  (Read 182533 times)
Danoplex II

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2007, 06:49:06 pm »

BobH,

You know most projectors have the ability to do a reverse image so if you are doing rear projection the graphics and text are not backwards....right?

Dano

victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2007, 01:11:48 am »

Update: I folded over the 6mil to become a 12mil sheet in trying to lessen the hotspot. Yes, the hotspot is lessened, enough so that the image is watchable, but is still there.

I use my semi-diy projector, the old Infocus with the "built-in" dvd player, which is a lower lumen projector but still plenty bright for outdoor use. Because of the way it was constructed, I cannot reverse the image so all text will be backwards.

Nonetheless, here are the results:

The sheet folded over and stapled together

Closeup

Victor
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:07:33 pm by victor-eyd » Logged

Big Screen Outdoors
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 01:15:03 am »

Finally some images:

with flash

without

The hotspot is visible, but again less annoying than before

The camera overcompensates for the image. its actually more of a diffuse circle than a washout as you see

Victor
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:09:25 pm by victor-eyd » Logged

Big Screen Outdoors
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2007, 01:17:56 am »

Again, its noticeble...

But depending where you sit, especially to the sides, it might not be so distracting

[You'd think the wrinkles would be annoying

But its not

Ulitmately, I can't really recommend this for outdoor theater use, other than a halloween setup where its more for effect rather than watching a show. At least you won't break the bank should you decide to setup one for the holidays...

Victor
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 08:14:10 pm by victor-eyd » Logged

Big Screen Outdoors
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 11:53:16 pm »

Update 2: As recommended by bholio and others, I tried using the white fabric as opposed to the frosted on this test. The results were simple: the white works everywhere the frosted does not. It can easily do rear projection and will not hotspot. Here are some images of its proof of concept

First, which brand to get. Hint0 it cosst only 1.97 per 70x72 panel. all you need is some clear 2" tape and you're all set!

Front:

Rear:

Front:

Rear:

Front

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
cinepro
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 05:24:12 pm »

Hi Victor

I would suggest you play with a mirror, it might shorten the distance to the screen, reduce the hotspot and place the text the right way around.
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 06:28:40 pm »

Using a mirror will shorten the throw but I doubt it will reduce the hotspot. Using the white instead of the frosted is an easier, quicker, and costs just as much (perhapds less) than any other method I've seen or experimented with.

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
yappypappy

New screen set up

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 01:01:02 am »

Victor ,, I just did an outdoor test on my fabric that I had for a screen indoors , it is shiny fabric , and when I went behind to see how it looked ,there was no difference in projection from the front to back . This was fabric that is white with a bit of shine to it and see through a bit. I have been trying to get some more as the screen was way to small outside and I need to double it .My friend said you better get the wrinkles out by ironing it and I said ,don't worry you wont see them at night and have you seen a drive in screen and what it looks like during the day.. I am thinking of doing a curtain type that can be hooked when I want so neighbours don't freak about huge screen out back, I also attached it to trampoline ,using poles standing up from it ,should of taken pics ,but will start this weekend coming up ..
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 11:33:35 am »

looking forward to the pics yappy. Is it blackout cloth that you're using for the screen (fabric on one side/rubbery on the other)?

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
yappypappy

New screen set up

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 04:48:52 pm »

No,, it  is not blackout cloth ,just white fabric for around 2 a metre.I have used blackout cloth but I will go with this stuff for outside as it is cheap and just as good,and if I have to wash it no problem. I hope to have it going by weekend ,I will  be just doing temp set up and take down . I will post in new thread on mine own  as not to hijack this one on you.. p.s. I am selling my diy pj stuff on kijjijji locally now..maybe get back into later again.did my second lcd in ,
victor-eyd

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2014, 12:30:56 am »

Hello, its been awhile  Grin

Tonight I tested what I thought was good material for rear (or front) projection- plastic table cloths. Now you can buy this at any party store or walmart/target/etc. and maybe even in the $0.99 stores. As such, I got these at walmart: $0.97 for the black, and $1.47 for the white 3pack (they ran out of white singles). They measure 54x108, so if you will probably need to trim but they are so cheap if you mess up it'll be only a dollar to resume. I usd my garage for testing with two projectors: An Eiki LC-X990 which I got at a surplus store (with working bulb) for $35. It has a lumen strength of 2200 lumens but considering the age of the projector I can't imagine anymore than half by this point. The other is a nearly new Optoma PK201, which has only 20 lumens. I shelled out $100 for this baby used (I almost bought its newer cousin for only $40, but didn't). The resolution of the Eiki is XGA, 1024x768. The optoma is 858x480, which is native DVD quality.

The connections are clips burned onto a thumb drive and played via a Viewsonic media player, which is connected to the Eiki via component. The  files were saved onto Optoma's internal hard drive, so external media player was needed.

I used a clip from This is Halloween song from Nightmare Before Xmas, Madame leota from Disney, and Hallowindow 3.

The sheets were stapled from the top and placed side by side. I noticed that they are very light, much lighter than the shower curtains so in moderate wind they could easily tear unless you secure them very well. i also notice that the white will hotspot, perhaps not as bad as the frosted curtain liner.

From the inside of the garage

From the outside

With the Eiki- notice the hotspot glow

Note that the black cloth handled the 1000lumen or so image, so clearly it can work for people who want to project but don't want guests to see a projection screen.

More hallowindow

This is Halloween

You can see that the black, not surprisingly, eats up a lot of colors (and pop of the image) so if you want to project on black it has to be white or at least very bright projections

Madame Leota

Here is the Optoma, resting on top of the Eiki

As you can see its very small, just slightly larger than an iphone

From the same distance, I was able to get a similarly sized image, around 88x48 from 16t away. But I past the max I could focus so the image was a little blurry. Pushing the throw down to 11ft, I could get a 32x58 sized image and good sharpness.

Surprisingly, the image is quite good at this size, the the colors play pretty well on the black as well as the white

also notice hotspotting has been reduced.

Here is a good representation of a tiny 20 lumen projector ability to project a good image in spite of it low lumen rating. For people with low lumen projectors you will have a visible image to project. But resolution is also important so images coming from other projectors with lower resolution might have blockier images to contend with at this size.

Hope all this helps for projection options this Halloween

Victor

Big Screen Outdoors
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: