Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
129 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 18, 2017, 01:20:09 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[November 03, 2017, 03:29:04 pm]

[October 21, 2017, 12:27:05 am]

[October 16, 2017, 02:36:34 pm]

[October 13, 2017, 10:21:19 am]

[September 23, 2017, 10:06:50 am]

[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Outdoor Theatre Take 1  (Read 10077 times)
gdmanry
Offline Posts: 90

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2006, 09:36:56 am »

Well, we finally finished this thing Sat night just in time for a BETA test and it worked superb.  The sound was incredible just using my regular Kenwood Amp and some really good outdoor speakers for 5:1.  I bought an outdoor sub that looks like a tree stump, but like a moron I bought it on impulse not thing how stupid a tree stump would look growing out of the concrete. LOL  Anway, new outdoor tree stump sub for sale!

Below are some pics and as you can see still have some buttoning up to do with the projector stand and the electronics, but for now it at least shows a great movie!  I still need to mount the electronics in a locking cabinet so I don't have to drag it in and out at night, and I still have to permanently run the speaker wire behind the fence and so forth once the electronics are in the cabinet.  Below are the pics of the setup so far.  Nice thing about this hobby is it never ends.  No matter the setup you're always looking at  ways to improve the quality.  I'd post more pictures but they are so large it would only let me attach 1.  Any suggeastions are shrinking the file size so I can post more?

gdm

* 000_0136.jpg (824.43 KB, 2304x1536 - viewed 987 times.)
hiredpower
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 10:05:28 am »

gd,

Very nice work, it looks like you're well on your way.

I can tell there are grommets on the bottom of the screen, but how is it attached on the other three sides?
rrg
Offline Posts: 169

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 10:16:11 am »

The setup looks great. Am I to believe that the stand in the middle holds the projector extended directly over the pool. Shocked  WOW you are brave. But I give you an A+ for creativity. I know I would be very nervous if someone bumped it, even a little bit.

After closer inspection it looks like it's secured to the cement, Nice.

Yes, these setups are never done. I still have speaker wire management issues to work out.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 01:04:07 pm by rrg » Logged

MY SETUP| Screen: Regular Trapeze  - Frame: 10'x20' EMT stand - Projector: BenQ mp720p - DVD: LG 511 - Sound: 5.1 Yamaha Reciever
gdmanry

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 02:22:32 pm »

Dazian was supposed to cut it so that when stretched it cam out to 16 X 9, but they cut it too long so I had to improvise.  Attached to the poles are these 6 foot long metal bars that attach to the pole with a clamp and then I simply wrapped the bungee around the pole and hooked it to that.  You cant see the grommets but they go around the entire screen.  I was going to return it and have it redone but I did not want to wait so I said the heck with it since it turned out ok.  There is a pic below that kind of shows we secured it to the pole.

As far as the pj stand goes, yes it does hold the pj directly over the pool.  Unfortunately until I can afford one of those whopper pjs with huge throw distances this is what I am stuck with.  The stand is driled and glues into the concrete with 1" threaded rod about 8 inches deep, and the pole itself is welded pretty good so the chance of a mishap are small, although I get nervous when people are around it.  Luckily, it is to the left of the slide in a kind of "dead area" where nobody walks because they would run into the slide.  I might however still get some kind of net so if it did fall it would not fall in the pool hopefully.

Thanks for all the kind words, and let me know if there is anything else anyone is curious about.

gdm

* 000_0142.jpg (672.93 KB, 2304x1536 - viewed 863 times.)
rfisk
Administrator
Offline Posts: 2416

imageek

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 03:15:00 pm »

Man, that looks cool, gdm -- literally.  And relaxing.  A big floaty chair with a built-in battery powered blender and Iíd be all set!

Great job!  Is the projector in a housing?  You're right.  It's never finished.  There's always something new to test.

Hereís an online tool for resizing images.  It might help if you didnít get some software with your camera.  Dropping 4-800k images on a page slows things a bit so itís best if theyíre compressed a little.

http://www.resize2mail.com/

You'll need to "right click" and save the image after it's resized.

Thanks for sharing your photos and info!!  Keep us posted. 

Nicely done.

Randy

"Instead of cursing the darkness, light a candle for where we're going.  There's something ahead worth looking for." -- Neil Young

rrg
Offline Posts: 169

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 04:33:46 pm »

One easy alternative to the pipe wrapping attachment is to use tent  clips on the EMT which work great and can clip at any point after you stretch the screen flat.

MY SETUP| Screen: Regular Trapeze  - Frame: 10'x20' EMT stand - Projector: BenQ mp720p - DVD: LG 511 - Sound: 5.1 Yamaha Reciever
Pass_The_Off
Offline Posts: 215

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 08:50:20 pm »

What a great job !

Haveing the Projector over the pool?    I'm not going to be near that water.
Unless one has a very large "Isolation transformer"

On average four people died due to electrocutions in swimming pools every year.

Shocked

But if you must:

The projector has to be pluged into a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt (GFCI) outlet.
Then
Rule # 1:  No one in the pool when the projector is over the water and is hot.

---------------------------------------------------

To resize an image.   Use  Microsoft "Paint" program that comes with windows.
(in the Accessories Folder)

Open the image with Paint and then select "Image" from the menu bar at the top.

Select "Attributes"

You can now enter new values for the with and height of the image.

click "OK" or just hit enter key

Save the image
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 08:10:33 am by Pass_The_Off » Logged
Emperor PalpaTim
Offline Posts: 48

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 10:36:10 am »

Do they make a special lens for your projector to increase your throw distance?  (I know they do for my projector. ) Given the choice, I'd invest in that before taking a chance of losing my projector in the pool. 
gdmanry

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 01:05:21 pm »

I'll definately look into that EPT.  I did not realize that may even be an option.

I'm not too worried about it falling in the pool as the chances are pretty small, but I do worry that on the very small chance it did, someone could get hurt.  As of right now nobody is using the pool when a movie is going until I can get the GFCI installed, and feel a little more comfortable with the pj stand design.  I know the weight of the projector and pole will not pull the 6" threaded rod from the concrete pool deck, and the stand itself is welded together to withstand close to 500 lbs, but accidents do happen.  I'm also looking into installing some kind of safety harness or safety net for it to fall into should something happen.

The luckiest thing is that 99.9% of my company are adults, so by 9PM (when it gets dark here in Ga) we're all pooled out and just want to sit back and watch a movie.

Also, since I use this every night for my regular TV most of the time it's just me & my wife anyway.

I do appreciate all the concerns and ideas, and please keep them coming.  Puttin it over the pool was definately not what I wanted to do, but I'm just using what I have to work with.

Keep the Ideas coming!

gdm

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: