Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
125 Guests, 0 Users
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 20, 2017, 04:22:58 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[September 18, 2017, 10:29:07 pm]

[September 12, 2017, 09:43:17 pm]

[September 11, 2017, 10:58:22 am]

[August 31, 2017, 05:10:11 pm]

[August 17, 2017, 06:11:09 pm]

[August 11, 2017, 07:20:57 am]

[August 08, 2017, 01:16:07 pm]

by SR
[July 19, 2017, 11:18:24 pm]

[July 17, 2017, 10:29:24 am]

[July 03, 2017, 08:31:37 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to build a backyard theater on the cheap  (Read 340688 times)
BYDoug
Offline Posts: 2

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2015, 03:04:13 pm »

There's been a couple of changes since I last posted. I upgraded my receiver to 5.1 and added an 18" Sony sub that I set on a 4'x4' cut piece of plywood to help distribute the low frequency. I still want to get some pics up here because it's such a cool and easy set up and the sound now is like bringing the indoors outside. I added a couple of front speakers that were FREE on Craigslist. They're vintage Realistic towers and for the front they sound amazing. I coupled those with two Pioneers floor speakers (again vintage) in the back and an older KLH cabinet speaker for a center channel. All big speakers with plenty of sound!

The last movie I did all the folks that came over were blown away with the sound quality. I normally start out the evening with a concert (usually Clapton from the Crossroads series) while it's still too light to see. Then as the image starts to appear I can tweak the video settings to make it clear and crisp. With the horseshoe pits and a few other games we're good for the afternoon. We'll fire up the grill or the smoker and make a day of it!

Let me know if I can help anybody with suggestions or ideas on how to do this on the cheap. I'm thinking next of possibly going 3D... and maybe 7.1... blue rays are getting cheaper so if anybody has any ideas on that that they would like to share then please reply to my post!
genesis76
Offline Posts: 3521

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2015, 04:00:48 pm »

There's been a couple of changes since I last posted. I upgraded my receiver to 5.1 and added an 18" Sony sub that I set on a 4'x4' cut piece of plywood to help distribute the low frequency. I still want to get some pics up here because it's such a cool and easy set up and the sound now is like bringing the indoors outside. I added a couple of front speakers that were FREE on Craigslist. They're vintage Realistic towers and for the front they sound amazing. I coupled those with two Pioneers floor speakers (again vintage) in the back and an older KLH cabinet speaker for a center channel. All big speakers with plenty of sound!

The last movie I did all the folks that came over were blown away with the sound quality. I normally start out the evening with a concert (usually Clapton from the Crossroads series) while it's still too light to see. Then as the image starts to appear I can tweak the video settings to make it clear and crisp. With the horseshoe pits and a few other games we're good for the afternoon. We'll fire up the grill or the smoker and make a day of it!

Let me know if I can help anybody with suggestions or ideas on how to do this on the cheap. I'm thinking next of possibly going 3D... and maybe 7.1... blue rays are getting cheaper so if anybody has any ideas on that that they would like to share then please reply to my post!

Sounds great     Clapton with Phil Collins on drums.....Right? Grin
ThriftStoreKing
Offline Posts: 11

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 21, 2017, 01:16:29 pm »

I have been fortunate to find some good projectors for around $30-$50 bucks at thrift stores.  They are by no means Super High Def but they work for outdoor activities.  My sound system was my biggest investment.  I have a system that will shake foundations... the only problem is that it is a bear to haul around.  So I'm currently trying out a smaller system that will adequately work for a back yard, and yet will be much easier to transport.  Folks have started making requests to have the movies in their back yards and I'm getting too old to haul the big stuff around.  My screen is a 7 x 12 foot piece of canvas that has been very durable.  Contact local schools and colleges to see if they are upgrading their AV equipment and you might just score a good deal on a projector. My 2.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: