Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
79 Guests, 2 Users
Pyronious, Sewkites
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 01:37:51 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 12:33:44 am]

[Today at 12:00:23 am]

[Yesterday at 12:21:20 am]

[July 27, 2014, 03:53:38 pm]

[July 27, 2014, 01:47:47 am]

[July 26, 2014, 05:02:08 pm]

[July 25, 2014, 06:35:15 pm]

[July 25, 2014, 05:04:54 pm]

[July 24, 2014, 10:50:06 pm]

[July 24, 2014, 08:43:44 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: daylight projectors  (Read 19795 times)
aohjoe1
Offline Posts: 3

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2006, 06:08:49 pm »

My question is simple. Are there any projectors that will display on my outdoor screen during the day?  I have seen some 5000 lumens for sale, but I want to know if they will work outside during the afternoon.

Thanks Joe
Cherry Hills
Offline Posts: 1181

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2006, 07:03:21 pm »

It's gonna be tough. Front projection relies on reflecting light, and that means your screen will reflect as much sunlight as projected images, if there's any present.

Think about those big-screen displays at outdoor stadiums. They use light bulbs or LEDs - which emit a fair amount of light - to overcome the problem. That's the only sure way to do it. You have to create the light for the image (bulbs) or you have to eliminate any light that's going to compete with the reflection of your projected image.

Rear projection might work. I just wrote a note in another thread about a setup I saw in the airport. It wasn't out in bright sunlight, but it was in a pretty light area and it looked good. Check out the screen section for the thread on rear projection alternatives. That could be what you're looking for. But if you laready have a screen and you want a projector big enough to outshine the sun, it's gonna have to be a BIG one.

Cherry Hills Drive-way Theater
aohjoe1
Offline Posts: 3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 08:06:45 pm »

So you don't think a 5000 lumens would do the trick?
Danoplex II
Offline Posts: 1285

Can You Hear Me Now?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 08:09:56 pm »

In sunlight I am thinking 5000 will NOT do it.  The Indianapolis Museum of Art does outdoor movies on about a 50' x 50' screen.  They set the projector up prior to dusk and you can see the image but it is washed out.  They use a 10,000 lumen Sanyo.  The thing is the size of a small boat!  Again, with 10K lumens it is visable but not brilliant like I am sure you want.

Dano

Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 11:29:17 pm »

5k lumens might get you something usable but only with rear projection. And even then, I'm not sure. I just know it would be better than front projection, but not necessarily adequate for what you want to do.

You could always try it by getting a small scrap of smoked plexiglas and projecting from  behind. If it works on a piece thats, say, 2x3', then you can figure out how many lumens you'll need to fill a 6x8' piece, or whatever. (I will predict, however, that 5k lumens won't be anywhere near enough, since the light intensity diminishes as the square root of the distance to the screen. At twice the distance, you need four times the light; three times the distance, nine times as much light, etc.)

cheftom
Offline Posts: 247

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 08:34:17 am »

http://www.biggair.com/en/2_products/5_biggaircube/index.html

This is the best option I have seen.

When Excellence is Available, Good is Not Enough
aleuni
Offline Posts: 854

Our Theater, Your Yard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 10:22:33 am »

You know I have been really meaning to experiment with this concept.  I have a Scair Room that I use for video gaming in the daylight (kids inside, pitch black).

I have been meaning to set up the screen like the Bigg Air concept.

I promise one day I will do it. 

From what I was told from the people that I purchased my screen from  is that What I need to do is eliminate the light coming from the back.  That would be 50% of the light hitting the screen.  If you put the sun behind the set up that would bring the light down another bit. 

I have a 4100 lumen PJ so if it does not work with that then ... foget about it!

The room is 13x13 so I would have to reflect the image off of a mirror to get the distance that i need to fill up the screen.

Alex
www.fatscreens.com
"No idea is a good idea, until it is your idea"
hiredpower
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 02:18:43 am »

Here's a link to a manufacturer of ambient light screens:

http://www.holodisplays.com/index.html
Cherry Hills

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 10:16:39 am »

I'd bet that this is what I saw hanging in the airport. I was thrilled to see that "plain old smoked acrylic" worked so well in such a bright area, but if it seems to good to be true, it probably is, right?

hiredpower
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 05:31:20 am »

Here is Open Air's version of the daylight projection cube:

http://www.openaircinema.us/info/outdoor-screens/pact_show/id_19408144/

They offer three sizes...

Small (9.2 ft x 5.2 ft) 16:9 format; easy to change to 4:3 format (9.2 ft x 7 ft)

You'll need 12,500+ lumens of light for this one. Grin

Medium (15.7 ft x 9 Ft) 16:9 format; easy to change to 4:3 format (13 ft x 10 ft)

25,000+ lumens for the medium Shocked

Large (21.3 ft x 12 Ft) 16:9 format; easy to change to 4:3 format (17.5 ft x 13 ft)

50,000+ lumens is required for this bad boy Grin
cheftom
Offline Posts: 247

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 08:21:34 am »

Any Idea on pricing?

When Excellence is Available, Good is Not Enough
aleuni

Our Theater, Your Yard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2006, 10:16:16 am »

Wow ... on the lumens!

Price out a projector with those lumens and then you may realize that you will probably not have any money left for the screen.

I saw a Christie projector on ebay 6000 lumens $3000.  That bad boy weighs 225lbs  Very used from a production co.

and 3k is VERY cheap for that PJ

Alex
www.fatscreens.com
aleuni

Our Theater, Your Yard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2006, 06:34:12 pm »

Alright I was pressured in trying this out.  Although it was only a preliminary trial, I think it can work.

I got a call from a potential contract for next week so that got me moving fast.

I set up my Scair Room, opened the top part of one of the doors, and hung some spandex material that I have for make shift screens.  and this is what I got.

I had very little time to set up this first test so I just connected my camcorder and played whatever was in it, ( Footage of my 2 yr old in her room. ) Y It was about 5:00Pm and a bit cloudy,  The sun in this pic is to right of the screen I was trying to get a worse case senerio and that the worst I could get in my tight space.

And the movie is playing not Paused and no tripod.

I think it is worth taking it to next level.  I will work on it before this weekend

I'll keep you posted......

should I start a new thread or am I still on topic?

BTW I will make the screen bigger i was seeing if it was even going to work first

* dscf0955.jpg (48.35 KB, 640x480 - viewed 550 times.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2006, 06:51:28 pm by aleuni » Logged

Alex
www.fatscreens.com
aleuni

Our Theater, Your Yard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2006, 03:37:25 pm »

Alright sit down guys..

I just spoke with the guys at open air cinema which use to sell the big air products in USA and i asked them about the daytime viewing screens

and he said they start about $70,000.  They (open Air) tried to get them (biggair) to explain how these things worked and they told him that these screens arrive at your location in a box and then you need to figure it out yourself.  how to put it together and the type of projectors.  Appearently they only sell the screen. 

So they will also try to make a knock off if the market ever ripe for it. 

They assumed that at 12000 lumens .  They are probably stacking projectors refelcting off a mirror or 4 projectors are shooting at 1/4 of the screen.

Just some more info

Alex
www.fatscreens.com
kelemvor
Offline Posts: 1377

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2006, 04:14:36 pm »

You could just get one of these:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/03/panasonics-10-0000-lumen-th-dw10000-projector/

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: