Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
54 Guests, 3 Users
Sparge, genesis76, ActionJax
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 06:45:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 06:07:51 pm]

[Yesterday at 04:07:06 pm]

[September 16, 2014, 07:06:53 am]

[September 16, 2014, 07:00:23 am]

[September 16, 2014, 06:56:26 am]

[September 16, 2014, 02:00:40 am]

[September 13, 2014, 05:19:33 pm]

[September 13, 2014, 02:27:59 am]

[September 12, 2014, 10:52:45 pm]

[September 12, 2014, 09:08:53 am]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SpargeFest 2009 - BYT Enthusiast Meet Up!!!  (Read 37988 times)
Sparge
Online Posts: 2847

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:42:40 pm »

Attention thrill seekers!

Here's your chance to meet:

the man...

the myth...

the legend...

S P A R G E !!!

Read what BYT enthusiasts are saying about Sparge...

"Sparge - You never cease to amaze me"

"Sparge, Knowledgeable response. Thanks"

"Sparge actually knows what he's talking about"

"Sparge is officially my hero!"

"What Hawkes is to blender renders you are to audio."

"Sparge..you are one sick animal"

OK, seriously now...

My family and I are proud to announce that we'll be hosting...

SpargeFest 2009 - A Backyard Theater Enthusiast Meet Up

in Elyria, Ohio on Saturday, August 8, 2009!

Elyria is about 30 miles west of Cleveland and is easily accessed via I-90 or I-80 (the Ohio Turnpike).  We're hoping the opportunity to meet fellow BYT enthusiasts, swap stories, tinker with BYT gear and generally have fun will entice members not only from all over Ohio (Cleveland, Columbus, Cincinnati, Toledo) but from other cities (Detroit, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, Chicago) in surrounding states as well.  I suspect we'll have a spiffy door prize for the furthest traveled!

As part of the agenda I'm orchestrating something of a Technical Show-and-Tell with attendees volunteering to bring whatever components they'd like to show off or demonstrate.  For instance, I personally would like an opportunity to see firsthand a high definition (HD) projector and Blu-ray player combo sitting side-by-side with my standard definition (SD) gear.  I've already had a couple of members offer to bring various sound system components and screen builds, too!

I expect we'll be running no fewer than THREE screens including a special demo build I'm working on that will be 1/3 vinyl tarp, 1/3 black out cloth (BOC), and 1/3 Dazian Trapeze fabric.  I'll of course have my 20' EMT-framed screen up as well.  That's two screens right there!  I'm hopeful someone will volunteer to bring a PVC-based frame and/or an inflatable (Gemmy, CB, etc.) for variety.  If I can coerce anyone into bringing an inflatable CB screen I'm sure a lot of us would love to see one of those up close!  Shocked

I'm going to suggest everyone show up whenever they can on Saturday.  I figure during the daylight hours we can talk shop and tinker with audio gear.  I've got enough stuff to do some mini clinics on 2.0 vs 2.1 vs 3.1 vs 5.1 sound, compare and contrast a subwoofer crossover design with the LFE channel from 5.1, etc.  It doesn't need to be dark to listen to music or a movie soundtrack!  Maybe someone will volunteer to bring a pair of those fabled EON powered speakers and give us a taste!  I know somebody east of us that makes a pretty mean center channel, too!  Or maybe he'll want to show off that new subwoofer he's building!  You know who you are!  Wink

There will of course be picnic-style food and games!  How extravagant we get with the food depends upon how many people RSVP.  As hosts we'll supply the meat (brats, hot dogs, hamburgers - don't expect steaks, but pork loins aren't out of the question) and suggest everyone bring a side dish or desert to share.  It only seems fitting to give some of the great suggestions from the "Best BYT Recipes" thread a go!  I hear there's a source of some sensational apple pies to our east, too!  You know who you are, too!  Wink

We have a Wii and PS2 for those that would like to try their hand at gaming (Wii Sports, Guitar Hero, RockBand, etc.) on the BIG screen!  I suspect we'll have enough screens and equipment to dedicate one screen just to gaming for the night.  If anyone wants to bring their PS3 or Xbox that would be cool!  Cool

Hey!  Who knows, we might even get crazy and show a movie at this thing!  Grin

We realize it might be a long drive for some.  There are lodging options!  Even with three or more screens we'll still have plenty of room for those who want to pitch a tent to camp overnight.  There's also a couple of decent hotels (indoor pool, Internet) within a five-minute drive of screen central.  I'm going to have some of my homebrewing buddies on hand and expect there will be some good beer flowing.  We'll whip up some of Cafemom's Queens Lemonade, too!  At the end of the night one can stumble back to their tent or we'll be glad to have one of our designated drivers shuttle you back to your hotel.  Cool

So, here's your opportunity to meet Sparge (actually my family's a lot nicer than I am) and fellow BYT forum members, see hear and touch some cool BYT gear, swap interesting BYT stories, eat tasty BYT food, and generally just have some BYT fun!

If you're interested in attending then reply to this thread!  If you've got a screen or equipment that you'd like to bring then let me know!  We'll work out the details of who's bringing what as we go!  Driving directions to the event will be sent via subsequent PM or email.

We hope to see as many of you as possible "At The Movies!"

-Sparge-
movielover
Offline Posts: 2270

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 04:51:50 pm »

Read what BYT enthusiasts are saying about Sparge...

"Sparge - You never cease to amaze me"

"Sparge, Knowledgeable response. Thanks"

"Sparge actually knows what he's talking about"

"Sparge is officially my hero!"

"What Hawkes is to blender renders you are to audio."

"Sparge..you are one sick animal"

is that what they're saying about sparge ? i must be in the wrong forum lol  Grin

I hear there's a source of some sensational apple pies to our east, too!  You know who you are, too!  Wink

i'd love to find a good apple pie, if you have a name let me know  Grin

are you providing a bus for us eastern folks ?
i'm thinking of myself, kenalwine and movieman and i'm sure there's more.

Kladder Station Classic Movies - Drive-In & Outdoor Theater
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 04:56:48 pm »

Car pool?  Smiley

-Sparge-
movielover
Offline Posts: 2270

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 05:00:12 pm »

Car pool?  Smiley

-Sparge-

i do not like to drive long distances, if i could hitch a ride i would come.
you are about 4.5 hours from my place.
i'd bring my CB screen / blower and any other equipment anyone would want to see if i could make it and yes an APPLE PIE !

i'd even close for the day  Grin

Kladder Station Classic Movies - Drive-In & Outdoor Theater
hiredpower
Offline Posts: 394

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 05:05:04 pm »

I can bring;

JBL - Eons/JRX Sub

Dynacords

Mackie/Tapcos

Denon A7100

American made 16' x 9' inflatable

Believe in Hired Power Entertainment
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 05:15:21 pm »

i'd bring my CB screen / blower and any other equipment anyone would want to see if i could make it and yes an APPLE PIE !

Movielover, I hope you're able to work out travel arrangements.  We'd love to have you and anyone else from the "keystone" correction state.  Smiley

I'd certainly take you up on the offer to bring your CB screen and, of course, the pie!  Grin

That is truly a compliment!  Thanks!

-Sparge-
bmac
Offline Posts: 1334

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 05:19:02 pm »

I can bring;

JBL - Eons/JRX Sub

Dynacords

Mackie/Tapcos

Denon A7100

What?  No cheesecake on a stick?  Grin

Sounds like you've got about 60% of the audio demo right there.  I'm thinking this event is going to be huge.
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 05:25:07 pm »

I can bring;

JBL - Eons/JRX Sub

Dynacords

Mackie/Tapcos

Denon A7100

Hiredpower - You are my hero!  Smiley

I'm sure many of our forum members would enjoy meeting you in person - including myself.

I'm getting ready to head out the door in a few minutes.  I'll send you an email later tonight to start a dialogue.  You've accumulated some cool toys.  I know I want to hear those Dynacords!  Grin

-Sparge-
tscoff
Offline Posts: 840

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:02:24 pm »

I'm a solid maybe depending on the weather.  I already have plans for that weekend, but if it isn't raining I'm going to cancel my plans and come out.

I'll bring my Blu-Ray player, light cannon (3000 lumen) 4:3 PJ (sorry, it isn't HD), a pair of my Yamaha speakers, and my portable rack/case with a DN-A7100 and 2 Crown amps.  I would love to compare my Yamaha C112V speaker to the C115V model by switching back and forth between the two to compare and contrast the larger woofer vs. the smaller one.  I'm pretty sure that Sparge and I have the same "line" of speaker (it's either him or Coon Creek) only he has the 15" version and I have the 12" version.  If I make it, I think that it would be great to compare them to see which one we prefer.  I was told that his are better for music and special effects while mine are better for vocals and dialog.  I bought the smaller one because there was no way I was going to fit 4 of his in my car while I can fit 4 of mine in my car.  It's a tight fit, but it works.

Joe@SSL
Offline Posts: 685

Heigh ho, heigh ho it's off to the back yard I go.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 09:52:53 pm »

Sparge,

Sounds like fun, count me in... (weather permitting)

I can bring
Electro Voice Sx300's (12" hipacks)
Electro Voice Sb120's (12" subs)
B-52 ACT-18's (18" subs)
Amps, amps & more amps...

Tascam's DV-D1U
Dell 4100MP

Custom 20'x12' stretch screen with a truss hanging frame

Anything else you need?

Backyard Theater - Featured Member
plymouth
Offline Posts: 355

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 10:12:47 pm »

Just emailed BYP to see if he wants to carpool. The only thing we are concerned about is if we ask Sparge where's the beer that we'd get a five paragraph answer... Cool
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 12:12:23 am »

I'm a solid maybe depending on the weather.  I already have plans for that weekend, but if it isn't raining I'm going to cancel my plans and come out.

I would love to compare my Yamaha C112V speaker to the C115V model by switching back and forth between the two to compare and contrast the larger woofer vs. the smaller one.  I'm pretty sure that Sparge and I have the same "line" of speaker (it's either him or Coon Creek) only he has the 15" version and I have the 12" version.

tscoff,

I really hope you're able to join us because that means the weather turned out favorable!  Grin

I have the Yamaha S115V cabinets.  The "S" series have carpeted cabinets with steel corner protectors for transport.  The "C" series have spray coated cabinets and were meant for fixed installations where they could be painted to match the surroundings.  The "C" series also have a slightly different grill.  The specs between the "S" and "C" series are comparable...

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/ContentDetail/ModelSeriesDetail/0,6373,CNTID%253D23807%2526CTID%253D229400,00.html

We hope to see you there!

-Sparge-
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 12:21:54 am »

Sounds like fun, count me in... (weather permitting)

Joe,

That sounds great!  I love that everyone's eager to bring and show off their stuff!

I'm going to create a master list of who's offered to bring what gear with primary and secondary candidates for duplicate items (in case someone can't make it for some reason).  Of course bringing an entire rack's cool with me if it's easier to transport that way!

This is getting exciting!

-Sparge-
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 12:27:30 am »

The only thing we are concerned about is if we ask Sparge where's the beer that we'd get a five paragraph answer... Cool

Well, first I'd have to point out that "beer" is actually a generic term that encompasses both "ales" and "lagers".  I'd then have to inquire as to which you seek.  If you're unfamiliar with the characteristics of each I might have to do a small dissertation on the sub-styles and flavor profiles of each.  Of course, once you've made your selection then there would of course be the instructions directing you to the correct tap handle, bottle, etc.  I'm not sure I can get all that down to only five paragraphs!  LOL!  Grin

-Sparge-
tscoff
Offline Posts: 840

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 06:33:22 am »

I live between your house and Sparge's house.  If the weather is good and you can drive to my house, I can drive the rest of the way.  Unfortunately we'll have to discuss what to bring.  My car is pretty small if you remember from the meetup at your house last summer and there won't be room for everything.

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: