Home FORUM Help Search Login Register  
73 Guests, 1 User
shawn_ky
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 11:03:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Backyard Theater Marketplace
Projectors at Wal-Mart
Projectors at walmart
Recent
[Today at 01:02:18 am]

[Yesterday at 11:49:34 pm]

[Yesterday at 11:44:14 pm]

[Yesterday at 08:32:38 pm]

[Yesterday at 12:05:26 pm]

[Yesterday at 02:38:57 am]

[November 23, 2014, 07:31:54 pm]

[November 22, 2014, 09:32:18 pm]

[November 20, 2014, 12:02:36 pm]

[November 17, 2014, 11:17:57 pm]
Add a BYT Badge to your website!

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies

Backyard Theater - Outdoor Movies  

The Most Watched Projectors on eBay

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommend stakes, line and tie-down  (Read 9112 times)
scottw
Offline Posts: 60

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2009, 09:50:03 pm »

I added legs to my screen and after a windy night decided I needed "guy lines" to tie the screen down. I know I can attach the eyebolts to my 90's at the top but can someone recommend a type of line, stakes and the tie-down that I can pick up from Home Depot or Lowes??

Also do I just run 2 lines from each side (4 total)..one running down the back and one down the front?

I think I would prefer to just run the lines down and wrapped around, not sure what it's called but you wrap it around more and more to make it tighter (sorry I'm and idiot)  Cheesy and then into the stakes.

Thanks for helping a newbie!!!
Joe@SSL
Offline Posts: 685

Heigh ho, heigh ho it's off to the back yard I go.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 07:10:14 pm »

I'd be looking for pet tie-out stakes and some ratchet straps.

Backyard Theater - Featured Member
scottw
Offline Posts: 60

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 10:10:43 pm »

Thanks...are the pet stakes the screw down kind??
Joe@SSL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:29:45 pm »

Thanks...are the pet stakes the screw down kind??

Yes

Nitemoves
Offline Posts: 17

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 12:43:07 am »

Hey Guys,

I too use the "critter"  auger anchors with ratchet straps to  secure my 1 3/8 tubed frame.  They are simple and do the trick. You might go with "The Claw" from Creative Shelters. The holding power looks impressive in the video on the Web site. I would like to use it for my new 16x9 CB. The problem is that a majority of the places where I am "invited" to set-up have underground sprinkler systems. Spikes and PVC don't mix well together. Short of using a location device, what  other  methods for tethering do people use?

Thanks,

Boyd 

"Work is an unnecessary evil to be avoided." - MT
Joe@SSL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 07:23:59 am »

Short of using a location device, what  other  methods for tethering do people use?

I've also been known to use 5 gallon buckets filled with water.  easy to empty, stack & put away at the end of the night

audiobuff2
Offline Posts: 140

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 10:03:03 am »

I used some nylon ropes, (clothesline?) thin enough to tie a knot around the eyebolts, and used some 10" nails hammered into the ground at an angle.  I saw a simple tensioner here some where which I used.  6" piece of 2x2 with two holes drilled through it. Thread the rope through one hole and back up the other, knotted off so it doesn't slip back through. Just slide the block up or down the line to adjust tension after placing the loop over the nail.

* loop.jpg (3.98 KB, 163x176 - viewed 1290 times.)
Paul16mm
Offline Posts: 84

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 02:37:20 pm »

I have permanently attached cleats (the little metal things you wrap rope around in a figure 8 pattern) to my garage, the neighbor's fence to the West of us, the neighbor's garage to the West of us, and the neighbor's fence to the South of us.  Ropes go from these four points to the top of the screen.  I was worried about pulling over the neighbor's fence, but she replaced it with a new fence a couple years ago, so that is OK.  Now, I only need to worry about her garage falling over.

So, if you don't have any garages conveniently located, you will have to build some to have a place to attach your screen guys.
nevinh
Offline Posts: 215

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 11:17:06 pm »

I was using 5 Gal Buckets on my gemmy, which seemed to work ok, but I really want something that says "STURDY" and not WHITE TRASH.

Plus in moderate wind without the screen yesterday the wind tipped over the buckets while i was drying the frame out.

I am looking at the Claw from creative shelters, but it seems a bit pricey at $20 each, and I would need probably 8 of them (4 on the tops, 4 on the bottom)

Thinkink more about the auger types, but I don't like the idea of tearing up somebody's yard or my own.  But then again, would I rather have the yard have 4 holes in it, or have the screen come and hit somebody.
Sparge
Offline Posts: 2862

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 10:02:47 am »

I was using 5 Gal Buckets on my gemmy, which seemed to work ok, but I really want something that says "STURDY" and not WHITE TRASH.

Plus in moderate wind without the screen yesterday the wind tipped over the buckets while i was drying the frame out.

The energy of wind varies by the square of its velocity.  There are a lot variables (atmospheric density, the shape and texture of the surface, etc.) that come into play when calculating how much of that energy is transferred to any given surface.

Under average conditions, assuming a flat surface, the following formula is readily accepted:

P = 0.003 x v

where P is the pressure in pounds of force per square foot and v is the velocity of the wind in miles per hour.

So, a moderate 20 mph wind generates 1.2 pounds of force per square foot:

P = 0.003 x 20
  P = 1.2 pounds per sq ft

Assuming the overall surface area of a Gemmy is 12' x 12' (the entire structure, not just the screen) that would be 144 sq ft.  Using the above formula, a 20 mph wind would exert about 173 pounds of force on the Gemmy.  If the wind speed gusted to 30 mph it would exert 389 pounds of force on the Gemmy.

Five gallons of water weighs only about 42 pounds.  For four buckets that's roughly 168 pounds of "security".  So, you can see even a moderate 20 mph wind (or gust) is enough to drag four buckets along for a ride.  The reality is only about half the buckets are going to be in play at any given time depending upon the wind direction.  So, it's even easier for the wind to wreak havoc!  If a bucket or two tips over and the water spills out then you're going to lose that weight.  Once the catastrophic cycle starts it's just going to pick up speed!

I wouldn't trust open-top buckets to "secure" a screen.  If someone came to my yard using five-gallon, open-top buckets with even a modest screen like a Gemmy I'd tell them to get out.  If they brought gallon jugs I'd smack them over the head with them!  You might as well not even bother.

With my 20' x 10' screen a 20 mph wind exerts about 240 lbs of force.  However, my screen is elevated with a rigid frame.  If the wind is blowing directly at the screen it will want to tip back.  The back edge of the frame will remain in contact with the ground but the front edge will lift up off the ground.  That lever action will increase the "rise" force on the front edge of the frame to something over 240 lbs.  My mother probably weighs 120-130 pounds.  I normally have her and/or others stand on the frame until we get it anchored.  During one particular set up where the wind conditions were light but gusty we had her and the screen up off the ground!

I am looking at the Claw from creative shelters, but it seems a bit pricey at $20 each, and I would need probably 8 of them (4 on the tops, 4 on the bottom)

Thinkink more about the auger types, but I don't like the idea of tearing up somebody's yard or my own.  But then again, would I rather have the yard have 4 holes in it, or have the screen come and hit somebody.

I have (and love) the Claw anchors from Creative Shelters:

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Canopy-Accessories/The-Claw-Anchor.aspx

They're rated for 1,200 pounds each.

The back of my EMT frame has three anchored supports (original Creative Shelters design).  So, I only need two claw anchors with ratchet straps in the front to secure my 20' x 10' screen (see pics).

I can see how an inflatable like a Gemmy might use eight anchors.  You could probably get away with four.  Secure the tops as normal.  Then use rope to secure the bottoms out to those same four anchors.

I'm not a big fan of augers.  I have some of these:

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Canopy-Accessories/Canopy-Accessories.aspx?ProductGroup=AugerAnchor

I've never been able to get them into the ground.  The yard is just too hard.  Anybody want to buy them off me?  Cheesy

-Sparge-

* claw_01_lowres.jpg (149.61 KB, 512x683 - viewed 168 times.)

* claw_02_lowres.jpg (194.68 KB, 683x512 - viewed 145 times.)
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 10:42:07 am »

Always tie down your screens (and bounce houses)...

News Clip (kids hurt):

http://www.redlasso.com/ClipPlayer.aspx?id=19b5a655-520c-4d20-93f7-f41112dbaa5a

Flying Bouncers:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/F5Iux7e-8No" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/F5Iux7e-8No</a>

A couple of clips reposted from the forums.

-Sparge-
Mackinac Movies
Offline Posts: 96

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 02:44:54 pm »

I have and love teh CLAW clamps.  I use 8 on my 16 & 20' screens.  $20 ea is a little pricy, until you use one for the first time.  They more then pay for themselves with ease of use.  Also get a claw hammer at the doller store, and grind out the inside a little so it is wide enough for the CLAWs nails.  Makes removing them a breeze.

--Neil--
BoulderDriveIn
Offline Posts: 56

Boulder Drive-In

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 07:54:41 am »

I have (and love) the Claw anchors from Creative Shelters:

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Canopy-Accessories/The-Claw-Anchor.aspx

They're rated for 1,200 pounds each.

The back of my EMT frame has three anchored supports (original Creative Shelters design).  So, I only need two claw anchors with ratchet straps in the front to secure my 20' x 10' screen (see pics).

-Sparge-

Sparge,

I wish I had done a bit more research last season.  I used 4 x 18" plastic tent stakes and had them pulled from the ground during the night. Luckily my screen survived.  I just ordered 4 CLAWs.  Looking at your photos it appears you tie the front two to the lower horizontal support and the back three are they fastened to the top of your screen?

I have a similar screen so I would like to do the same.

Thanks,
-Paul
bmac
Offline Posts: 1334

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 08:58:01 am »

Hey Guys,

I too use the "critter"  auger anchors with ratchet straps to  secure my 1 3/8 tubed frame.  They are simple and do the trick. You might go with "The Claw" from Creative Shelters. The holding power looks impressive in the video on the Web site. I would like to use it for my new 16x9 CB. The problem is that a majority of the places where I am "invited" to set-up have underground sprinkler systems. Spikes and PVC don't mix well together. Short of using a location device, what  other  methods for tethering do people use?

Thanks,

Boyd 

I use sandbags similar to these with my CB:
http://www.sandbagit.com/

The vendor I used apparently is no longer in business, but the ones in the link above actually hold more sand (75 lbs each vs 50 lbs in my bags) ad appear to be well-constructed.
Sparge

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 12:30:32 pm »

I wish I had done a bit more research last season.  I used 4 x 18" plastic tent stakes and had them pulled from the ground during the night. Luckily my screen survived.  I just ordered 4 CLAWs.  Looking at your photos it appears you tie the front two to the lower horizontal support and the back three are they fastened to the top of your screen?

I use only two claw anchors.  They're fastened to the lower front horizontal near each end using ratchet straps.  Crank the ratchet straps down until they're stiff but don't overdue it.  You can bend the EMT!

In the back there are three EMT support poles that come down from the very top of my screen.  Those are anchored into the ground with stakes made of EMT.  If you look at the original Creative Shelters design you'll see these supports.  I did modify mine a bit in that I flipped the fittings around where they anchor into the ground.  I'll see if I can find pics and post them later.

-Sparge-

Links monetized by VigLink

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: